southern Caribbean

Reab07

I'm cruising to the southern Caribbean on freedom in dec 2020. I have a 4 and 6 year old and was wondering what other peoples experiences were regarding the temperature and if it gets too cold for swimming on the beaches. we live in Boston so should be accustomed to cooler temperatures at that point. thanks !

I did southern Caribbean over NYE this year and I was surprised it was as warm as it was!  I never realized geographically how far south Aruba and Curacao were.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised...the temperatures were warm with the sun out but there wasnt as much of the oppressing tropical humidity.  The water was refreshingly cold but bearable to swim in!

Coming from Seattle in the winter, I think it's plenty hot to go swimming. Same from Boston I'd imagine. Someone that lives in Florida would probably have a different opinion though

Aruba

Weather averages

MonthHigh / Low(°F)

October90° / 80°

November89° / 79°

December87° / 77°

More about this destination

Your southern Caribbean is likely st kitts, st Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, st Maarten. St Maarten is the most northern and might be chilly water. I’ve been there in March and it was ever so slightly chilly. Last year I was there early April and got in the ocean. 

Barbados is the most southern and in my opinion always very warm. Similar to Aruba as both about same distance from the equator. 

You’ll definitely have some ocean time. 

It seems to me that once you get East of the jet stream that runs North/South east of FL the temperature is pretty similar year round.  The water may be a little cooler, but not much.  In short, if you go out of San Juan and go east or south, you will be fine.