Refunds

TonyK

Danger:  Wild speculation coming.

My May 16 Majesty Cruise is still in my list of upcoming cruises.  Of course, it has been cancelled and I would be unable to make any purchases if I were to try...but my speculation is that as long as that cruise is still in my list of upcoming cruises, it has not officially been cancelled “in their system”.  This term, I believe, is the key.  It is my thesis that until that cruise disappears, my refund will not be initiated.  ...and as we all know, the cruises have been remaining in our “list” until after the cruise has completed.  In the past, the cruise would disappear from the “upcoming” list the evening before embarkation, but for the past several months, the cruise has remained on the website even after the cruise itself was under way.

So...I do not expect my refund countdown clock to start until May 23, making my refund process around the last week in June.

I guess there will be no way to know until I see the $$.

52 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Dad2Cue @Newtorc Under normal circumstances when you dispute a charge, your credit card will reimburse you the said amount while they send a grievance to the disputed party. It could take anywhere from 30-60 days for them to resolve the case when you dispute a charge. It goes to a department dedicated by your credit card company or bank, who sole purpose is to gather the facts and force a resolution. So you will see a credit, with minutes or days, but if things are not sufficient then the credit will go through reversal. Most people who try to fraud/dispute a cruise will go through reversal as their cruise contract negates such a thing. However given these unprecedented times, they can force companies into refunds. I doubt RCCI has a fraud department and given that they are trying to process millions of customers, this stops/affects the process all the other people patiently waiting. Plus it cost them extra money...and not just in wages. Also keep in mind if you dispute a charge with your credit card or bank you run the risk of being barred.  A cruise company can ban you from ever cruising again. Which I guess won't matter to those of you who are impatient to get your money back.

I’ve been patient.  It’s been 40+ days since I requested and was told to wait another 45 days. It’s principle foe at this point.  Southwest, American Airlines, and many hotel chains I had reservations with have all been very transparent and treated me well. They will get my business and money again.  Disney Cruise Line is also only taking 2 weeks to refund. RC has handled this very poorly. They are either manipulating things or their CSRs are ill informed. RC can ban me, I have no desire to give them any money ever again. To each their own.  

22 minutes ago, Newtorc said:

I’ve been patient.  It’s been 40+ days since I requested and was told to wait another 45 days. It’s principle foe at this point.  Southwest, American Airlines, and many hotel chains I had reservations with have all been very transparent and treated me well. They will get my business and money again.  Disney Cruise Line is also only taking 2 weeks to refund. RC has handled this very poorly. They are either manipulating things or their CSRs are ill informed. RC can ban me, I have no desire to give them any money ever again. To each their own.  

It is to bad. But I completely understand. I have no idea why they wait so long. I am waiting for my excursions money back and they say it will take 30-40 days? 

@Newtorc I am sorry it is taking forever. However comparing airlines and hotels that deal with refunds on the daily to a cruise line is not the same. Flights and hotels can be cancelled by the proprietor on a daily basis. How many times does an actual cruise get cancelled? I was told up to 90 days by CCL and I think RCCI could have done a better job in the beginning with communication. If I was told 30 days or less and now at 40+ days, I would be weary and wondering where my funds are too....

I did receive a cancellation this morning for excursions and the cruise for May 10th on Freedom of the Seas is no longer showing in my list of cruises. I did opt for a refund on March 25th. I have not contacted them at any time other than to request the refund via the form. This is the response I received this morning:

Dear Charmain,

A change has been made to your reservation or guest status. Due to this new "cancelled" status in your reservation, we have cancelled all reservations made using our Cruise Planner pertaining to each guest listed below.

All monies will be credited or reimbursed based on your original form of payment. Please print this page for your records.

We thank you for your understanding.

Royal Caribbean International

I hope everyone does receive their refund in a timely manner. 

So....I just heard from RC that my refund and FCC has been processed; however, I can expect it to take 3-6 weeks to receive the refund and FCC. So, something is coming, but who knows when I will get it. Cancellation was 3/20, with refund and FCC on 4/20. Now just waiting on the FCC email and refund to process to my card.

