How I'll Cruise Differently After Covid-19

FManke

Just now, FManke said:

Everybody is hyper focused on the here and now with Covid-19.

But, how will you cruise differently after Covid-19?

Will you do anything differently?

Happy future cruising!

Nope. I work in healthcare as an ICU RN. Wash your hands and dont cough or sneeze on people. Viruses come and go.

I'll be the honest, realist, voice and say I'll probably do nothing different. Soon things will settle down and it'll no longer be covered by media. People will forget all about the extra precautions they once took.

On a cruise I wash my hands often but don't put much thought into getting sick. I'll do the same on my upcoming sailing in September.

Great topic for people to respond to.

When do you all think the cruise lines will be back up and running, "business as usual"?  Once the suspension ends, it will probably take some time for the itineraries to be rescheduled and the destinations to clean up from this mess before they welcome tourist back into their countries. 

I suspect this is going to hurt the industry for at least 3-6 months. 

I'm doing my best to get "real" people's opinions and not pay any attention to the circus my husband is watching on tv.  LOL!  

I will be sure to take airborne twice a day. This has been my normal routine when traveling for years. I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Explorer last week. They were doing such a great job sanitizing the ship I got lax in taking my airborne (I still practiced religious hand washing). I now have bronchitis and an ear infection. 

I won't do anything differently on a cruise -- I already exercise the best hygiene practices I can given the large crowds and the fact the ship's my home for several days.

This has driven home the importance of travel agents for me, though, and I will certainly never book a trip on my own. Also, I now understand the value of keeping an eye on prices even after you book and even pass final payment -- the upgrades that can be found are sometimes fantastic!

I hope something the cruise lines have done for years carries over to land and that is Purell everywhere! No touch Purell stations in every store and restaurant and mall and everything else. I love it when we are on a cruise. I use it every single time I see one, multiple times. I hope that land based stores adopt that policy. 

1 hour ago, Quilter620 said:

I will be sure to take airborne twice a day. This has been my normal routine when traveling for years. I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Explorer last week. They were doing such a great job sanitizing the ship I got lax in taking my airborne (I still practiced religious hand washing). I now have bronchitis and an ear infection. 

Gee I am sorry to hear that!  I am a believer in zink so I take ZiCam when on cruises.  I can't resist the Solarium pools and hot-tubs, so for some reason it always seems like I come home with the sniffles.  It usually goes away pretty quick though.

We disembarked the Anthem this morning and I can't say we did anything much different than usual, except this time we carried our own hand sanitizer with us.

1 hour ago, Quilter620 said:

I would get a coronavirus test.

1 minute ago, Mljstr said:

Yes, my change is I will never book an inside cabin no matter how cheap it is! Just the thought of a possible quarantine in an inside cabin scares me?

I didn't think of that angle but boy do I agree. I have only had one inside cabin and that was my first. I did have a Promenade view but at least we had a window and a view of something. You bring up a GREAT point though.

2 hours ago, CowboyMedic said:

Nope. I work in healthcare as an ICU RN. Wash your hands and dont cough or sneeze on people. Viruses come and go.

Paramedic Firefighter here and I also work part time in the ER as a ED Tech, no change here other than washing my hands and using hand sanitizer as usual.  People are going nuts over this thing and do not realize that yes it is deadly but mainly to those that are old/young in age and have secondary conditions such as diabetes or congestive heart failure.  For the average person that is young or middle aged then it is almost like a case of the flu.  The coronavirus is not as lethal as some media outlets are making it seem, that being said I know that it is spreading rapidly but its just not as lethal as some are fearing that it is. 

2 minutes ago, Jill said:

Being a stage 4b cancer survivor, I adopted stringent personal protocols when I was in treatment that stay with me today. I avoid the Windjammer as much as I can. I take a lot of supplements for my immune system as well. Don’t touch handrails or elevator buttons. Wash hands a lot. 

Glad to hear you are a survivor. ❤️

3 minutes ago, Jill said:

3 1/2 years NED (no evidence of disease). Our May Symphony is to celebrate as we’ve done the past 3 1/2 years. Hopefully our Italy/Greece cruise on Odyssey in October of 2021 will be celebrated official Remission 

That is awesome and I hope no more cruises, your and mine are not called. Again, very happy you are a survivor. My father passed away of cancer going on 12 years now. I know a little bit of what you went through and do NOT want anyone to. Someday hopefully it will be a thing of the past.

