Is a guaranteed cabin as bad as it sounds?

Just in general is a guaranteed cabin as bad as it sounds? It sounds like you are going to be basically assigned a room in a bad location or whatever is left? You also won't know your room number till it could be just a few days before the cruise? 

We have never done a "Guaranteed cabin" before. We almost did it on our Oasis cruise but it was cancelled by Royal. We had a Central park interior view/window to Central park for the longest time and then a few weeks before it was cancelled moved to a "guaranteed ocean view". I personally don't like not knowing the cabin number. We now have a Central park balcony for 1,791 but a guaranteed central park balcony is 1,399 but again no idea the room number till who knows when. Insane thing is a "guaranteed ocean view" is only 1,458. Prices are insane. 

By the way our Central Park balcony is Cabin 12597. Not knowing Oasis much I like the location. Any thoughts in general?

I have used the GTY cabin booking twice. First time I was "upgraded" from an interior room to a Central Park View right by the rear elevators on Symphony. Second time my balcony GTY was right next to the forward elevators on Anthem. Both were pretty good in my opinion. If you are not concerned with where you may end up it is a good way to reduce your costs that you can then use for things like excursions or dinner/drink packages. 

Think it depends on who you are going with, how long the cruise is, etc.

I had one bad experience ... not really a guarantee it was a free "upgrade" to a room directly above the night club .... bad bad bad bad bad bad experience.

And a couple of ok ones ... inside cabins in not great locations but i didnt care.

On some of the short cruises, were its just me or a small group, its more about minimum price and location doesnt matter.

On others where i have a big group, or expect to want to enjoy the balcony or sleep at all (see nightclub above) then probably not my first choice.

We re-booked our May Alaska cruise in July. We've never done GTY before but the difference in cost was over $3K for 4 of us in 2 balcony cabins. We would not have been able to go in July if we picked our balcony.

What I did was look at available cabins when we booked using the RCCL website. Then used cruisedeckplans.com so see which of the available balcony cabins were an issue. I came up with 2 - one with a obstructed view, the other with only half a balcony - while alot of the remaining balconies look fine. My wife is concerned because 90% of the time on the ship last time we did Alaska was spent on the balcony.

So hoping for the best IF, big IF, we actually sail in July.

Thanks guys, I should have mentioned this is being paid for with FCC which should be around 2,300/2,400. We will have FCC leftover after this cruise. Looking into 2021 already. I think we will stick to what we have. I like knowing our cabin number and knowing where it is. I usually like to be very high up in the ship when in a ocean view balcony but with a CP Balcony I kinda would like to be on the lowest level of this cabin category. Deck 10 is the lowest in a Central Park balcony? 

6 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Thanks guys, I should have mentioned this is being paid for with FCC which should be around 2,300/2,400. We will have FCC leftover after this cruise. Looking into 2021 already. I think we will stick to what we have. I like knowing our cabin number and knowing where it is. I usually like to be very high up in the ship when in a ocean view balcony but with a CP Balcony I kinda would like to be on the lowest level of this cabin category. Deck 10 is the lowest in a Central Park balcony? 

Deck 9 Central Park cabins have windows only so yes, deck 10 is the lowest Central Park balcony.  Central Park itself is deck 8.  

When booking a GTY assume you'll get a cabin no one else wants.  That way if you get a poor location you won't be upset since your expectations will be met.   Often the worst case scenario doesn't happen and you can end up with an average or better than average cabin at a savings.  

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Deck 9 Central Park cabins have windows only so yes, deck 10 is the lowest Central Park balcony.  Central Park itself is deck 8.  

When booking a GTY assume you'll get a cabin no one else wants.  That way if you get a poor location you won't be upset since your expectations will be met.   Often the worst case scenario doesn't happen and you can end up with an average or better than average cabin at a savings.  

Yeah I'd rather be on deck 10 in this cabin category just because you'd be closer to all the beauty of Central Park. That is just my thinking but I have not sailed Oasis so I don't know.

59 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Simply put. Three S`s   for your room location.       Sleep - Shower - Sex  and a couple of other words that don`t need to be published.  

I do find myself taking at least 2 showers a day on a cruise which is funny. One in the morning and then just walking around the ship, getting sweaty or going in the pool I have to take one before dinner. Wish I could say the same for the last one on your list. ?