The waiting continues.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, Carl Vitanza said:

RE: Liberty of Sea Cruise March 15, 2020

RCC cancelled my cruise on March 13. I was proactive watching cruises being cancelled all around the world at that time and cancelled my cruise on March 12 - one day before RCC cancelled the cruise themselves. I was given 100% FCC on March 12. RCC offered me 125% FCC or 100% cash refund on March 13 email. I went online and took the 100% cash refund. RCC has stiffed me on that offer. RCC admitted to me over the phone 2 days ago that they ignored my online request for 100% cash refund. RCC customer service person also admitted that they never told passengers that RCC would ignore March 13 offers for passengers who cancelled one day prior. Totally wrong ! Bottom line is that I was penalized for paying attention and cancelling one day before RCC cancelled the cruise themselves. I'm done with RCC. Many folks in same situation and I'm signing up for class action suit being formulated now.  

Can you tell me how to join the class action suit?  We are in the same boat. Hahaha. I heard the news on March 13, so I called and cancelled our March 22 cruise.  I am also high risk.  We have been getting the run around ever since. They only want to give us an FCC good until Oct.31 2020. And it is not 100%.  It is short over $200.  And no choice for refund!  Every time we call when we corner the agent they hang up on us!.  I am trying to find out how to talk to someone higher up, but they won't let. you.  So if you hear of a class action were in !

I did something tonight I swore I wouldn't do: I opened disputes with my bank over a charge.

I did an upgrade on my now-canceled 6/4 cruise on Adventure, from a balcony to an aft-facing junior suite. Royal charged me more than they quoted my TA, resulting in an overcharge of $180.

I ultimately decided to take that route because I was looking back over my emails, and my travel agent reported that per the cruise line, a refund had been returned to my card more than 30 days ago. I spelled it all out in my dispute form. Wouldn't you know, the second dispute I originally filed, the refund from Celebrity for a deposit on a booking I cancelled showed up at the end of daily accounting; called my bank this morning so they could close that one. So yay for that! ?

All the other refunds of taxes, the other price-adjustment refund, and the coming FCC, I can wait for -- but this one just felt like I got shafted, even though I know that wasn't RCCL's intent. If the refund shows up before the resolution on the dispute is completed, I'll cancel it.

I understand all of this takes time, but in the case of the dispute where I had been told concretely that the overcharge had been refunded to my card, I decided I'm going to speak up.

On 4/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Fulshear540 said:

I posted this on a different thread, but thought I'd cover all my bases.

Cancelled my cruise on 3/19...received the same changing promises/stories everyone else has regarding the timeline.  Today was day 32 w/o a refund for cruise fair and cruise planner purchases (with the exception of a small amount for part of a meal package).

Decided to call again today.  Was told the full refund was issued yesterday but give it another 2-4 days to show up in my account.  Holding my breath...will let everyone know if it shows up.

UPDATE - full refund finally showed up in my account today.  

10 hours ago, Chadster said:

I did something tonight I swore I wouldn't do: I opened disputes with my bank over a charge.

I did an upgrade on my now-canceled 6/4 cruise on Adventure, from a balcony to an aft-facing junior suite. Royal charged me more than they quoted my TA, resulting in an overcharge of $180.

I ultimately decided to take that route because I was looking back over my emails, and my travel agent reported that per the cruise line, a refund had been returned to my card more than 30 days ago. I spelled it all out in my dispute form. Wouldn't you know, the second dispute I originally filed, the refund from Celebrity for a deposit on a booking I cancelled showed up at the end of daily accounting; called my bank this morning so they could close that one. So yay for that! ?

All the other refunds of taxes, the other price-adjustment refund, and the coming FCC, I can wait for -- but this one just felt like I got shafted, even though I know that wasn't RCCL's intent. If the refund shows up before the resolution on the dispute is completed, I'll cancel it.

I understand all of this takes time, but in the case of the dispute where I had been told concretely that the overcharge had been refunded to my card, I decided I'm going to speak up.

I was a day away from doing the same. Told myself on Wednesday that I would call my credit card company on Friday if I didn’t have my refunds. Sure enough they showed up on Friday. 

Are you past 30 business day’s or 30 days in general? Just curious really. 

1 minute ago, KyleW2 said:

I was a day away from doing the same. Told myself on Wednesday that I would call my credit card company on Friday if I didn’t have my refunds. Sure enough they showed up on Friday. 

