To me this means cruises will not start when the 30 days is up

This video here of Chris the Oasis crew member is an indication to me RCI doesn't think cruises will start when the 30 days is up. Number 1, why send a very healthy crew home and into a messy world? How are these people going to even get home because flights to countries all over the world is going to be difficult? How are they going to get crew replacements to the ship when they need them for the same reason? This move to me tells me cruises are starting for quite a while. June/July but to me July is more realistic. What do you think and am I overreacting? Sometimes I need someone elses take to read between the lines. I'm not the best at that. Here is the video.

I hadn't seen this, so thanks for sharing!

My first thought is for the crew members.  I don't see how they get home. Being stuck on board a luxury cruise ship seems infinitely preferable to being stuck in a strange country!

As far as your reading on the schedule, I agree it will complicate things.  On the other hand, they would probably need to change the crews before restarting anyway.  The crews on the ships have been on there for quite a while!

That said, I've always felt the 28 day hiatus was optimistic.  60 feels more probable to me.

Have been watching his daily videos.  Really informative and good to hear what's happening on their side.  Seems at least like Royal is treating them well in between cleaning tasks.

Not surprised with today's news.  With what's going on in the world, it's inevitable that it will be longer than 30 day shutdown. Here in Ontario, schools are shutdown for 3 weeks (but I predict longer), restaurants are closed, non-essential stores are closed.  The whole situation is pretty bad.

As others stated, I hope the crew manages to get home ok. 

Even when they are ready to start up again, it'll be a challenge to bring people back, and maintaining ongoing travels that are virus-free.   Pretty scary times.

P.S. - We met Chris when he worked the shops on Independence.  He's a really great down to earth guy.  

80% of international flights have been cancelled.. those non American staff are not coming back anytime in the next 30 days. With so many ports closed, there is no way cruises are boarding passengers in early April.  My thought is that they know nothing is moving before June since we are at least 2-3 weeks away from it getting really bad in the US. The original projections had cases doubling every 6-10 days. I think it is currently 3-4 days. That doubling of cases will hit massive numbers in mid to late April.

I think RCL stock will be in single digits come April and the first cruise will not be until at least June, maybe July.. and I think we will see only a small number of cruises starting, not all of them at once.

I was posting my observation to . I guess people don't like reality , calling it negative thinking. But I am in touch with my friends form Europe and it is not naive. What is worrying me is people why are not taking all what is happening seriously. I live in Florida and people are everywhere . Whit that kind of behavior I am afraid is going to be lot of people sick and worst . I have cruise book for May 24-th. With Harmony of the Seas and they way how is now I am afraid it will not be possible to have any type of cruising for some time. Next cruise I have in October and January. I am not planing to cancel my May cruise yet. I will wait last moment  hoping some miracle will happened.  Cursing is  Only what make me really, really happy!  

5 minutes ago, Cile said:

I was posting my observation to . I guess people don't like reality , calling it negative thinking. But I am in touch with my friends form Europe and it is not naive. What is worrying me is people why are not taking all what is happening seriously. I live in Florida and people are everywhere . Whit that kind of behavior I am afraid is going to be lot of people sick and worst . I have cruise book for May 24-th. With Harmony of the Seas and they way how is now I am afraid it will not be possible to have any type of cruising for some time. Next cruise I have in October and January. I am not planing to cancel my May cruise yet. I will wait last moment  hoping some miracle will happened.  Cursing is  Only what make me really, really happy!  

I saw all the beaches are full down there in Florida. Young people think they are invincible. I mean we have all been there.

It's true, we are on the west coast here in Florida and there are still resorts open for business. The beaches are packed and you would not believe the stores, drove the vehicles to keep batteries charged and the local stores are as busy as Holiday shopping time. And while the younger set is on the beach, it is the older generation that are in the stores. It's very frustrating because while we (our family) shelter in place (trying not to binge eat really nasty delicious food) we look about and shake our heads, what are they thinking? We can hear live bands at a local "resort" Just unbelievable! The bands are playing and the resorts are open because people are showing up! Stay safe & healthy everyone.

Inside Out Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, Neesa said:

It's true, we are on the west coast here in Florida and there are still resorts open for business. The beaches are packed and you would not believe the stores, drove the vehicles to keep batteries charged and the local stores are as busy as Holiday shopping time. And while the younger set is on the beach, it is the older generation that is in the stores. It's very frustrating because while we (our family) shelter in place (trying not to binge eat really nasty delicious food) we look about and shake our heads, what are they thinking? We can hear live bands at a local "resort" Just unbelievable! The bands are playing and the resorts are open because people are showing up! Stay safe & healthy everyone.

