Loyal to Royal (for now), but NOW Carnival is REALLY TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS!

WOWZERS! This is wonderful compensation. Very pricey, too. Wonder if Carnival will weather this storm in the next 10 years. . . . But still, WONDERFUL COMPENSATION!

The meat of the article:

Carnival Cruise Line is now detailing the compensation passengers will receive during their cancelled cruises.

Friday evening, it was announced that the company would be suspending all sailings until April 9, with the intention of resuming operations on Friday, April 10.

A letter from Carnival President Christine Duffy offered more details, including how impacted passengers would be compensated. “We are sorry to share the news that Carnival Cruise Line is temporarily pausing service, effective with all sailings departing Saturday, March 14 through April 9, 2020 across its fleet of North America based ships,” she said. “We will resume service on April 10, 2020.”

READ MORE: Carnival Cruise Line Temporarily Cancels Sailings 

The letter went on to say, “As you know COVID-19 has now turned into a global pandemic. Carnival has responded by implementing higher levels of screening, monitoring, and sanitation protocols to protect the health and safety of our guests, crew, and communities we serve. We have had no diagnosed cases linked to our operations and we are committed to continuing to do our part to support public officials in their efforts to manage and contain this unprecedented public health situation.”

Guests will have two options when it comes to their cancelled Carnival cruise.

What Cancelled Carnival Cruise Guests Will Receive

Cruises six or more days 

• Option 1: Passengers can receive a 100 percent future cruise credit, plus $600 on board credit per stateroom to be used on their next cruise.
  • Option 2: Guests who opt not to take a future cruise credit can receive a 100 percent refund.

Cruises five days or less 

• Option 1: Passengers can receive a 100 percent future cruise credit, plus $300 on board credit per stateroom to be used on their next cruise.
  • Option 2: Guests who opt not to take a future cruise credit can receive a 100 percent refund.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-line-details-passenger-compensation-and-refunds/

Just now, Ogilthorpe said:

On the surface the $600 OBC seems generous, but for any bookings that are more than $1200 pp, the Royal offer of 125% is better compensation. It appears both companies are spending generously on incentives, just distributing them a little differently.

I agree.  $600 OBC on a Star Class cancellation would be waaay less than 25%.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

I think Carnival has greater impact from this.  It was the Carnival brand and Princess name dragged through the mud in the media.  With more ships to fill they really need to entice customers back.  Royal does as well but Carnival's exposure is greater.   

Totally agree. Princess did a number on the brand. 

59 minutes ago, Jill said:

You couldn’t pay me to sail Carnival. 

With all due respect, Carnival does a job that is overall the equal to RCCL.  Better at some things, not as good as others.  The menus are quite good.  The entertainment is comparable.  Their comedians are much better.  The place Carnival has not competed is in the arms race (ship size and innovation).  Otherwise very similar.  

When shopping for cruises, I look at RCCL and Carnival.  They are both in my price range and comfort level.  I would pay half as much or 2/3s as much for NCL or Celebrity.  I'm not really interested in Disney because of all the kids (my three are enough for me).  Point is if someone gave me a trip on one of those other lines, I would gladly take it.  If paying Carnival or RCCL for me.  

Just asking you, Miss Jill, to have an open mind.

The dates are similar March 14 to April 9.  It looks like despite announcing 60 days cessation they are selling cruises starting April 10.  

The Carnival FCC is single use.  Any unused FCC if forfeited.  Traditionally Royal has allowed FCC to be split across more than one cruise.  

Other terms look the same - can't be used for deposits, taxes, port fees gratuity or onboard expenses.  

It's splitting hairs really, for some one offer is slightly better, for another it will be the opposite.  

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

The Carnival Horizon Southern Caribbean cruise was pretty awesome. Seriously as good or better then Royal (and we always sail Royal Suite Class).  

I really do agree Tony.  Carnival got the reputation of a frat house at sea decades ago.  It's just not true.  Sure there is more late late night stuff on Carnival, but truth be told, a blindfolded person would have a hard time telling the two apart.  