Are you past 30 business day’s or 30 days in general? Just curious really. 

I couldn't find the email exchange with my TA where I cancelled my Celebrity cruise for next year, but I'm pretty sure it was the 30 business-day mark.

On the issue of the overcharge that hasn't been refunded despite RCCL telling my TA that the refund was processed, that was back on 3/10, so that's right at 30 business-day mark (if I counted correctly), so hopefully that refund will pop up next week.

I cancelled  my April  5th cruise  on March  11th 2 days before  RC cancelled,  they refunded  my cruise planner money  promptly.  Today I got my money for the taxes  and fees. I really  don't  think they  are going  to refund  me any money for  the cruise,  waiting for my cruise  with  confidence  or FCC. I'll wait  and see, I haven't  called  yet,

Glad to hear some refunds are starting to trickle in. That give me some hope... as I was starting to really worry and thinking about the CC chargeback route. But will give it at least 45 days. We were a part of the 2nd wave of cancellations.... The email from RCI said to give 30-days for the refunds and that FCC would be issued by 4/30.  

Here's my status this far and will update as they change:

Ovation May 22nd Alaska cruise.

Cancelled by RCI on or around 3/23 or 3/24.

Contacted TA to discuss options. 

official cancellation email received from TA on 3/30. (Starting my clock)

I think the cruise was finally removed from my account on or around 4/18 (ish). 

Cabin 1 (Inside); 100% cash refund option... target date would be 4/30 (30 days+/-)

Cabin 2 (Balcony Gty); 125% FCC option... target date would be 4/30 per RCI original email. 

Cruise planner purchases (Internet and 3 night dining); 125% OBC option  (Received the automated email of cancellation on 4/20 that others received, but not counting it as we opted for the OBC, not the CC refund it was indicating.)

If or when I see refunds and credits... I'll update accordingly. 

Take care and stay safe. 

KCCO

Keep calm and Cruise on. 

58 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

We saw our cash refund today for the June 5 Ovation Alaska cruise that Royal cancelled in the second wave around March 24.  It was cancelled in the system 4/10 (well, that's when I got the cruise planner cancellation).

Wow !  That's awesome.  I don't think I have heard of anyone getting a refund from June yet.  

I received a series of Cruise Planner cancellations today from the beginning of April.    The only thing I'm missing are the Port Fees and Taxes from the canceled Mar 22nd sailing.  I got the FCC, just not the refund.   Close to being all settled up.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow !  That's awesome.  I don't think I have heard of anyone getting a refund from June yet.  

Ours disappeared from upcoming cruises pretty quickly after it was canceled compared to what I see for others.  Maybe we weren't as far away from having made final payment so it made a difference?  Who knows...I imagine there's all sorts of snags with the way they designed the systems to not make it cut and dry to mass issue refunds.

40 minutes ago, tcneal said:

I received a series of Cruise Planner cancellations today from the beginning of April.    The only thing I'm missing are the Port Fees and Taxes from the canceled Mar 22nd sailing.  I got the FCC, just not the refund.   Close to being all settled up.

I wonder what order they are doing all these refunds. My Cruise was supposed to be March 14th. I have only received FCC and no refunds for anything yet.

9 hours ago, vanelli56 said:

Glad to hear some refunds are starting to trickle in. That give me some hope... as I was starting to really worry and thinking about the CC chargeback route. But will give it at least 45 days. We were a part of the 2nd wave of cancellations.... The email from RCI said to give 30-days for the refunds and that FCC would be issued by 4/30.  

Here's my status this far and will update as they change:

Ovation May 22nd Alaska cruise.

Cancelled by RCI on or around 3/23 or 3/24.

Contacted TA to discuss options. 

official cancellation email received from TA on 3/30. (Starting my clock)

I think the cruise was finally removed from my account on or around 4/18 (ish). 

Cabin 1 (Inside); 100% cash refund option... target date would be 4/30 (30 days+/-)

Cabin 2 (Balcony Gty); 125% FCC option... target date would be 4/30 per RCI original email. 

Cruise planner purchases (Internet and 3 night dining); 125% OBC option  (Received the automated email of cancellation on 4/20 that others received, but not counting it as we opted for the OBC, not the CC refund it was indicating.)

