Pay Remaining Balance

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but curious on people's opinions.  I have a cruise end of June, so far have only paid the deposit.   The pay the balance date is approaching.  I feel paying the balance would be bad business sense on my part right now as I'd rather hold on to my money, then pay and get a FCC when/if it gets cancelled.  Not sure how RCC is handling that, or if anyone has run into this scenario lately.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Rawdog88 said:

I'm not sure if this has already been covered, but curious on people's opinions.  I have a cruise end of June, so far have only paid the deposit.   The pay the balance date is approaching.  I feel paying the balance would be bad business sense on my part right now as I'd rather hold on to my money, then pay and get a FCC when/if it gets cancelled.  Not sure how RCC is handling that, or if anyone has run into this scenario lately.

Thanks

If the cruise gets cancelled the FCC is not your only option. You also have the choice they a full refund back to the original credit card. 

You do not have the option to pay after the final payment date and then get an FCC. They will not extend the final payment date.  You certainly can choose to Cancel With Confidence, in which case an FCC will be awarded for your down payment.  To be honest, I’m not sure exactly what would happen if you just fail to make final payment. My guess is that you would receive a full refund of your down payment to your CC but I’m really not sure.  If you want an FCC for the full amount of your cruise, you would need to make final payment. If you pay the full balance on time and then Royal cancels the cruise, you would be entitled to either a full refund of all costs or a 125% FCC, whichever you choose.

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation.  I have a back-to-back scheduled June 12 and 15.  I went ahead and paid them off. 

If they keep to the current schedule and things are returning to normal, then great!

If the cruise lines push another 30 days, that should be June 11... so maybe?  If they push another 60 days, I'm hoping for the 125% FCC to still be in effect.  

I weighed all of that against wanting to be one of the first to cruise again (if they push to June 11).  I figured the ships are going to sparkle with all the cleaning and sanitizing.

I am so looking forward to the cruise, that I'm heartbroken at the thought of it cancelling.  So much so that I jumped at the Lava Flows on the blog yesterday... Oh, yummy (and thanks for the suggestion!).

IMG_0318.JPG

It has always been my understanding that if I didn’t pay my balance by final payment due date, I would forfeit my entire deposit.  Has that changed?  

So far, I believe the only cancelations that have made by RCCL for cruise dates before final payment was due are Alaskan and possibly a few New England cruises.  I believe they were given the option to move the deposit to a later cruise date with no NRD penalty or receive 100% refund.

My sailing is 28 June 2020 and my final payment was due a few days ago. (Harmony) I also paid it in the hopes that the mitigation works and we get a good handle on this pandemic. If RCCL cancels I have instructed Sharla (MEI) I would take the 125% FCC and apply it to my Thanksgiving 2020 sailing (Odyssey)  if that doesn't go then apply to my summer 2021 (Allure) or my newly booked Thanksgiving 2021 (Oasis) where I believe I found an amazing price for that sailing.  I am staying away from the cruise planner for now as my prices there have just sky rocketed. 

I know in my heart that RCCL will only sail if it is safe for their passengers and crew, I expect a much more thorough screening before embarkation but if they don't sail I feel just as safe with Sharla advocating for me and my FCC.  Be safe & good health to you all. 

blue water sky GIF

I have a final payment coming up soon for a short cruise on July 3.  I'm highly likely to cancel rather than pay.  I doubt I'll feel comfortable sailing then, but I think it's at least possible that some cruises could start operating in early July.  Even though I could "cancel with confidence" just before the sail date, I figure I'd rather have less money tied up in an FCC than in my own bank account.  Of course, it's also possible that RCI will cancel that cruise and I'd have the possibility of a refund, but as for me, I don't think I want to pay now to wait to see what RCI does.