Explorer of the Seas (Amplification)

I am writing to seek advice regarding a cruise booked on Explorer of the Seas - February 12, 2021 through February 21, 2021). While sailing on Symphony of the Seas in February, 2020, we visited NEXT CRUISE and made a reservation to sail on Explorer of the Seas. We were originally interested in sailing on Oddessy of the Seas during the same time, but the Sales Manager convinced us to book Explorer because the ship was scheduled for Royal Amplification ($110 million of renovations). Unfortunately, based on the the situation with the COVID-19 Virus affecting the world, Royal Amplification has been placed on hold indefinitely, through no fault of Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately, I have until April 15, 2020 to make a change to my reservation without losing my deposit, and that date is fast approaching. To be perfectly honest, the reviews of Explorer tend to indicate the ship is in need of some tender loving care, which would have been accomplished through Royal Amplification. So, I am requesting your advice on this matter from fellow loyal RCCL cruisers. Do you think Explorer of the Seas will complete its amplification prior to my cruise (any inside information would be appreciated)? Would you switch the reservation to Oddessy of the Seas or another newer ship? For the record, I really like the 10 day itinerary to the ABC islands, but the quality of the ship is a major issue for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Umpire Mike said:

I am writing to seek advice regarding a cruise booked on Explorer of the Seas - February 12, 2021 through February 21, 2021). While sailing on Symphony of the Seas in February, 2020, we visited NEXT CRUISE and made a reservation to sail on Explorer of the Seas. We were originally interested in sailing on Oddessy of the Seas during the same time, but the Sales Manager convinced us to book Explorer because the ship was scheduled for Royal Amplification ($110 million of renovations). Unfortunately, based on the the situation with the COVID-19 Virus affecting the world, Royal Amplification has been placed on hold indefinitely, through no fault of Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately, I have until April 15, 2020 to make a change to my reservation without losing my deposit, and that date is fast approaching. To be perfectly honest, the reviews of Explorer tend to indicate the ship is in need of some tender loving care, which would have been accomplished through Royal Amplification. So, I am requesting your advice on this matter from fellow loyal RCCL cruisers. Do you think Explorer of the Seas will complete its amplification prior to my cruise (any inside information would be appreciated)? Would you switch the reservation to Oddessy of the Seas or another newer ship? For the record, I really like the 10 day itinerary to the ABC islands, but the quality of the ship is a major issue for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’d switch to odyssey. Even ships that have been amplified don’t get the rooms upgraded, just fresh beds and linens. 

I'd say if you booked purely for the amplification, then changing to Odyssey might not be a bad idea. 

While I don't think there's anything wrong with Explorer in her current form, I do recognize it's better to have the updates and changes.