Mandatory Quarantine for Travelers to FL from NY/NJ/CT?

The Florida governor issued a mandatory quarantine for anyone traveling to Florida from NY/NJ/CT. Does anyone know how this will affect people traveling from those states for a cruise? I know everything’s up in the air, but this is very interesting  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/florida-governor-ordering-travelers-from-nj-and-ny-to-14-day-self-quarantine-to-fight-coronavirus.html%3foutputType=amp

Ummm, what cruise are you flying in for? You do know there arent any at the moment right .... i am sure by the time the cruise's start back up the travel restrictions will be lifted.

Personally i suspect this is a tit for tat based on the all the "press" out of NY bashing FL for leaving the beaches open.

We are in a quartine here in our province....but the 3 provinces that surround us have rules in place that any visitors in or out have to self quarantine for 14 days.....no matter where from or if your feeling sick or not. So essentially that is protecting us in this case I guess.

It started off with just certain provinces...but now many across Canada have implemented this.

Nothing is perfect or works 100%...I would say not many people are driving from Nj to FLa right now...but perhaps the airlines are still busy down there. And that could be a first step towards shutting down the state borders even more?

Either way...there are no cruises leaving Florida till at least May imho....so its  moot point to worry about this in March.

11 hours ago, AlexWinters said:

The Florida governor issued a mandatory quarantine for anyone traveling to Florida from NY/NJ/CT. Does anyone know how this will affect people traveling from those states for a cruise? I know everything’s up in the air, but this is very interesting  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/florida-governor-ordering-travelers-from-nj-and-ny-to-14-day-self-quarantine-to-fight-coronavirus.html%3foutputType=amp

There shouldn’t be anyone flying here to FL for a cruise unless they have been living in a cave for the last 10 days. 

"Anyone who violates the governor’s directive could face no more than 60 days in jail"

Brilliant - someone who is supposed to be quarantined to minimize potential spread will be placed in a jail in close proximity to others if they don't self quarantine.

This is a policy to make it appear like you are doing something that really has little basis in actually doing something.

18 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

10 days .... it feels like 5 months ??

I concur, just taught myself the floss dance on you tube, ( I'm ah 50+) My teenager begged me to stop, stressed and strained, mom, please just STOP!  Not sure what was more fun, the dance or the pained reaction!!

Making the lemonade again! Be safe and stay healthy everyone. 

18 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Spring Break is a go! What could go wrong with thousands of drunk college students! Only now are they shutting down many of the beaches from what I understand. Crazy!

I heard the residents tried to form a picket line to keep them out, but it failed because they obeyed social distancing. ?

Just trying to keep it a bit light-hearted!

19 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

Love the consistent message in FLA right now. WDW and all major attractions... long been closed voluntarily.

Spring Break is a go! What could go wrong with thousands of drunk college students! Only now are they shutting down many of the beaches from what I understand. Crazy!

They have been shut down for several days in my part of Florida.  Around the same time Disney closed the resorts....

28 minutes ago, gatorskin76 said:

They have been shut down for several days in my part of Florida.  Around the same time Disney closed the resorts....

Same here. East Fort Lauderdale is a ghost town and the beaches have been closed for at least 10 days at this point. Saturday when I was on my boat there was only a couple cruise ships in port (silversea and Princess) which is a strange sight on any given Saturday in Port Everglades. 

Our beaches in north Florida have been closed. 

Since the lockdown in NY, Florida has had a huge influx of people from NY and NJ who are “escaping” the lockdown. 

Yesterday we had 192 direct flights to FL from NY/NJ. 

That’s a lot of people in a time where we are told not to travel. 

We have a very large elderly population. We are trying to protect our health system for our state’s citizens. If we continue to take in “refugees” from other states and we’re predicted to be the next epicenter, Florida is not going to be able to handle it. 

College spring break started here 3 weeks ago before any of the hysteria started. 2 weeks ago the state began taking some action and this past week many beaches are now closed.

Unfortunately most spring breakers left the state so who knows where they may have taken the virus. Last I heard 4 spring breakers have tested positive. 

You can't put the horse back in the barn. Everyone should be self isolating now. Everyone should have been self isolating two weeks ago instead of packing Disney for the last fireworks show. Instead of packing beaches and drinking beer out of women's butt cracks screaming f corona. He shouldn't have to single out people from NY or NJ because everyone needs to be doing this. Florida will have five New York cities if they don't, and it won't be because a few snowbirds escaped down from the northeast.

The Florida governor needs to enact a state wide Stay at Home.  

The problem is that the numbers we see in the present are a reflection of how many people were becoming infected a week or two ago.  By the time the numbers in Florida begin to display it will be too late.  In fact it's happening right now in Florida  The virus is spreading and more and more are becoming infected right now.  Those number won't appear until the coming weeks and by that time it's too late, they can't retroactively tell people to stay home.

I've been reading news accounts of the Spanish Flu of 1918.  It's eerily similar seeing the critics objecting to restrictions or orders to close businesses.  That proved to be deadly in 1918 and it will prove to be deadly here in 2020.  Florida in particular with a large older demographic is going to become tomorrow's hot spot.  It's just a matter of time. 

The federal government may not have the legal authority to enact restrictions at the state level but if they have legal authority to lockdown the country they had better get on it.  The sooner we lockdown the faster we'll get through to a better time when we can ease restrictions.   Until then it's up to state governments to protect the American people. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Millenialcruiser said:

You can't put the horse back in the barn. Everyone should be self isolating now. Everyone should have been self isolating two weeks ago instead of packing Disney for the last fireworks show. Instead of packing beaches and drinking beer out of women's butt cracks screaming f corona. He shouldn't have to single out people from NY or NJ because everyone needs to be doing this. Florida will have five New York cities if they don't, and it won't be because a few snowbirds escaped down from the northeast.

