Travel after the peak of all this...

Regarding pre-boarding testing, there apparently is a 15 minute test. No idea what that costs but if they can get the test down to $10, just pass that along to the passenger. I’d pay $10 to get tested prior to boarding. 

Until they come up with protocols to deal with outbreaks onboard, I think many will still be concerned about coming home to a mandatory 14 day quarantine or god forbid a scenario that just happened where no country will let you port. 

6,000 people are stranded on cruise ships right now. 

The 2 Holland America ships are porting today in Fort Lauderdale at a massive cost to the line (Carnival). 

These type issues will need a concrete plan before Johnny and Suzy Public feel comfortable getting on a cruise ship. 

I’ve got 2 reservations. October 2020 to replace my cancelled May 2 Symphony and October 2021. I sure hope a plan to deal with outbreaks comes about soon. 

I do not believe this virus is only a cruising issue, many things in our lives will change, but we have to continue living.  My late husband and I were enjoying our retirement, at age 74 he began feeling very tied and lost some weight in a matter of a few weeks.  After his doctor admitted him to the hospital and many tests, we found out he had acute myeloid leukemia and had maybe three months to live.   Our lives may change because of the virus, just like more security after 9-11, but we have to continue living.  We could die in a car crash or a plane, or die of a heart attack or cancer.  We change our life styles, or have more safety features, but we continue to go on living.

The virus is not the fault of people who cruise, stopping all cruise ships or travel in the future will not make viruses go away, germs and viruses are there.  I agree that when we have a pandemic, or even a crisis like 9-11, we have to take a step backwards, wait until it passes (after acts of nature, pandemics, wars, etc.) and move on, not stop living.   Life is to short, as we see, doom and gloom is not hope, we need hope to get us through this awful time.   

This is JMO, I am sure many people will not agree.   I accept your opinions, I just want to believe that though life may be somewhat different, we will still have dreams of life after the virus.  We cannot put our lives on hold forever.

11 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

This is what I was talking about with other threads. Danny CEO of Harr travel said the last 2 weeks been the biggest booking weeks of his entire career. The gloom and doom is I think not warranted.

But does that take into account that many of those bookings are likely people who had cruises that needed to be rescheduled because of cancellations? I don’t think at this time the boom in bookings are from first time cruises who randomly decided in the midst of a pandemic to book a cruise for 2021. 

1 hour ago, PattiHere said:

I do not believe this virus is only a cruising issue, many things in our lives will change, but we have to continue living.  My late husband and I were enjoying our retirement, at age 74 he began feeling very tied and lost some weight in a matter of a few weeks.  After his doctor admitted him to the hospital and many tests, we found out he had acute myeloid leukemia and had maybe three months to live.   Our lives may change because of the virus, just like more security after 9-11, but we have to continue living.  We could die in a car crash or a plane, or die of a heart attack or cancer.  We change our life styles, or have more safety features, but we continue to go on living.

The virus is not the fault of people who cruise, stopping all cruise ships or travel in the future will not make viruses go away, germs and viruses are there.  I agree that when we have a pandemic, or even a crisis like 9-11, we have to take a step backwards, wait until it passes (after acts of nature, pandemics, wars, etc.) and move on, not stop living.   Life is to short, as we see, doom and gloom is not hope, we need hope to get us through this awful time.   

This is JMO, I am sure many people will not agree.   I accept your opinions, I just want to believe that though life may be somewhat different, we will still have dreams of life after the virus.  We cannot put our lives on hold forever.

Sorry to hear what you went through but glad you have such a positive outlook and attitude like you do.

I really believe that the "cure" is actually worse than the condition, at least here in Canada......its amazing the fear and control the government has over us.

No one is living normally or enjoying life, we are all scared and told to stay home for weeks, now into months...with no end it sight and no proof that anything we are being forced to do is having the effect the government told us it would.

13 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

But does that take into account that many of those bookings are likely people who had cruises that needed to be rescheduled because of cancellations? I don’t think at this time the boom in bookings are from first time cruises who randomly decided in the midst of a pandemic to book a cruise for 2021. 

I'll have to go back in look at the video but I think he said just in general. Either way it's not bad news. If I remember correctly it was a mix or reschedule and new bookings but I'll have to watch the video again. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'll have to go back in look at the video but I think he said just in general. Either way it's not bad news. If I remember correctly it was a mix or reschedule and new bookings but I'll have to watch the video again. 

Something I realized is that people who like going on cruises are a very strong resilient group of people. The minute they will be allowed to cruise again they will be back at it again no matter what has happened. 

The issue cruise lines may have is people who are going to be first time cruisers. Especially in the near future. Anecdotally, my first cruise was going to be May 24th. Now I likely wouldn’t go on a cruise until Mid 2021 at the earliest. Of course I can only speak for myself. And maybe others won’t follow such precautions. 

The after peak of this virus will be rough on cruise lines. Only those with a real love for cruises will be aboard. I hate to say it but more and more I feel like there will be a stigma attached to cruising. It seems like Australia pretty much blames cruising for their COVID-19 cases. All those infected Princess cruise ships that aren't/weren't allowing to dock. The massive amounts of ignorance and fear has put a black cloud on the industry. I don't think those over 70 will be able to cruise anytime this year and that sucks. I, too, now fear it will be a quarantine for a certain amount of days after cruising situation.

We may get some summer cruising and a bit of fall as well. However since there is no vaccine imminent, we might get very limited cruising in the winter months because it would technically be cold and flu season. The possibility that more than half of loyal cruisers won't be allowed to cruise and new cruisers scared, may lead to some interesting travel options. I think RCCI will be able to bounce back, CCL and the others not so much.

31 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Sorry to hear what you went through but glad you have such a positive outlook and attitude like you do.

I really believe that the "cure" is actually worse than the condition, at least here in Canada......its amazing the fear and control the government has over us.

No one is living normally or enjoying life, we are all scared and told to stay home for weeks, now into months...with no end it sight and no proof that anything we are being forced to do is having the effect the government told us it would.

You express exactly how I feel.   Thank you!   We hear about the death rates, but not about the people who have survived.  It is sad that people are dying, but like you said, this "fear/cure" is hurting so many people, those who have lost their jobs, plus the social isolation.  Life is about living until you die, and we are all going to die, we cannot stop it.  Sure we have to take precautions, when does it become the extreme and hurt more people than it helps?

The media and our elected officials feed into the fear, they are looking at doom and gloom and not hope.   I find so many people in my community are very angry towards each other, that is sad.  Even I have been yelled at for walking, which I do each morning,  people shouting "stay inside".   How am I hurting them?  

I want to believe I will cruise one day soon, and that life will return to normal sooner rather than later.   There are days I feel alone in my feelings, so it was nice to see your post.

I think some of you may have missed the pinned post by @Matt:

Hi everyone, I know we get heated debating which dessert is the best one to order, or if a balcony room is worth it, but let's keep these basic rules in mind when chatting here.

1. No profanity
  2. No personal insults
  3. No political discussion
  4. No debating religion

• Matt locked this topic