Government help for cruise industry

Something I've been thinking about with regard to America helping a cruise industry that is foreign flagged but affects American interests.

How about rebates to Americans through the cruise lines to be paid at cruise check ins?  Sure it may result in higher cruise fares, but the instant rebates would more than make up for that.  The competition would be fierce, and we, as the users, would benefit.

I wouldn't count on cruise line bailouts just yet.  A lot of what is said at a podium in a sound bite never comes to fruition.

If they are offered something it won't likely be something with a lot of oversight or something that requires a lot of back end processing.  IF they get anything it will likely be targeted at the corporate level.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'm not convinced cruise lines will get a bail out. I feel like other industries are higher up on priority, like airlines.

I concur, cruise industry is a leisure and not a necessity, therefor it shouldn't be bailed out with tax payers bearing the burden. As much as we like cruising, the bargain for what you get, there are other alternative for vacationing, which is what i expect to see in the near future for a short time.

10 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I concur, cruise industry is a leisure and not a necessity, therefor it shouldn't be bailed out with tax payers bearing the burden. As much as we like cruising, the bargain for what you get, there are other alternative for vacationing, which is what i expect to see in the near future for a short time.

While that is true, it's all the other industries that will be affected if things went south for the cruise industry is what's bothering me.  The overall Economic Impact would be devastating

The cruise lines have plenty of cash right now and are taking prudent steps to recover quickly including the retiring of the operating cash they took out loans for. They will be fine...they will market their product, and veteran cruisers will be back immediately and new cruisers will forget the bad stories soon enough.