I realize, I'm defending Carnival on an RCCL forum, and I really like RCCL.  I guess I've dissed Disney Cruises because of all the kids and I've never been on DCL.  Truth is, all the major lines do a really  good job, and we may have our preferences, but you can't go wrong in a normal situation on any of them.

We had a group birthday cruise scheduled for April 20th and cancelled because 17 of 23 people going cancelled. I got back 50% of my fare as a FCC and the rest a a refund. I told them to wait but most believe it will be May before the cruise industry can resume. I don't really like CCL but its aesthetics...I find the decor to be ugly and garish

Like @twangster said things really boil down to semantics as the offer really isn't that great. Although they are giving high FCC and OBC it won't work out that great as the price for a future cruise in a decent room will eat up the 125% and you will still owe more. Plus they have like one drink package capped at 15 drinks total, they don't do "washy, washy" and since its 'budget friendly" there seems to be tons of filthy children.

Royal has a better loyalty program, internet and interior decorating....imho.

6 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

We had a group birthday cruise scheduled for April 20th and cancelled because 17 of 23 people going cancelled. I got back 50% of my fare as a FCC and the rest a a refund. I told them to wait but most believe it will be May before the cruise industry can resume. I don't really like CCL but its aesthetics...I find the decor to be ugly and garish

Like @twangster said things really boil down to semantics as the offer really isn't that great. Although they are giving high FCC and OBC it won't work out that great as the price for a future cruise in a decent room will eat up the 125% and you will still owe more. Plus they have like one drink package capped at 15 drinks total, they don't do "washy, washy" and since its 'budget friendly" there seems to be tons of filthy children.

Royal has a better loyalty program, internet and interior decorating....imho.

I like Carnival's lunch options better.  I like RCCL's MDR dinners a little better.  I like Carnival's comedians better.

I like RCCL's fleet much more.  Carnival has simply not competed in the ship "arms race" until very recently.  The majority of their ships are more than 20 years old (Fantasy Class and Spirit Class).  The Breeze and Magic are very nice.  They are a nice comparison to the Voyager Class and came 10 years later.  But it's only in the last couple of years they have anything that compares the RCCL's newest ships.  They have nothing to compete with the Freedom Class and even with their newest ships only 2 or 3 to compete with Royals newest two classes that are numbering close to 10 combined.

4 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

I like Carnival's lunch options better.  I like RCCL's MDR dinners a little better.  I like Carnival's comedians better.

I like RCCL's fleet much more.  Carnival has simply not competed in the ship "arms race" until very recently.  The majority of their ships are more than 20 years old (Fantasy Class and Spirit Class).  The Breeze and Magic are very nice.  They are a nice comparison to the Voyager Class and came 10 years later.  But it's only in the last couple of years they have anything that compares the RCCL's newest ships.  They have nothing to compete with the Freedom Class and even with their newest ships only 2 or 3 to compete with Royals newest two classes that are numbering close to 10 combined.

Yeah but they have a Guys Burger Joint........

Wish Royal would offer us something...we now have to cancel our cruise on April 17th....as we cant wait till April 13 to hear if they will start up again as we fly in before that.

As a result we are losing money on flights and hotels, with nothing from Royal.

Best case is a FCC....which will be worth about 50% as Royal cruises (and others) will temporarily go through the roof and already have started.

I feel Royal started out well and got ahead of the game, but now their offer is lacking.

31 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

we now have to cancel our cruise on April 17th....as we cant wait till April 13 to hear if they will start up again as we fly in before that.

I would hold off on canceling the cruise until April 13.  It doesn't matter if you wait as you'll get the same FCC as you would today.  But you may luck into Royal canceling before you hit the 48-hour mark and get the higher FCC offer.  

43 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Wish Royal would offer us something...we now have to cancel our cruise on April 17th....as we cant wait till April 13 to hear if they will start up again as we fly in before that.

As a result we are losing money on flights and hotels, with nothing from Royal.