If or when I see refunds and credits... I'll update accordingly. 

Take care and stay safe. 

KCCO

Keep calm and Cruise on. 

My cancel date was March 13 and my target date was the April 13th. (In writing)  Then the 15th, Then 20th   both "guaranteed" then the 24th (told). Then as of last night "We only started your process on April 10. It will be another 45 days" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Chris Capson said:

I wonder what order they are doing all these refunds. My Cruise was supposed to be March 14th. I have only received FCC and no refunds for anything yet.

Call them and ask when yours was processed then count out 30 business days from the date they say, that will give you a decent estimate on when you will receive your refund.

Ya know... I'm in the cruise business  "kind of". I do big game fishing trips, often in the Bahamas . I often act as travel agent  booking the air, transfers, lodging, etc for my parties. We do take deposits and full payments for these trips. Weather gets in the way of some trips or unforseen mechanical issues might cause cancellations as well.  The client gets choice of  whole cash back or book again (with some extra bennies tossed in)  and that  very day funds are made available...  One push of a button they get reimbursed as they wished within minutes... No excuse for a company the size of RCCL to not have a far more streamlined  and faster system. If I ran my boats as poorly as they do this refund system they would be  on the bottom!

Just now, deep1 said:

Ya know... I'm in the cruise business  "kind of". I do big game fishing trips, often in the Bahamas . I often act as travel agent  booking the air, transfers, lodging, etc for my parties. We do take deposits and full payments for these trips. Weather gets in the way of some trips or unforseen mechanical issues might cause cancellations as well.  The client gets choice of  whole cash back or book again (with some extra bennies tossed in)  and that  very day funds are made available...  One push of a button they get reimbursed as they wished within minutes... No excuse for a company the size of RCCL to not have a far more streamlined  and faster system. If I ran my boats as poorly as they do this refund system they would be  on the bottom!

I agree 100%.

My guess is that there was so many cancellations that their system likely crashed, causing them to process refunds by hand. 

My biggest issue with them right now is the complete lack of honesty to their customers as far as the timelines. We get it, you messed up your timeline the first time, tell us that with a mass email rather than making me call and ask where my refund is.

2 hours ago, KyleW2 said:

I agree 100%.

My guess is that there was so many cancellations that their system likely crashed, causing them to process refunds by hand. 

My biggest issue with them right now is the complete lack of honesty to their customers as far as the timelines. We get it, you messed up your timeline the first time, tell us that with a mass email rather than making me call and ask where my refund is.

The dishonesty had me at the point of chest pains last night... I was guaranteed in writing 30 days (by April 13) .As of last night the story had changed ten times since the 13th and I was told it would  be about 45 more?!!!!!!!!! I need that money not for me but complete another booking or two!

12 hours ago, KyleW2 said:

Call them and ask when yours was processed then count out 30 business days from the date they say, that will give you a decent estimate on when you will receive your refund.

So i called them today. They told me at least a couple more weeks for my refund, it isn't even queued to give me the refund yet. They apologize that their accounting department is backed up with all the requests. This is Royal playing a game to hold everybody's money as long as they possibly can. I also don't get how people that cancelled after me already got their refunds. It will be more then 2 months after my cruise was actually cancelled, not when Royal said it was, before i get my money. The biggest kicker to me is they processed my upgrade fee 2 days before they cancelled the cruise and i still haven't gotten that back yet. This is the biggest amount along with taxes and port fees that i would like back.

I don't mean this to sound like a jerk in any way at all.

But, why are so many of you calling to talk with Royal about your refund? Do you think that your call is in any way speeding up your refund? 

I also have a refund coming. I'm not going to call. If I do, all that will happen is my expectations will be raised and I will be irritated. I believe that there is nothing I can do to make my refund come faster.

Again, not trying to be a jerk. Save yourself from the anxiety and just wait.

1 hour ago, Poolside said:

But, why are so many of you calling to talk with Royal about your refund? Do you think that your call is in any way speeding up your refund? 

I also have a refund coming. I'm not going to call. If I do, all that will happen is my expectations will be raised and I will be irritated. I believe that there is nothing I can do to make my refund come faster.

