High High prices on beverage packages.

Royal has often posted high package prices on distant cruises.   Its been discussed here many time long before the virus.  

In the end the market dictates the price.  If package prices are too high people won't buy them, then they lower prices until the desired sales volume is reached.  

I havent even gotten to beverage package pricing yet, still trying to find cruises with reasonable prices that i can roll my existing cruises over to.

I would like to support the industry by letting them "hold" my money rather than taking the refund but i look at the prices and feel like i am not seeing the value to justify it. If i take the refund now the price will probably come down (or they will hold price and not sell the berth) so why let them keep the money when i can just buy it later.

I had to go from EOS in March (great deals on the Blue Lagoon and $18.99/pp/per day on The Key)......Now, the prices for the EOS 9/25/2020 sailing has about a 25% higher price on the Blue Lagoon and $26.99/pp/per day on The Key.......I know The Key is not popular with some, but it was a good deal in my mind as I needed Internet as well......I am watching and hoping for some deals when sailing (hopefully) resumes soon....

BTW, I would have loved a drink package (my wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary a wee late now); but we will be buying a drink at a time at these prices (especially with having a couple of non-CoCo Cay port days).

PS - Thanks everyone for sharing all the information on here!  It is so helpful!

We’ve got $65 for deluxe on our replacement Symphony cruise in October. Had it for $60 on our May that was cancelled. 

Our October 2021 Odyssey is $72! We actually weren’t considering it for this cruise as it’s Italy/Greece and so port intensive. I’ll bring 2 bottles of wine or prosecco on board and use our Diamond freebie drinks/happy hour. 

I was waiting for my Jan 2021 Cruise Planner options to open, and they finally have. I am seeing the same $72 for the Deluxe Bev. and $34 for the Refreshment pkg. The 3 device Surf and Stream is also $53.97 which is a huge jump up from what I paid for the same 3 device S&S just in February.

Interestingly, if you add 25% to the normal-ish $58 DBP price, you get $72.50. Maybe this makes up for the 125% Cruise Planner deal on cancelled cruises? #RoyalMathWillGoOn

I wonder if these are the default prices without any RC math for a discount. I looked at my Jan 2021 cruise, the DBP prices are $89 for a 4 day Mariner  itinerary. The cruise fair was barely $400 per person in interior. Meaning the cost of the cruise per day is only slight more than a drink package.....that is bananas. I am sure the prices will go down when everything gets back up and running

I have limited insight currently, but it appears that the prices are adjusting, in some cases, back to normal ranges ... my October 2020 Allure is showing $60 at 20% off  and the February 2021 Anthem is showing$77 at full retail. Clearly it is time to book additional cruises!!

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

I just looked at my Nov '21 sailing on Harmony (RCBGC over Thanksgiving) and saw $84/day for the UBP.  That is steep in my opinion.  I know I can book it now and hold it to see if price drops.  But, I am probably going to wait and see what happens with it.  Plenty of time between then and now.

I hope it goes lower, I definitely need the DX for that sailing!!  #teamdx

Odyssey Nov. 2020 deluxe beverage package is 61 $USD which is actually a good price for a 4 night cruise.   

It's long been noted that cruise planner package pricing 12 - 24 months out is high.  Simple response is don't buy it that far out.

In the aftermath of the $18 drink package mistake any occurance of a high price 18 months away was incorrectly blamed on attempting to correct for the $18 mistake.

It's no surprise to me that once again people are seeing high package prices 12 - 18 months away and now incorrectly claiming that COVID is to blame.

If COVID was the reason then all cruises for the rest of 2020 would have high package prices - they don't.

Wait until your cruise is 6 months away and start looking again.

17 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I havent even gotten to beverage package pricing yet, still trying to find cruises with reasonable prices that i can roll my existing cruises over to.

I would like to support the industry by letting them "hold" my money rather than taking the refund but i look at the prices and feel like i am not seeing the value to justify it. If i take the refund now the price will probably come down (or they will hold price and not sell the berth) so why let them keep the money when i can just buy it later.

Don't worry to much as they are holding everyone's money at the moment

10 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Same for Harmony Mar 21.  Pretty crazy considering we paid $59 CAD for our Adventure cruise this past Dec.  That's literally double!

My guess this is one way they are going to try and make up for the hiatus in sailing this year.  People will pay the prices.  Not everyone, but there are those that will pay it.

• 1 month later...