Best case is a FCC....which will be worth about 50% as Royal cruises (and others) will temporarily go through the roof and already have started.

I feel Royal started out well and got ahead of the game, but now their offer is lacking.

Do you have anything already booked further out? I am going to use my FCC from April 12th sailing and apply it to November Oasis (Thanksgiving) that’s already booked. 

51 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I would hold off on canceling the cruise until April 13.  It doesn't matter if you wait as you'll get the same FCC as you would today.  But you may luck into Royal canceling before you hit the 48-hour mark and get the higher FCC offer.  

I agree with Ashley. @monctonguy, even if you know you aren't going, you have until 48 hours to take advantage of the new policy to cancel. Little to lose, everything to gain by waiting.

39 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Do you have anything already booked further out? I am going to use my FCC from April 12th sailing and apply it to November Oasis (Thanksgiving) that’s already booked. 

You can put a FCC towards an already booked cruise?!..if so, that would be fantastic actually.....cruising in Nov on Odyssey

21 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

You can put a FCC towards an already booked cruise?!..if so, that would be fantastic actually.....cruising in Nov on Odyssey

Yes, including one that is paid in full.  

If the FCC is greater than the Nov. cruise they will typically re-issue the left over FCC once you complete the Nov. cruise.  That becomes FCC you can apply to another cruise.

FCC can only be applied towards base cruise fare.  It can't be used to pay for taxes, port fees or prepaid gratuity.  It can't be used as a deposit on a new cruise, it has to be applied to an existing booking even if that booking is brand new and was made just to use up the FCC.

Be aware that Odyssey is potentially in jeopardy of not completing on time if this virus becomes an extended event.  Shipyard labor could be impacted and Odyssey *might* get delayed.  Keep track of the your FCC details if you will apply it against Odyssey.  Keep detailed notes because it can become confusing when they start offering something on a cruise like Odyssey if they do end up postponing the inaugural.   

1 minute ago, monctonguy said:

Yeah..never thought about the completion date, but anything is a possibility right now I suppose.

I will hold off for a bit before doing anything...hope I dont lose that cruise...cant handle 2 cruise disappointments in7 months!

I hear you.  Just wanted to throw it out there.  I have a previous FCC that I may apply to a later cruise just so I can keep Odyssey simple for now.

12 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I am perplexed by the title of this thread. It appears (mathematically) that Carnival isn’t doing anything better than Royal on the cancelled cruises. On most itineraries I bet the extra 25% FCC comes close to or surpasses $600 OBC

It is a subjective title, not purely objective nor totally accurate in the quantitative realm. I created this title as many of us on these message boards will NOT receive the additional 25% FCC for our cancelling. Hope that helps. ?

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

It is a subjective title, not purely objective nor totally accurate in the quantitative realm. I created this title as many of us on these message boards will NOT receive the additional 25% FCC for our cancelling. Hope that helps. ?

But you would be getting EXACTLY the same treatment from Carnival, they would not be handling your situation any differently; but I agree, it sucks on many, many levels 

5 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Update from Carnival just came in:  We booked the Breeze after we were allowed to change our trip for free but before Carnival ceased operations.  I figured we were out the $1200 in OBC (2 staterooms @ $600 each).  I just received the email that we get the credit anyway.  I just applied for it.  Carnival just handed us $1200 we didn't expect.

Again, I am partial to both RCCL and Carnival.  I know some on here have no use for Carnival, but they stepped up to the plate for us... and the Breeze is a really nice ship.

3 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

Update from Carnival just came in:  We booked the Breeze after we were allowed to change our trip for free but before Carnival ceased operations.  I figured we were out the $1200 in OBC (2 staterooms @ $600 each).  I just received the email that we get the credit anyway.  I just applied for it.  Carnival just handed us $1200 we didn't expect.

Again, I am partial to both RCCL and Carnival.  I know some on here have no use for Carnival, but they stepped up to the plate for us... and the Breeze is a really nice ship.

Received our FCC today, and as I knew, we did not get the additional 25%. Oh well.