Cruising to the Caribbean in September?

hail73

I am hoping to cruise sometime in September, since my April cruise was cancelled. I know this is hurricane season for the Caribbean and just wanted some input from others who have cruised during this time. 

Would you recommended cruising during this time? What are some pros and cons for cruises in September?

Thanks in advance!

Pros, cost is less, fewer kids, bars don't have long waits ?

Cons - be prepared to not go on the itinerary you chose because it may get changed, may have less days than originally scheduled, may get more days than originally scheduled ?

If you are flexible and dont get stressed over worrying if your cruise will happen, Sept is good time to cruise.

12 minutes ago, hail73 said:

I am hoping to cruise sometime in September, since my April cruise was cancelled. I know this is hurricane season for the Caribbean and just wanted some input from others who have cruised during this time. 

Would you recommended cruising during this time? What are some pros and cons for cruises in September?

Thanks in advance!

We sail almost always in Sept and hurricane season because of that price and they run kids sail free in those times of the year. You really need to be flexible and just go with the flow. Last 2 times to Bermuda on Anthem and NCL Breakaway we were cut short. Breakaway was 3 days in Bermuda and we only left like 4 hours early. Anthem on the other hand we were supposed to have like 18 hours and it ended up being like 6 hours so that was a total loss. We then made the decision to try Spring this year outside of hurricane season so we booked Oasis in early May. Well that was cancelled on us so we are back to Sept on Oasis. 

On 3/27/2020 at 12:33 PM, hail73 said:

Thanks in advance!

We sailed the Western Caribbean itinerary September 2019 right after the hurricane.  Weather was fine.  Just make sure you have some type of travel insurance.  It's impossible to predict in advance what weather will be like and where/when a hurricane will strike.

Feel differently than most: we, in the past, cruised the Caribbean during hurricane season.  Over several cruises, we experienced ports skipped, hours shortened in ports, arrival delays upon returning, plus a ship that followed bad advice and turned into a hurricane.  Decks closed, all glassware in gift shops broken, people thrown from beds during the night.   Obviously the last was an exception, but we no longer cruise the Caribbean during hurricane season - there are too many other choices, including rivers, the Great Lakes, Europe.

The peak of hurricane season is Sept 10 with a secondary peak Oct 10.  The ships for the most part can adjust to avoid storms.  Sometimes your Eastern Caribbean itinerary will become a Western Caribbean itinerary.  As long as you are ok with that you should be fine.

The only usual real problem is a hurricane that hits the  home port on change over day.  Can't avoid that.

Just now, RCVoyager said:

The peak of hurricane season is Sept 10 with a secondary peak Oct 10.  The ships for the most part can adjust to avoid storms.  Sometimes your Eastern Caribbean itinerary will become a Western Caribbean itinerary.  As long as you are ok with that you should be fine.

The only usual real problem is a hurricane that hits the  home port on change over day.  Can't avoid that.

I agree, like I'm perfect for hurricane season because to me the ship is the destination. I'm flexible and don't care where I end up. 

The only reason that doesn't work for me is going to Bermuda because it's one stop and you need time to explore otherwise it's really a loss because that's the only place you are going to. If you don't get time there then there really is nothing.