Good idea to reschedule in hurricane season? (Caribbean)

Hi folks!

I was going to cruise at the end of March but now I have to reshedule thanks to Covid19, and since my airline is not letting me reschedule after October, I was thinking the possibility of taking the cruise at the begining in August (which I think is the worst of hurricane season in Western Caribbean).

Those of you who have plenty of experience in cruisers, do you think is a good idea? Or Im better of resheduling until December even If i lose some money on flights?

Just now, RichardMexico said:

Hi folks!

I was going to cruise at the end of March but now I have to reshedule thanks to Covid19, and since my airline is not letting me reschedule after October, I was thinking the possibility of taking the cruise at the begining in August (which I think is the worst of hurricane season in Western Caribbean).

Those of you who have plenty of experience in cruisers, do you think is a good idea? Or Im better of resheduling until December even If i lose some money on flights?

The peak of Hurricane Season is September 10th with a secondary peak on October 10th.  That said, many people successfully cruise during Hurricane Season every year.  The rates are low and the ships can mostly avoid the storms.  The problematic issue would usually be related to a hurricane affecting a home port on embarkation day.  Other than that, they can usually avoid the issue.

We’ve gone quite often during hurricane season.  Never had an issue.   Although in the Caribbean you can expect to see more cloudy days and rain off and on during that time of year.   Not enough to be a show stopper.   The prices are often much more reasonable.

On my first cruise (on a cruise line that wasn't RCCL, but rhymes with...uh... "Shmarnival"), we found ourselves at sea during Hurricane Matthew; the crew kept us very well informed, and they just altered their a bit and also closed the bridge to the "Behind the Fun" tour, but other than that, it went smoothly.

Would I cruse in the Caribbean or even along the East Coast between June 1 and November 30? Absolutely. I'd rather be at sea than on land!

The past 2 summers, we booked a 4 night cruise for the last week in August.  First one we had perfect weather.  It was hot, but hey, it's a cruise so was totally fine.  Last summer, we were on the fence due to Hurricane Dorian that was brewing. Luckily for our cruise, the only impact was that they closed CoCo Cay due to Dorian, but otherwise, the ship sailed where it was nice weather.  

I believe you have less chance of hurricane's early August, but of course there is no guarantee. 

We have this summer booked again...which may or may not happen....due to any weather issues, and now things are up in the air with this virus.  Fingers crossed.