Inside Out Reaction GIF

At least the unemployment rate won't be as bad as the rest of the country. I guess that is the only silver lining on that. 

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

It's true, we are on the west coast here in Florida and there are still resorts open for business. The beaches are packed and you would not believe the stores, drove the vehicles to keep batteries charged and the local stores are as busy as Holiday shopping time. And while the younger set is on the beach, it is the older generation that are in the stores. It's very frustrating because while we (our family) shelter in place (trying not to binge eat really nasty delicious food) we look about and shake our heads, what are they thinking? We can hear live bands at a local "resort" Just unbelievable! The bands are playing and the resorts are open because people are showing up! Stay safe & healthy everyone.

Inside Out Reaction GIF

Here in  the Midwest people are taking head of the warnings, very few people in stores and every one cognoscente of their distances. it is only the younger children in their 20's that are still running around and socializing, at least those with out family responsibilities. My 28 year old son with no family still runs around at night, his twin sister with a daughter has hunkered down with schools closed, she actually told him not to come over and as twins they are close, face-time it is

I wish young people and older will stop acting like spoiled kids . It is time for everybody to step up and do what is best for everybody. If they can do it in NY and now California, they can do same in Florida where they act like nothing is going on. Ignorance and selfishness can take this country in such a misery and despair when close friends and family suffer in sickness . I wish they snap up fest!!

We should be on lock down in Chicago but...people do want they want. My mother works for a grocery store called Jewel and she says people are crazy. They crowd on each other, buy up all the resources and seem to be just hanging out. All the malls are closed, there is no dining in most restaurants and downtown is a desert. Yet all I hear is traffic outside my window because I live on a busy street....worse all I see are older people just out. My grandmother normally never leaves, has spent 3 or more weeks at a time inside. Now she is itching to go places, said the government cannot tell her what to do...beside black people are immune. I had to remind her that the first death in Illinois was a 61 y/o black woman. We need to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of others.

I have no idea if people are staying in or going out here in Minnesota because I only get out to drive to work and back. Honestly, this hasn't changed a lot from my normal habits.  I do know that non-medical 911 calls are down in numbers, but after a week of being stuck at home I expect the domestic calls to soar.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I do know that non-medical 911 calls are down in numbers, but after a week of being stuck at home I expect the domestic calls to soar.

I can understand that. I work from home often and have set myself up in the living room. My wife is now home for 14 days and yesterday she sat next to me and started watching Chicago Fire or some crap like that and I about lost it ? 

I am fortunate that my company (a national retailer) closed all of their 600+ stores for the next 2 weeks.  I am not sick, but I have chosen to quasi self quarantine.  IOWS, I will still go to the store when I run out  of milk, but otherwise I am staying at home.  We live in No VA.   I actually laughed/shook my head when I did my 1st milk run.  There is a nail salon next to the grocery store and a hair salon on the other side of the store.  I am watching women walk in and out.  Seriously, what don't you understand about social distancing?  On top of that any woman with nails knows that long nails can be a petri dish to carry those germs....YEP bc I work for a retailer the minute this virus became an issue in the US I cut down my nails to protect myself and my customers.

I am also semi-ticked at a few of my friends that own small businesses.  1 is in NJ and 1 is in Florida.  1 owns a yoga business and she is saying if you are tired of being locked in your home, come on down.  The other owns a craft attached to a café (every women knows what I mean...you and your friends paint something while your drink wine or coffee)  She posts everyday about how they are still open, and holding classes, serving coffee etc.  I get they are small businesses and need to pay rent, but what I don't get is that they are going to stretch how long this thing will last if they just shut their doors like my retailer did.

As of yesterday, my boss called me to say, he was not sure how long we will be closed.  Our company will re-evaluate on Mar 28th.  Rumor is if we have to remain close after the 28th, than I will go unpaid.  Those people, such as the person getting their nails done, or my friends with small businesses, may indeed impact my own pay because of remaining open.  

They actually are also impacting the travel industry.  I feel for the crew.  Think about it.  Many of the staff are supporting families back home.  No grats., and they are losing a huge pay check.  Several of my friends are airline pilots.  They are now worried about being furloughed just like after 9/11.  Small businesses are risky,  and contribute a huge amount of money to our economy, and they use this as a defense of why they are staying open, but they also are not realizing how they are impacting the economy negatively in the long run by staying open.

Done venting. 

On 3/19/2020 at 8:41 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

This video here of Chris the Oasis crew member is an indication to me RCI doesn't think cruises will start when the 30 days is up. Number 1, why send a very healthy crew home and into a messy world? How are these people going to even get home because flights to countries all over the world is going to be difficult? How are they going to get crew replacements to the ship when they need them for the same reason? This move to me tells me cruises are starting for quite a while. June/July but to me July is more realistic. What do you think and am I overreacting? Sometimes I need someone elses take to read between the lines. I'm not the best at that. Here is the video.

