Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya

hail73

I think we all need something to get our minds off of this COVID thing. Assuming that my cruise in September is a go...

What are some of the best excursions you all have done in these locations? Roatan, Cozumel, & Costa Maya.

I am open to anything: snorkeling, scuba, beaches, hiking, history. Was looking into the cenote excursions in Mexico. 

Best beaches in these places? What excursions are worth the money?

Roatan - we enjoyed the Gumbalimba Park tour with Zipline adventure (purchased through RCL, but I believe it's also available directly through the park). Included the zipline, monkeys/ macaws/ park tour, and beach time. There is a small cafe with limited food/ drink options. I think there is also a fresh water pool, and you could rent snorkel/scuba equipment.

Cozumel - we opted for the Chichen Itza Ruins since we weren't sure if we would ever make a trip to the Yucatan other than another cruise stop. The history is fascinating (at least to me) and I'm glad I did it despite the long travel time and limited time spent at the ruins. If doing this tour, DEFINITELY book through RCL.

Costa Maya - made reservations at Maya Chan Resort (not an RCL excursion) and was worth beyond what we paid. Friendliest staff, great (and constant) drinks and food. Fresh water pool is AMAZING. There was a seagrass issue (this was soon after Dorian) and they gave us a few options - automatic refund, or going to the resort and seeing for ourselves and offering to return us to port with a full refund if we didn't want to stay. We opted to stay and had the most relaxing time. Kayaks, SUPs, floats and (maybe) snorkel gear were included. Massages available for an additional fee.

In Roatan, we loved the snorkeling there and I thought better than many of the other islands.  We used Roatan Eco Tours the first time and the second time we booked with Daniel Johnson.  Our trip with Daniel Johnson was cancelled due to Covid19, but we were really looking forward to the Snorkel, hangout, beach tour.  

We' eve been to Cozumel 2x. We chose Nachi Cocon Beach club.  It was all inclusive and limited to 130 people. Grounds were clean, food and drinks were delicious and the staff were wonderful.  We had access to their pool and swim up bar or chairs and umbrellas on the beach.  Other clubs have inflatables and are more of a party atmosphere. My family enjoys relaxing (with a little pampering). 

On 4/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, hail73 said:

I think we all need something to get our minds off of this COVID thing. Assuming that my cruise in September is a go...

What are some of the best excursions you all have done in these locations? Roatan, Cozumel, & Costa Maya.

I am open to anything: snorkeling, scuba, beaches, hiking, history. Was looking into the cenote excursions in Mexico. 

Best beaches in these places? What excursions are worth the money?

At Roatan we enjoyed Maya Key, which is close to the ship, for guided snorkeling and general relaxation.  For Cozumel, our best excursions were either the Amazing Secret River or Tulum, both requiring the ferry to the mainland.   (Diamond International in downtown Cozumel should be approached warily -- check prices on their website before you go into the store.  They are pleasant to deal with but notorious for overcharging tourists.  We have had both good and not-so-good experiences there.)

At Costa Maya, you can walk the shops in the nearby village (take a short tram ride or cab), but we enjoyed Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. 

We use Royal for lengthy excursions so there is no risk of being left behind.

We sailed last September, and the weather was great. 

In Costa Maya, we took a cab into town and spent an afternoon at Krazy Lobster.   But my wife still had time to hit the jewelry stores in Costa Maya.

In Cozumel, we go to Mr. Sancho's.   Always super friendly service, food and beverages included, and a great massage spot close to the beach for just a few extra pesos.

Have  not made it to Roatan yet.