CDC's RECOMMENDATION- NO COMMERCIAL AIR?

For those of us who purchased round trip air, how are we to get home? it says during the COVID 19 pandemic. How long will the pandemic last?  My cruise, if it is still on, is from Southampton on May 29th. Does anyone have any clarification on this policy?

Edited by Phillip Diamond Plus
mispelling

My wife and I have it the other way round... we are UK citizens due to travel to NY to join the May 24th Oasis sailing out of Bayonne. Needless to say we have booked return tickets with a commercial carrier.

That said of course, we are reconciled with the facts that:

1. it is highly likely the sailing will indeed be cancelled, and

2. even if it does go ahead, if the international travel restrictions into the US are not sufficiently relaxed we won't be able to make the trip anyway!

Stay safe one and all.

CDC guidelines don't have an end date on them so they apply to the situation right now.  That makes it difficult to forecast what the guidelines might be 30, 60 or 90 days from now.  

May 29 is 53 days from today.  I'm not sure anyone including the CDC knows where we will be 53 days from now.  Hopefully the peak will be behind us and we will be in a much better place but that is pure hope and speculation on my part. 

I fear that even if we have moved past the peak infection count that life won't be fully back to normal by June 1st. 

That doesn't really answer your question.  I don't think anyone can answer your question today including the top experts. 

We will live the next several months at the mercy of the virus, it is in control of the timeline, we are not. 

I've seen a couple YouTube videos about this, but searches on the CDC site don't bring anything up that is this draconian. It seems very poorly thought out if this policy is the case.

Has anyone seen the actual policy?

Once the situation settles, and cruising starts, I don't see this policy prevailing especially once it hits the courts and there are temporary holds placed on the policy. This thing spreads in hospitals...what are they going to do with people who exit those buildings. Cruising is getting a really bad rap through this and is being made a scapegoat.

I think the CDC recommendation was geared specifically to the current ships that were trying to debark passengers.

*I think* once the governor of Florida refused entry last week then the actual return was allowed but handled poorly that the CDC pushed out a recommendation aimed specifically at that scenario - "ship with infected or suspected infection should be handled like this".

I don't think it was meant as a go forward "every ship in the future should do this" policy.