Upgrades

I have an inside cabin on the Explorer of The Seas. I am traveling solo. I have a Bogo60 NRD of -435.00, Saving NRD -50.00 for a total of 1124.86  I wanted to upgrade to a virtual inside for an increase in total price on RCCL to 1242.90 which included Flash sale -50.00 Resident NRD -176.00 and 30% -582.00. The agent said I could not do this unless I cancelled and lost my 450.00 deposit. Otherwise she said it would cost me over 900.00 to upgrade to a virtual inside. I have never had this happen !!!!

Have others had this type of experience where you are unable to upgrade to current prices???

Where can I find more information on codes and rules????

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

What region are you located in?  Rules vary by region and Explorer moves between regions so it's important to understand where you live,

Also, when the cruise is can play a role as well.  After final payment due date rules are sometimes different than more distant bookings. 

Wisconsin and the cruise is in November. Final payment is in August.

In the US you only impact your deposit if you change ship or sail date on a non-refundable booking.

Even then you don't lose your deposit entirely, there is a $100 fee per person and the rest of the deposit becomes a future cruise credit.   That is only when you change the ship or sail date.

Typically before final payment due date you can upgrade your cabin.  I suggest calling again and speaking with a different agent.

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Did you use a TA or did you speak with on of RCL's agents on the phone?

I used a TA so Royal will not help to clarify questions regarding this. 

I included a supervisor at the travel agency and she made no comment to the agent saying I would lose the 450.00 deposit in order to upgrade for less than 900 from an inside guarantee to virtual inside. I won’t use this agency again. I will wait and hope for the offer from Royal. For that amount I could bid on a suite!

I