4 hours ago, CowboyMedic said:

Nope. 

4 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I'll be the honest, realist, voice and say I'll probably do nothing different.

4 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

No changes, since we're in good health (knock on wood), we'll just continue to use common sense and washy, washy frequently as in the past.

3 hours ago, Chadster said:

I won't do anything differently on a cruise -- I already exercise the best hygiene practices I can given the large crowds and the fact the ship's my home for several days.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

No changes planned.  

I'm pretty sure that's most peoples' response and I'm not worried about you guys, I'm worried about the others who would respond the same way, but weren't cautious in the first place.

3 hours ago, Mljstr said:

Yes, my change is I will never book an inside cabin no matter how cheap it is! Just the thought of a possible quarantine in an inside cabin scares me?

Yes!  My wife and talked about this same thing while driving home from Bayonne today.  We like to cruise as cheap as possible, so we can cruise more.  BUT, one of the reasons we were willing to sail the Anthem last week was the extra comfort of having booked a balcony.  By coincidence, our next two cruises booked (Harmony & Anthem) are also balconies.  Like @Mljstr, I think we are going dig deeper into our pockets going forward.  Also another benefit was the view at 6:32AM on Friday the 13th...

20200313_073253.jpg

I will never book again without a travel agent! I do believe the amount of time and effort and stress my husband and I dealt with and spent over the phone would’ve been alleviated had we had a TA. Lesson learned. But we will truly value and appreciate the TA in the future knowing what they deal with!

On 3/15/2020 at 8:35 PM, HeWhoWaits said:

The only thing I MIGHT change is to be more vocal (and potentially obnoxious) when telling idiots to wash their hands before leaving the restrooms.

Get a bunch of those little hotel-sized soaps or small bottles of hand sanitizer and throw them at people like you're riding on a parade float and throwing beads or candy!

I stepped up my hand washing on the last cruise this past February (i.e. washing hands after using the handrail climbing up/down the stairs and every time i passed a sanitizer).  I'm a stage 4 colon cancer survivor with out a spleen so I also do my best to avoid anyone coughing.  Since this last cruise as covid 19 was only in China I do a lot more hand washing even at home.  I always took an extra week of medication with me but now will travel with a 30 day supply of prescription meds + the length of he cruise.

Had to cancel my Alaska cruise for this June, although it looks like it will be cancelled anyway, next up is September and I hope things are back to normal by then.

10 hours ago, DandA said:

I stepped up my hand washing on the last cruise this past February (i.e. washing hands after using the handrail climbing up/down the stairs and every time i passed a sanitizer).  I'm a stage 4 colon cancer survivor with out a spleen so I also do my best to avoid anyone coughing.  Since this last cruise as covid 19 was only in China I do a lot more hand washing even at home.  I always took an extra week of medication with me but now will travel with a 30 day supply of prescription meds + the length of he cruise.

I sympathize with you and really like your approach.  I have a compromised immune system and in 98 had my colon removed to prevent cancer.  Which left me with kidney and liver issues.  I am very careful now to keep my hands clean and to try not to touch railings and things I don't need to.  I can walk stairs without needing balance support.  I am working to try to stop touching my face as often as I do, but doubt if I will ever be able to stop with that altogether.  BUT love to cruise and hope to be able to continue to do so.  I am really hoping this experience will have a lasting effect on others who don't take cleanliness seriously.  I am happy to report that on our Anthem cruise which we disembarked on Sunday, I did not see anyone jumping the Windjammer sink line or anyone passing directly through it.  There were a few complainers, but no offenders! ?

On 3/15/2020 at 10:55 AM, FManke said:

Everybody is hyper focused on the here and now with Covid-19.

But, how will you cruise differently after Covid-19?

Will you do anything differently?

Happy future cruising!

We will get the vaccines when they are generally available, just like the flu.  Other than that, we don't plan on visiting Asia, and we may wait awhile before visiting Venice.  I like the other posts about just being smart, washing hands, etc.  

Actually, I am thinking I should work harder on my bucket list as we never know what the future will bring....