Moving deposits

Canceled cruise credit info... I just booked another sailing after having a recent sailing canceled .  I assumed my cruise credit could be used as my deposit .  It can not be.  You still have to pay the minimum deposit to book . Your credit is applied at a later date.  Also very disappointed to learn the credit is not automatically applied once the dust settles .  The burden in still placed on the guest to call ( hold , hold, hold , hold ect.. ect ).  and place a request to the Post Cruise Dept. to apply any credit from the canceled sailing to the future sailing. ?????  

I agree this just doesn't make any sense. I love Royal but this really doesn't make much sense. The FCC includes the deposit you already put down. The way i understand it is you put the regular deposit down and then you get it back if the FCC is more than the full cruise fare. Just let us put the FCC wherever we want and if the new cruise is more allow you to pay the balance. This system or policy really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Actually, as of March 18, 2020, Royal has a new policy in place where you do not have to put a deposit down right away and you can wait for your FCC instead:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/03/21/royal-caribbean-letting-travel-agents-place-hold-cruise-reservations-through-end-of-may

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Actually, as of March 18, 2020, Royal has a new policy in place where you do not have to put a deposit down right away and you can wait for your FCC instead:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/03/21/royal-caribbean-letting-travel-agents-place-hold-cruise-reservations-through-end-of-may

This allows TRAVEL AGENTS to place a hold for longer than the usual 3 days. It DOES NOT let me make a reservation without a deposit.

VERY different things.

FACT...  I made a reservation a few hrs ago.  Thinking I could use my FCC as deposit.   I could not.  The nice person on the phone offered to check if the deposit could be lowered to the amount of port charges and tax.  Nice person returned with the factual information that I had to pay the normal deposit required , right then , or I could not continue with the booking.  I gladly paid the normal deposit, which was deducted from my account while still on the phone with nice person.  Nice person advised me that at some point after 4/15 ( I assume 30 days after my original cruise departure date ) I could contact post cruise to have FCC credited to the new booking and any over payment would be refunded sometime thereafter.  These are actual , factual events which occurred on 3/23/20.  I hope that anybody who chooses to not use a good TA finds this information helpful. 

1 hour ago, notacomplainer1 said:

FACT...  I made a reservation a few hrs ago.  Thinking I could use my FCC as deposit.   I could not.  The nice person on the phone offered to check if the deposit could be lowered to the amount of port charges and tax.  Nice person returned with the factual information that I had to pay the normal deposit required , right then , or I could not continue with the booking.  I gladly paid the normal deposit, which was deducted from my account while still on the phone with nice person.  Nice person advised me that at some point after 4/15 ( I assume 30 days after my original cruise departure date ) I could contact post cruise to have FCC credited to the new booking and any over payment would be refunded sometime thereafter.  These are actual , factual events which occurred on 3/23/20.  I hope that anybody who chooses to not use a good TA finds this information helpful. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to use a good TA.. The people at Royal's call center are notoriously terrible and don't know policies and procedures very well. I get that this happened to you but its because you didn't use a good TA. The new policy makes it so you don't have to put down a deposit. Fact a good TA costs you nothing. So why wouldn't you want to use one I don't get it? Also just so you know this is a fan website of Royal Caribbean.. Most people on this site use TA's because we follow the suggestions of Mr.Matt Hochberg the person who writes this blog and he always recommends using a good TA. 

5 hours ago, notacomplainer1 said:

Not complaining ..... Just thought Id pass along the info to others before they spend the time and energy scheduling another sailing .  Hoping not to dig deeper in their pocket to do so.  ( like I did )

Thanks for the heads up.As one of our posters points out its been discussed a lot on here. I recently got "surprised" like you and wrote on it as well. Can't hurt, especially now, to keep it  a fresh and accessible thread to help others avoid confusion... 

• Matt changed the title to Moving deposits
On 3/23/2020 at 8:22 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

This allows TRAVEL AGENTS to place a hold for longer than the usual 3 days. It DOES NOT let me make a reservation without a deposit.

That is the same thing.  A hold is a reservation that preserves the rate and the room assignment.  The difference between a hold and a deposit is a hold expires, whereas a deposit retains it until final payment date.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That is the same thing.  A hold is a reservation that preserves the rate and the room assignment.  The difference between a hold and a deposit is a hold expires, whereas a deposit retains it until final payment date.

But as an individual, I cannot place a hold (WITHOUT making a payment) preserving rate and room. I am required to pay a deposit RIGHT NOW (with a short window to cancel with no penalty). Preferential treatment given to Travel Agents that get paid by Royal for the work they do seems counterproductive since my booking directly doesn't incur any such cost to the company.

1 minute ago, HeWhoWaits said:

But as an individual, I cannot place a hold (WITHOUT making a payment) preserving rate and room. I am required to pay a deposit RIGHT NOW (with a short window to cancel with no penalty). Preferential treatment given to Travel Agents that get paid by Royal for the work they do seems counterproductive since my booking directly doesn't incur any such cost to the company.

Correct, you cannot do it on your own. Use a TA and make your life easier, plus take advantage of this benefit. Seems win-win to me.

4 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Actually you can.  If you call RC direct, their agents can also hold until May 31st for you.  I've heard of a few who did that and it worked.  But I prefer to work with a TA.  

On 3/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Matt. @michelle. @WAAAYTOOO. Anybody!

Help me understand. 

Our May 2 SOS cruise cancelled . With this new TA hold process and no deposit required, what if we want to book an end if May beginning of June cruise? We're within the 90 day final payment period. Will RC wait until we get our FCC to pay for the new cruise? Or do we have to pay in full and then ask for refund of our cancelled one? 

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

Correct, you cannot do it on your own. Use a TA and make your life easier, plus take advantage of this benefit. Seems win-win to me.

Any recommendations on TA's? Don't know if I want to handle all the FCC stuff on my own...  

Thanks in advance!

And thanks to everyone in the forums for all the instant, up-to-date, and VERY helpful information. Cruising for the first time has been made so much easier...well kinda... 

I feel like after this whole virus thing is over I'll be an expert on all things RC :10_wink:

18 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

@Matt. @michelle. @WAAAYTOOO. Anybody!

Help me understand. 

Our May 2 SOS cruise cancelled . With this new TA hold process and no deposit required, what if we want to book an end if May beginning of June cruise? We're within the 90 day final payment period. Will RC wait until we get our FCC to pay for the new cruise? Or do we have to pay in full and then ask for refund of our cancelled one? 

I just found out this morning, that your FCC can be expedited in that case. A TA needs to call on your behalf.