cruise from port canaveral

gi333

hello everyone. 

just looking for advise for cruise next year from port canaveral.  i know the port is like 45 minutes away from airport. any suggestion of hotel near the port or car rental that ou can take the car from airport and leave it next to the cruise pier ?

we would be looking into arriving a day or two before the cruise departs. 

thank you all for your great help

We rent from Hertz at the Orlando airport and stay at the Residence Inn in Coco Beach.  Hertz has a rental office within walking distance of the RI so you can use the car all day and into the evening (even after the Hertz office has closed). It’s very convenient. Then, for returning back to Orlando, we take a Royal bus shuttle from the port.  We normally avoid the cruise shuttles, but this is one exception as it is reliable and convenient.  

No, the hotel is very close to the port.  Probably no more than 5 miles.  The hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the ship.  Sorry....I forgot to mention that part.  I think there is a charge for the shuttle to the port but I cannot recall how much it is.  Very little. I also cannot remember how much the cruise shuttle is back to the airport but I believe it is in the neighborhood of $75 per person.  It might be less. I just don’t recall.  Sorry.

We were just on a RCCL cruise, round trip Port Canaveral. We originally booked a room at the JW Marriott Grand Lakes, but we found out there was going to be a rocket launch the morning of embarkation, so we switched to the Radisson Resort at the Port in Port Canaveral. (The launch was scrubbed, but we were happy to be so close to the port - 15 minutes, tops.) From the airport, and upon disembarkation we used Mears Transportation to and from the airport and took an Uber to the port from the hotel.

10 hours ago, gi333 said:

Anyone can recommend else where near cocoa Beach? I saw around Titusville area etc. 

I've recommended the Fairfield Inn & Suites Melbourne Viera Town Center before.  It's not on the beach, same as Titusville, but it's roughly the same distance, just south of the port instead of north.  @raahc can vouch it's a nice hotel/value!

It's about a 30 minute drive to the port but it's a brand new hotel and tends to be cheaper than some of the Cocoa Beach offerings.   Then you can rent from one of the rental car companies from the airport and drop it off the day of the cruise at the rental car agency.  Enterprise is actually located at the port and is probably the closest rental agency, but most of them are really close.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I've recommended the Fairfield Inn & Suites Melbourne Viera Town Center before.  It's not on the beach, same as Titusville, but it's roughly the same distance, just south of the port instead of north.  @raahc can vouch it's a nice hotel/value!

It's about a 30 minute drive to the port but it's a brand new hotel and tends to be cheaper than some of the Cocoa Beach offerings.   Then you can rent from one of the rental car companies from the airport and drop it off the day of the cruise at the rental car agency.  Enterprise is actually located at the port and is probably the closest rental agency, but most of them are really close.

Hi @gi333

I started planning for our cruise about 6/7 months before sailing (returned last month) and didn't know where to stay as well.  RC blog is amazing!  I had so many options ... MCO, Orlando, near the port or Cocoa beach.  I finally decided  on Melbourne - so grateful to @AshleyDillo  

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Melbourne Viera Town Center for two nights.  It was very clean, new, and we loved the area, very peaceful and quiet!  Wish we had stayed longer!  The hotel is really amazing.  I was able to save a lot of $$$ too!

We flew into MCO, picked up a car from Hertz, and shopped around Orlando area, had lunch, then drove to Melbourne.  The next day, we visited Port Canaveral and Cocoa beach.  

On embarkation day, we returned the car to Hertz, hopped on their shuttle and was at the terminal and on board the ship by 10:45 am!