You do realize that it shouldn’t take 2 months to receive refunds right?

It does not hurt to call when the day they told us refunds would be here has come and gone and people are still without refunds. 

It has nothing to do with getting a refund quicker, but it is finding out if it has been processed so you can count out the 30 days from process date to get an approximate arrival day since their estimates aren’t right. 

Some of us aren’t okay letting a company hold our money and continuously lie about when we will get the refunds, starts to make you think the refund will never come. If our complaints aren’t heard, nothing will ever happen about it. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Chris Capson said:

So i called them today. They told me at least a couple more weeks for my refund, it isn't even queued to give me the refund yet. They apologize that their accounting department is backed up with all the requests. This is Royal playing a game to hold everybody's money as long as they possibly can. I also don't get how people that cancelled after me already got their refunds. It will be more then 2 months after my cruise was actually cancelled, not when Royal said it was, before i get my money. The biggest kicker to me is they processed my upgrade fee 2 days before they cancelled the cruise and i still haven't gotten that back yet. This is the biggest amount along with taxes and port fees that i would like back.

Wow, that is crazy that they haven’t even processed your refund yet. Sorry to hear that.

Royal has botched this majorly. I’m curious how the refund process went for the other cruise lines, or if they are just as bad with it. 

2 hours ago, Poolside said:

I have had great luck in the past calling to resolve problems... Often it takes a few calls to get with an agent who understands how to get things done and has some customer service skills. Writing has its place as well to lay out specifics...

I called today to ask for my refunds and was told that yesterday they were processed but it could take a couple of days for my credit card to reflect it. My dissapointment came when I asked for the amount and it corresponded just to some (not even all) of the cruise planner activities, then they told me refunds are process in 2 different systems, one for the cruise planner and other for the rooms. So, supposely the cruise planner refunds will be processed this week but for the room I have to wait a couple of weeks more (I cancelled on march 18 and asked for 100% refund).

My main concern as everybody is that they just keep extending the timelines and I'm worried they could back down once they realize they could bankrup.

1 hour ago, RichardMexico said:

I called today to ask for my refunds and was told that yesterday they were processed but it could take a couple of days for my credit card to reflect it. My dissapointment came when I asked for the amount and it corresponded just to some (not even all) of the cruise planner activities, then they told me refunds are process in 2 different systems, one for the cruise planner and other for the rooms. So, supposely the cruise planner refunds will be processed this week but for the room I have to wait a couple of weeks more (I cancelled on march 18 and asked for 100% refund).

My main concern as everybody is that they just keep extending the timelines and I'm worried they could back down once they realize they could bankrup.

It sounds like you may be on the same schedule we were.  I was told our refunds were processed 4/19 and it finally showed up in my account on 4/25.  Just want to give you some hope.  

As for the refunds being processed out of two different systems, that sounds right.  The refunds were actually made via several (8-9?) total deposits.  The grand total was correct, but there was no way to tie-out what they related to.

Also FWIW, other than one minor portion of our meal package being refunded on 4/1, all of our cruise planner purchases were refunded on 4/25.  

Good luck!  

On 4/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, deep1 said:

The dishonesty had me at the point of chest pains last night... I was guaranteed in writing 30 days (by April 13) .As of last night the story had changed ten times since the 13th and I was told it would  be about 45 more?!!!!!!!!! I need that money not for me but complete another booking or two!

Obviously they're holding on to our money as long as possible, making interest off it as  long as they can.  i'm still waiting as well. i have it in writing 30 days from Royal (not business days), so I will start dispute with bank/visa after that.  I'm afraid they will file bankruptcy to avoid paying.. Not go out of business , just wipe the slate of debt clean. 

1 hour ago, Shooppy said:

Obviously they're holding on to our money as long as possible, making interest off it as  long as they can.  i'm still waiting as well. i have it in writing 30 days from Royal (not business days), so I will start dispute with bank/visa after that.  I'm afraid they will file bankruptcy to avoid paying.. Not go out of business , just wipe the slate of debt clean. 

If they were to file for bankruptcy, they might as well never start up again. The backlash would be enormous, as you could kiss goodbye to any perspective clients sailing on there cruise line, let along getting your loyal customers returning.