They are waiting until the last minute to cancel cruising from April 11th onward...

I understand that they are trying to salvage as much as possible and, that they are suffering great losses...so, before everyone responds by stating the obvious, I thought I'd get that out of the way.

Now, what about us, the customers? There aren't many, if any, that would be comfortable going on a cruise in 2 or 3 weeks...and maybe not even in 2 or 3 months! 

Why play games RCCL? Just cancel the cruises through at least the next month or two and work on rebuilding! For crying out loud, you've got it covered from the sound of things.

A more accurate description would be "they are waiting until it becomes necessary to cancel additional cruises." There is danger in cancelling cruises that can go forward.

I would be at least as comfortable getting on a cruise ship TODAY as I am to go to Wal-Mart to pick up filters for the air system in my house. I was in Wal-Mart doing just that on Saturday, which should tell you about my comfort level.

I have cruises booked in April and May and would be happy to get on one or both.

If they know they cant cruise and have to cancel me, fair enough it rolls me forward to another cruise but as long as they think there is a chance i dont mind holding on.

And yes i have no real concerns about getting on a cruise ship .. I was my hands, i dont rub handrails, etc. so i dont view a cruise ship as any less safe than a whole of other places i go on a regular basis.

my issue is that the CDC at the moment considers cruise ship travel a "level 3" caution.  avoid non-essential travel & a 14 day self-quarantine upon your return.  

As such, my company requires us to self-quarantine if we travel to a level 3 area.  I'm not going to voluntarily take a 5-night cruise and then voluntarily sit on my duff for 2 weeks when I get back.  I'm already bored to tears at home ?

they will probably put the screws to the CDC soon to either roll back the level 3, or else extend the cancellations.  If Trump says "OK cruises are good to go now" and the CDC keeps cruises at a level 3, then we have a problem.  

IMO, Trump has already signaled that we might be turning a corner soon.  Nothing could be MORE true than, "the cure cannot be worse (by far) than the problem".  Combined with the new/old treatment protocols that are showing serious promise and the fact that the lethality of the virus seems to be lower than originally anticipated, I think there will be a change in strategy fairly soon. 

Hopefully once the prohibitions are lifted (could still be a fair distance off, TBH) I think all of the onerous restrictions (self quarantine, 70 year old doctors' notes, etc.) will be lifted fairly quickly as well.  Not saying that things will return to the same level of effort as BCV (before Coronavirus) but they will come back on line in phases (my guess).

Fingers crossed...

?

@Michael B. I agree with you! We are booked on a Transatlantic from Cape Liberty to Southampton, UK, departing April 12. The entire UK is buttoned down today. The entire NY area is a "hotbed." Hotels and flights closed and canceled. I am waiting for a cancellation. I am sure they want to use my money for as long as possible-but in this economy and circumstance so do I!

All kidding aside and, as much as I'd love it if none of this had transpired, I think this entire pandemic has taken the proverbial wind out of a lot of our sails...no pun intended, lol.

I just cannot imagine that cruising will be carefree and fun, like it should be, for many months to come. They need to cancel at least 30 to 60 more days to allow the overall panic and fear to die down. It certainly won't within the next two to three weeks, that is for sure.

If they cancel a whole other block of cruises that means they have given up hope. The worst thing any business can do is give up hope...that applies to people too. April 11th is almost 3 weeks away, a lot can happen in 3 weeks. The tides of war can change in days, hours and/or minutes. This virus has been like a war on the cruise industry and cancelling so many more with all this time left to "fight" will be like surrendering. Given the state of things it will be easier to cancel flights and hotels and wait on the cruise.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

It's about trying to maintain a slow bleed that they can manage from a cash flow position.  If they cancel many months at a time it's like a run on the bank and they won't have the daily reserves to handle the massive blood loss from doing it all at once.  

Be patient. 

Hmm, sounds like Royal is trying to "flatten the curve" on their cash flow! :p

We have a cruise scheduled to leave Port Canaveral on April 26 on HOS. If the cruise is a go, by some true miracle, we will definitely be on it. If not, I'll take my refund and move on. Already have Alaska planed for next year and can't get away any other time this year so a cancellation would derail our cruise options for 2020. We are fortunate enough to have steady jobs and no break in our income so getting the cruise refund now or later really makes no difference to me. I can see where it could be aggravating to others that they are not cancelling further out but totally understand it as a business decision. 

If RC really value there customers surely they will give a bit more notice this time of an extension to the suspension ! Our flights have already been cancelled and coming from the uk we can’t even enter the states . Many Caribbean islands have also closed their doors to cruises ... don’t know about you guys but I don’t fancy floating at sea for 10 days with no port calls !  

1 hour ago, Ogilthorpe said:

The president just announced that he intends to have the US open for business before Easter on April 12. While that won't change other nations policies, I will maintain optimism that April 12 remains possible! ?

Even if he wants this, the states may not lift their restrictions.  I'm far from an expert on federal vs states rights, but if Florida keeps their mandated 14 day quarantine on anyone arriving in their state, I don't see how the cruise lines could consider starting back up.

6 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

A more accurate description would be "they are waiting until it becomes necessary to cancel additional cruises." There is danger in cancelling cruises that can go forward.

I would be at least as comfortable getting on a cruise ship TODAY as I am to go to Wal-Mart to pick up filters for the air system in my house. I was in Wal-Mart doing just that on Saturday, which should tell you about my comfort level.

I would bet your comfort level might be different if you were living in New York 

2 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

The president just announced that he intends to have the US open for business before Easter on April 12. While that won't change other nations policies, I will maintain optimism that April 12 remains possible! ?

3 minutes ago, BoxerMomNC said:

Just saw this on FB on Mariner group 

7E9B777C-ED4D-40EC-9A88-725B1D3A69CD.jpeg

Well, so much for that slim hope. ? 

8 minutes ago, Floski said:

Damn.  I needed this cruise so bad.   

Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel is a fast-movin' train.

Hopefully you'll also get 125% FCC offered, so that you can get a replacement cruise ASAP!

Realized my last reply probably was probably more than a bit glib at a time when it's really not appropriate or appreciated. So my apologies for making light of what's going to be a day of disappointment for you and a lot of other people.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hopefully you'll also get 125% FCC offered, so that you can get a replacement cruise ASAP!

Realized my last reply probably was probably more than a bit glib at a time when it's really not appropriate or appreciated. So my apologies for making light of what's going to be a day of disappointment for you and a lot of other people.

Oh gosh, bud, certainly no need to apologize!   I'm super happy for you!   I'd love to cruise in the fall, but with us living on the coast, I worry about hurricanes coming here.

I'm distraught, but will get over it.  I sure hate to lose that glitch package, though.

Annnnnd, right on time, some Bob Marley come on and my cares just drift away....

53 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Dude, your itinerary is ah-maaaayyyy-zing! I don't blame you for being stoked and hopeful!

I just lost my June 4 cruise to Canada, but so far, the July sailing is still in play -- though it looks like I won't get a refund or an FCC in time to make my final payment. Ouch.

31 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I just lost my June 4 cruise to Canada, but so far, the July sailing is still in play -- though it looks like I won't get a refund or an FCC in time to make my final payment. Ouch.

Do you already have a deposit on the July 15th sailing?  If not, you can maybe reach out to a good TA and have them hold the July sailing for you for now, at least until final payment date and the possibly they can extend you until you get your FCC?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Do you already have a deposit on the July 15th sailing?  If not, you can maybe reach out to a good TA and have them hold the July sailing for you for now, at least until final payment date and the possibly they can extend you until you get your FCC?

I put in a deposit on 3/16 before Royal put forward their policy on holds on 3/21. ?