While I agree, I'm not positive that things will start back up in the 30 days, though I hope they do. He is heading home actually because his contract is up. He does mention that more in a later video. He did not indicate that he is planning on signing a new contract or anything. I wonder for the other crew if that is the case and that they are all on expiring contracts. He also goes on to say that RC is making and arranging all the flights, and are paid by RC.

18 minutes ago, Morganno said:

America your pain hasn't started yet.

that's all I'm saying.

I hope you all stay safe and we see each other on the other side. This will pass anti viral drugs and a vaccine will come but this is our WWII but many more will die than in that war. ?

Are you serious or is this hyperbole? My sarcasm meter is on quarantine, but you realize up to 60 million people died in WWII? Comparing this to the deadliest war ever which spanned over a 6 year period is downright insane. Have you been checked for the virus? 

44 minutes ago, Morganno said:

America your pain hasn't started yet.

that's all I'm saying.

I hope you all stay safe and we see each other on the other side. This will pass anti viral drugs and a vaccine will come but this is our WWII but many more will die than in that war. ?

I think this is kind of harsh!!! I am always very realistic but that kind of comment is way to much I think. And don't forget Morganno we live in country that has best healthcare system in the world !! If we can contained this virus then rest of the world will be in big trouble.   Don't forget that all people with lot of money come in this country if they have major health problems. So I am positive even if will have lot of people getting sick , nowhere in the world will be better place to be sick then here!!! Our hospitals are like best hotels in Europe !! 

1 hour ago, kcchief said:

Are you serious or is this hyperbole? My sarcasm meter is on quarantine, but you realize up to 60 million people died in WWII? Comparing this to the deadliest war ever which spanned over a 6 year period is downright insane. Have you been checked for the virus? 

Ya know I never looked this up but Google home just said 75 million died in WWII! Holy crapola!

On 3/20/2020 at 3:06 PM, Cile said:

So I am positive even if will have lot of people getting sick , nowhere in the world will be better place to be sick then here!!! Our hospitals are like best hotels in Europe !! 

It doesn't matter how good the healthcare system is if it's overwhelmed by numbers and they run out of supplies and equipment.  That's why this is so dangerous. The worldwide death toll doubles approximately every 4 days. While I don't think it will reach the level of WWII deaths, it's not going to be insignificant either.  

NO shot of cruising restarting till after summer season, then only a few ships..australia just closed their ports for 6 months, many others around the world wont re open till after summer. just got off allure in barcelona one day before shutdown.got lucky to get home. next cruise scheduled may 2nd brilliance to amsterdam, then back to back to baltic. i know it wont happen, but if u have any scheduled, do not cancel! let royal cancel them, as they will, and take the 125% FCC they are now giving. or 100% if u want full refund

On 3/22/2020 at 1:49 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

It doesn't matter how good the healthcare system is if it's overwhelmed by numbers and they run out of supplies and equipment.  That's why this is so dangerous. The worldwide death toll doubles approximately every 4 days. While I don't think it will reach the level of WWII deaths, it's not going to be insignificant either.  

If I remember correctly I do believe that @SpeedNoodles you work in healthcare so I know you understand (if I am wrong I apologize!!).   The reason that Italy has so many deaths is due to their healthcare system being completely overwhelmed, and they do not have enough equipment so they are having to make HARD decisions on who they can save.  If this virus hits us the same way that it hit Italy then the same decisions are going to have to be made here.  That is something that I hope and pray does not happen,  several other boards that I am a member of speak of the horrors that the EMS systems and hospitals are having to deal with there and it is almost unfathomable.  I know that these poor folks are going to have to go through some serious therapy after this is all over.  ?

4 hours ago, bhageerah said:

If I remember correctly I do believe that @SpeedNoodles you work in healthcare so I know you understand (if I am wrong I apologize!!).   

No apologies necessary.  Much kudos to those who are in the healthcare field, as they are so vulnerable to exposure.  I'm reasonably safe in my 911 center (if we could just talk the young dispatchers into taking it seriously).

On 3/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, Cile said:

I think this is kind of harsh!!! I am always very realistic but that kind of comment is way to much I think. And don't forget Morganno we live in country that has best healthcare system in the world !! If we can contained this virus then rest of the world will be in big trouble.   Don't forget that all people with lot of money come in this country if they have major health problems. So I am positive even if will have lot of people getting sick , nowhere in the world will be better place to be sick then here!!! Our hospitals are like best hotels in Europe !! 

