Quarantine Purchases

ellcee

For those whose cruise is still on - Anyone else stuck at home thinking about when we can move past this all and pondering big cruise planner purchases??? You know, stuff you wouldn't normally purchase? A drink package, a cabana, the dining package? Basically, what you're gonna splurge on when this is all over?

I'm still hoping our July 29 Adventure cruise is still on, so that we get to make full use of the $18 drink ? package we snagged ?.  Really, my ideal is just sitting by the pool with a book and a drink, so I doubt I'll even leave the ship (mobility issues also make that harder, so it's a win/win for me).  We get a couple of free meals from our TA, and DD and I signed up for the sushi class, so I'm good in that department.  

9 minutes ago, ellcee said:

For those whose cruise is still on - Anyone else stuck at home thinking about when we can move past this all and pondering big cruise planner purchases??? You know, stuff you wouldn't normally purchase? A drink package, a cabana, the dining package? Basically, what you're gonna splurge on when this is all over?

I would be thinking about those splurge purchases IF the prices were budging at ALL...but they’re not. It will be interesting to see prices (fares and CP purchases) come down to entice existing and loyal customers or if they go the route of maximizing prices.  I would think that #2 would be a mistake but I’m often wrong about such things !

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Will anyone use their stimulus check to book a cruise? Or maybe splurge for something like a cabana?

My 19 year old should be getting one, and knowing her she might use some of it to book dinner at Sushi on 5 one night, along with a spa treatment.

I won’t be able to do the same, have a recent kitchen remodel loan to pay off, so any stimulus check I get will be going toward that.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I am definitely thinking on a dining package - skipping the MDR except for lobster night....For me, this is pushing the envelope!

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I'm not American but isn't this the whole idea for the stimulus checks?

Yes and no.  For people that need it to pay bills they will.  For those who find the money disposable they will buy whatever to temporarily prop the economy up until business gets moving again. 

This situation has actually had me to rethink my cruises and I ended up having to cancelling a few. I cancelled my October 16th EOTS and November 2nd NOTS that were going to prop up my LOTS Oct 25th sailing. I am thankful to be working from home but it has affected vacation time at my company. I am literally just at the threshold for the stimulus check and I am being pragmatic and putting it into my retirement account. I am thinking about upgrading to a grand suite and doing the Mystery Dinner since I can no longer do the three cruises.

20 hours ago, JLMoran said:

To be fair, our social "safety net" is ridiculously low-end compared to yours, or basically any other first-world country. At least you have true universal health care and free / very inexpensive college.

true.   we do have our health care..   I forget sometimes.. lol   I hope my response above  didn't come across as being rude.  I forgot to add "lol"..

On 3/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, Matt said:

Will anyone use their stimulus check to book a cruise? Or maybe splurge for something like a cabana?

If we get one (unclear as I am too lazy to the do the math) - we may book something to replace our Galveston Allure cruise that just moved at least a year out. I am curious what the ship shuffle is going to look like after all of this. Allure was supposed to replace Liberty out of Galveston. If Allure isn't coming because the terminal can't accomodate her, will they keep Liberty here? Give us another Freedom Class? We wait and see. But I will need something between our Odyssey cruise in November and Allure at LEAST 2 years from then. Or, I could put a down payment on the new roof we need. Priorities and all. 

Everything for our Oct Greek Isle cruise has already been purchased and paid for. If Rhapsody is still cruising at that time, we plan on being on it. Currently in a JS corner aft. Might splurge to move up to a GS or OS if the price is right. Both categories have only come down a little since Jan and the same amount of cabins are still available. We are still 6mos away, so we will wait and see what happens.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I'm now trying to upgrade one of my booked cruises. The money I'm saving on train tickets, going out, lunches, dumb purchases will hopefully go towards a balcony. yolo.

See !!  You have accidentally stumbled upon one of the hidden UPsides to this otherwise horrific situation !  I am not spending ANY money (except for the new Oasis Cruise I just booked) so lots of money for little upgrades and extras !

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

See !!  You have accidentally stumbled upon one of the hidden UPsides to this otherwise horrific situation !  I am not spending ANY money (except for the new Oasis Cruise I just booked) so lots of money for little upgrades and extras !

Same! With the incentive that RCCL gave when they changed our itinerary, I'll mostly just be paying for gratuities on a deluxe beverage package (which, if I figured it correctly will come out to $90, so $10/day!)

We will build a concrete patio and replace some outdoor steps with the incentive. We will do some of the work ourselves, and hire a mason and a carpenter for the "fancy" work. Some things are best done by professionals.

But we are using our 125% FCC to be in a JS instead of obstructed view balcony on Anthem in one year, along with extended family in a JS as well. We will enjoy dinners at Coastal Kitchen, and we can all board the ship together (not everyone is Diamond!!) Overall, it will be much more enjoyable a year from now than it would have in current circumstances. 

We had a cabana booked in Cococay for next week, for $349.00. It is $999.00 for one year from now, so I am checking frequently (too frequently) for a price drop on any beach-side cabana at Cococay. I received the full refund for all excursions and wifi last week, for this year's April 5th cancelled cruise. I don't expect to see the FCC email for at least another week, and as we already have deposits paid for next year's trip, it should all work out. ?