It's now becoming a travel advisory from the CDC. It's all too little, too late. Spring Break shouldn't have happened. Mardi Gras shouldn't have happened.

The states need to learn from one another, and the federal government needs to give the states the support they need in order to take measures they need to. A federal quarantine order likely wouldn't have been legal, even if we're viewing this as "a time of war". But mostly, people need to learn.

They single out cruise-ship passengers and say "you shouldn't have packed into a space with 5,000 people!" all while heading to the beaches after they've been warned not to.

They're going to be toddlers...somebody says they can't do something, so they'll do it.

Meanwhile, my friend's uncle dies.

There's a really good chance I'm going to end up cancelling my spring/summer cruises (main in June, backup in July) that depart Cape Liberty. These governors are doing their best, but as has been said, you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

It is a horrible effect sometimes...freedom. Illinois had a stay in place order since March 15th, we were one of the first and we didn't have that many cases. We had been asked prior to that to limit group interactions. Yet people bristled at the notion they couldn't do what they wanted. My own 80 yo grandmother, who normally never leaves her home for months a time, decided because they government said she should stay inside, she wouldn't. She said she survived 2 husbands, the lost of 3 children and the civil war. She has arms, legs and her faculties.....why shouldn't she do what she wants???

That was the notion of spring breakers, our president and people who refused to adjust to this real threat. In Chicago our mayor had to send out emergency alerts because people were congregating in groups along walking paths, beaches and bike lines. This is a week after the Shelter in place order had been issued. After they saw how much cases and deaths have risen exponentially. O'hare airport had lines for days when Shelter in place went into affect. My mother has worked for a grocery store for almost 40 years, she said they have never had lines that reached the parking lot before.

It seems like bans and quarantine won't do any good if people don't have the right mentality in effect. It is going to have to get real bad for people to understand how even though you might be fine, your actions have the potential to affect 20 plus and so on.

My township's mayor has been doing daily webcasts giving us updates on the infection rate and hospitalizations for just our township. We're a population of about 55,000, so the numbers are still thankfully small. But our Shelter-in-Place order kicked into effect on March 13, and we had our first positive case on March 17. Since then, just over the course of 12 days, we've gone up to 93 confirmed cases.

We have a drive-up testing facility set up at the local college, which just went into operation a few days ago. They had administered over 140 tests as of this past Friday, and 45% of them have come back positive. We were at 56 confirmed cases on March 27, and on the 28th we jumped up to 80; much of that bump is due to the new testing center's results. Today, just a day later, we got another 13 positive cases (93 total).

My township, I have to say, is being laudatory with making all the data public on their web site. 59 of the 93 cases are in people aged 40 to 69; this is not singling out the elderly by any stretch. The good news is that out of the 93 total cases, only 3 are in the hospital; everyone else is at home, without major complications or severe symptoms.

Yet, our mayor says in every broadcast from every. single. day that the police are seeing groups of people gathering, having their children play together at playgrounds or parks, and generally ignoring the admonitions to keep away from each other. There are even people here who are still going to their places of worship and congregating together. It's insane!! No one seems to understand the ease with which this disease spreads from person to person, all while they're showing no symptoms.

Those of us who are acting like the nut job who built a doomsday shelter and won't come out except at hours when we're sure to be among few to none will hopefully come out healthy and unscathed. But all those who willingly disregard the warnings aren't just inviting disaster on themselves, but on everyone they infect in passing.

2 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My township's mayor has been doing daily webcasts giving us updates on the infection rate and hospitalizations for just our township. We're a population of about 55,000, so the numbers are still thankfully small. But our Shelter-in-Place order kicked into effect on March 13, and we had our first positive case on March 17. Since then, just over the course of 12 days, we've gone up to 93 confirmed cases.

We can only get the number of confirmed positives in our county - they refuse to break it up by city, so we really have no idea what's really going on.  It's still very difficult to get tested here.  We are constantly getting calls of people not abiding by the Stay At Home order.  What's been considered an "essential service" is suspect to me.  Stay safe, everyone - let's hope THIS community stays healthy!!

My neighbors are currently in their yard, with about a good 15 people, shooting fireworks and barbecuing. It is like 44 degrees and dark in Chicago. For almost 2 full weeks it has been quite, now there are families standing outside their homes watching these people break protocol. I am staring out my window in shock as the two cats I am fostering hide away from the loud noises. I spent 45 minutes this morning arguing with my grandmother about her going out to get a case of MGD (miller genuine draft) and a gallon of Bombay....we brought her groceries on Wed and she told us she was stocked with spirits. She just called me cursing Trump because she cannot attend Easter services thanks to the extension of shelter in place until April 30th.

Please Stop Cut It Out GIF by Originals

30 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

We have some of these idiots up here in Jersey, too.  These clowns are a few towns over from me:

https://kywnewsradio.radio.com/articles/news/police-break-up-house-party-with-dj-in-ewing-township

Sadly, I'm not sure things are really gonna change til all the people who show up for stupid gatherings like this are charged...not just the people who are organizing the get-together. These people didn't have to show up. Alas, it'd mean the jails would be more full, and the risk of an outbreak within the walls would go up considerably. ?