Chris Wong Is Going Home

rjac

In today's VLOG, day 5, Chris wraps it up saying he as well as many other staff members are being sent home in six days. He doesn't understand why nor when he will return. He would much rather stay put on the Oasis where everything is safe and healthy. If he can fly back to the UK, his home, how will he get back to the ship? Hopefully he'll have more info tomorrow. :27_sunglasses:

1 hour ago, rjac said:

In today's VLOG, day 5, Chris wraps it up saying he as well as many other staff members are being sent home in six days. He doesn't understand why nor when he will return. He would much rather stay put on the Oasis where everything is safe and healthy. If he can fly back to the UK, his home, how will he get back to the ship? Hopefully he'll have more info tomorrow. :27_sunglasses:

I have not watched todays video but you just broke my heart!  I have rather enjoyed watching his updates, but understand RCCL's decision.  It is going to be interesting seeing how things are going to continue and how fast things are going to get back up and running once this has calmed down and they start running again.  

Could be a sign of an extended pause or simply they are worried if an extended travel ban continues airlines may stop flying international routes and then a lot of crew will be stuck here.

Typical crew visas don't allow taking up residence in any country so Royal could find themselves having to keep crew on ships for an extended period yet there are regulations with respect maximum time any crew can stay on a ship at sea.  They could find themselves stuck between a rock and hard place so maybe better to send them home.    

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The State Dept just issued a Level IV travel ban. Americans are not allowed to travel internationally - anywhere.

This is a relief for us at work, we still had a few planning to go on their vacations.  We are trying to really limit our exposure since we all are still reporting to work.  We can't really do a lot of "social distancing" there, so we're pretty vulnerable.

13 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The State Dept just issued a Level IV travel ban. Americans are not allowed to travel internationally - anywhere.

Is there a Level V, that bans domestic travel across state lines except for federal agencies / vehicles? Even if not official, guessing we'll be at that level soon.

I have followed Chris and yes, he has been told he will be off the ship this coming Tuesday 3-24. I also know, the casts (performers) of the major shows on Oasis (Aqua80s, etc) have been told they will be disembarked on Tuesday of next week. I don't believe they have been told what Port/airport will be used for those departing Oasis. But, I do know there was much surprise when these people were told they would be leaving...............they were not part of the crew that chose to depart Oasis on Sunday when Oasis was in Miami. I am guessing these crew and all the cast members did not choose to depart Oasis. I do know heavy cleaning has been done by all the crew/cast................the Ice Show did 2 shows a few nights ago for the crew on board. Meetings/Information is changing so fast that perhaps, 1 thing they are told yesterday can certainly change tomorrow. 

Now, today, supposedly, the CEO of Carnival offered-up some ships of theirs to be used by the Government if needed for the response to the Coronovirus. I wonder, with the seemingly surprise decision to take much of the crew/all the Cast off Oasis if RCCL will be offering up any ships to the Government to be used if needed? 

57 minutes ago, Phillip Diamond Plus said:

WHAT I SEE IS A LEVEL IV ON CNN?? NOT SURE IF THIS IS AN ADVISORY OR A BAN???

I went on a search engine and It looks like airlines have cancelled flights to England until April 11th.

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

I don't think it's federal law, as in you could be arrested for breaking the law, I think it's an advisory.  

11 minutes ago, Chadster said:

This is the big concern right now, per the advisory:

" If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe."

We have friends on the Celeberty Eclipse. They've been stranded off the coast of Chile for days. They left Feb 28th and truly have no idea when they'll get home.

Theres level IV in reality and then theres level IV according to the media.    Its more like Level XXXIV double secret maximus deluxe.    But yes, in all honesty, for the crew members going home I sure feel for them.   Hope they stay safe and healthy and I wish them the best of luck.  I just recently discovered Chris' videos/VLOGs and really enjoy them.  He does a great job of giving us insight into their lives.   

Level 4 advisory (not ban) means the US advises Americans to return home and not travel internationally because the US govt may be unable to assist in bringing you back. It has nothing to do with the spread of coronavirus (that was covered under level 3), and yes, you are still legally allowed to travel internationally.