It's not harsh. Also, are you sure you're in the US? We do NOT have the best healthcare system. We may have the best doctors and nurses, I wouldn't know how to qualify that though, but the system itself isn't the best. Many people don't have full access and you said it yourself, people WITH $$ come here. I have family who are in the local hospitals. We're not ready for this. If you watch any news, we don't have  the equipment needed at the moment. A good attitude is super helpful but you've got to pay attention to what's actually happening.

7 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

No apologies necessary.  Much kudos to those who are in the healthcare field, as they are so vulnerable to exposure.  I'm reasonably safe in my 911 center (if we could just talk the young dispatchers into taking it seriously).

Thank you for what you do! You are the voice on the radio that keeps us safe!!  And as far as I am concerned you may not be on the front lines but you are VERY involved!! ?

Chris is leaving the ship in 2 days. His flight apparently is out of Miami to Heathrow and then from their to Manchester and then he will find his way to Liverpool. Him and his buddy are definitely not happy. 

I am becoming slightly more optimistic about cruising sooner than most think. It will be slow at first, Caribbean only and private islands but at least revenue coming into the lines. I mean I'm not sure my Oasis May 10th cruise will go off but June I think definitely. 

10 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Chris is leaving the ship in 2 days. His flight apparently is out of Miami to Heathrow and then from their to Manchester and then he will find his way to Liverpool. Him and his buddy are definitely not happy. 

I am becoming slightly more optimistic about cruising sooner than most think. It will be slow at first, Caribbean only and private islands but at least revenue coming into the lines. I mean I'm not sure my Oasis May 10th cruise will go off but June I think definitely. 

I would love to know how many were leaving, all he says is a lot.  Knowing how many were leaving would really give an idea of the future plans.

13 minutes ago, DanielB said:

I would love to know how many were leaving, all he says is a lot.  Knowing how many were leaving would really give an idea of the future plans.

I agree and he said he didn't know if he could say how many are leaving. I mean if its 90% that is much different than 25% or 10%. It would tell us a lot. They are gonna have fly a lot of people in just to staff these ships when they sail and I would think they will need to be tested before they board the ship. There is a lot of logistics involved here that take time to work out. 

On 3/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, Scrumps said:

I think RCL stock will be in single digits come April and the first cruise will not be until at least June, maybe July.. and I think we will see only a small number of cruises starting, not all of them at once.

Unfortunately, I think all this may come to pass.

15 hours ago, ellcee said:

It's not harsh. Also, are you sure you're in the US? We do NOT have the best healthcare system. We may have the best doctors and nurses, I wouldn't know how to qualify that though, but the system itself isn't the best. Many people don't have full access and you said it yourself, people WITH $$ come here. I have family who are in the local hospitals. We're not ready for this. If you watch any news, we don't have  the equipment needed at the moment. A good attitude is super helpful but you've got to pay attention to what's actually happening.

I am watching what is going on for sure. Reason I say it is best bc I did live in Europe so I can compare. And here I work in Insurance industry . Good dr. and very good hospitals . But nobody had any idea about this type of virus. 

Someone said in a recent post here, that Australia has closed its Ports for 6 months. Have not heard that, but not surprised, after the Ruby Princess and Ovation fiasco at Sydney. Looks like my trip to Singapore with Voyager on 19th April is on serious doubt, but no word from Royal yet !

Royal at Illawarra.png

Edited by Dodger
Ship Position at OZ

On 3/20/2020 at 9:06 PM, Cile said:

Hi Cile,

No way was that meant to be  harsh, at the time this board was full of comments of people sure they would be sailing soon.  I hoped we would get through it but what I feared coming to pass in the US has finally arrived. 

Like I said also below on my post I hope everyone makes it through to the other side of this and we get to cruising again when it passes and it will pass. 

Guessing when that will be is stumping even the most talented epidemiologists. 

1 hour ago, Morganno said:

Hi Cile,

No way was that meant to be  harsh, at the time this board was full of comments of people sure they would be sailing soon.  I hoped we would get through it but what I feared coming to pass in the US has finally arrived. 

Like I said also below on my post I hope everyone makes it through to the other side of this and we get to cruising again when it passes and it will pass. 

Guessing when that will be is stumping even the most talented epidemiologists. 

Sorry. I guess I was just in bed mood . I love cruising so much and nothing make me more happy then cruising. Most of my friends don't understand me and they questioning me all the time why do I go so many times on cruise. I love big ships and everything that cruise offer. What is happening now in America and around the world is like bad dream. I probably will cancel some of my cruises first one in May . And that make me really sad.