New to the forum, new to cruising

Hi everyone, my name is Brandon and I am taking my wife on our first cruise for our 15th wedding anniversary.  We are sailing out of Miami on the Enchantment of the Seas for a 4-day Bahamas cruise in a Grand Suite.  We embark in 48 days.  I've got a few questions.

1) What is a typical size carry-on?  Are we talking rollers like those for airlines?

2) Two bottles of wine are permitted still correct?

3) How difficult is it to get the cabanas on CoCo?

4) Are there any other penalties for trying to get liquor on or is it just confiscated ?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Welcome, Brandon !  Congratulations to you and your wife.

1.  Anything that you carry on yourself must fit through the standard sized electronic (airport, conveyor-belt type) scanner...so only luggage that you could get through security at an airport can get through security at the Port.  Anything bigger must be left with the porters.  That luggage will be brought to your cabin later....usually before dinner, but sometimes a little later.

2.  2, 750 ml bottles of wine per CABIN

3.  You will be contacted prior to your sail date by the ship's Concierge - usually 7 - 10 days ahead.  At that time, (among other things) you will be offered a cabana.  You can then choose which cabana you want and it will be reserved for you (I personally like #1, 2 or 3).  Unlike other "purchases" made prior to your cruise (specialty dining, beverages packages, etc.), the cost for your cabana will not be paid up front.  That cost will be added to your seapass account.  That way, you can use OBC to help pay for the cost of the cabana, if you choose to (assuming you have OBC to spend !).

4.  There are no penalties, as such.  There is no liquor smuggling jail or anything.     :huh:   They will simply confiscate it and return it to you at  the end of the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise...but you should realize, before you go, that cruising IS habit-forming.  You, your wife, or both of you MAY become addicted.  Alas...I speak from experience.

The only people I've ever talked to that say they hated cruising had never been on a cruise!

Many of my friends who spent their working lives on the water have no interest in Cruising. I find this really to be true with my Navy friends, 4 out of 5 say, no to taking a cruise just because it is a ship. I have tried to tell them it is not the same but after 20 years plus USN they have strong opinions. I did get one friend from this group on a cruise last Christmas, and he loved it.

Since you are  a suite guest you will have a number of advantages over the other guests.  Before the evening meals you have free drinks in the concierge lounge, use your gold sea pass card to get in the lounge.  Reserved seating in the shows.  The list goes on.   But most of all make sure you have the right documents to get on board and DONT BE LATE!.....otherwise I m sure you will have a wonderful time

WAAAYTOOO, you mentioned the concierge will call ahead of time to offer things, what else (besides the cabanas) is offered? 

Well...let's see.

The welcome email will introduce the Concierge and let you know that he/she is there to help you in any way they can during the cruise.

There are many things that the Concierge can help you with.  If you want reservations at any of the specialty restaurants (not sure which of those Enchantment has) and you haven't yet made those reservations, the Concierge can do that for you.  You will not need any entertainment reservations so you don't need to worry about that.  This is also the time to let the Concierge know if you have any health or medical issues such as food allergies or if you want a pillow topper on your bed, etc.  They will take care of that for you.

There are many Suites perks that will apply to you.  You have probably already looked at that list.  IMO there are 2 Suites perks that "make" it for me.  #1 is that you can have any meal delivered to your suite from the MDR.  Those who are not in suites are limited to a very small menu of room service items but as a Suite guest, you are able to get anything that is on the menu, that day, from the MDR.  So on Fisherman's Platter night (lobster night, if they have one on Enchantment) you can have your lobster meal delivered to your room.  The only limitation to this perk is that the service is limited to hours that the MDR is in operation....so you cannot get your lobster delivered at 4 AM.  #2 seems to vary from ship-to-ship so I won't promise that they have this one on Enchantment...but for ships that do offer it, you can have a sit-down breakfast at Chops.  Even on a single ship this service can vary.  On Freedom, last year, we got this breakfast on port days but on sea days the restaurant was open "to the public" for lunch so they didn't offer the sit-down breakfast option.  But...on days that they do offer it, this is a wonderful service.  Not crowded, quiet, relaxing and you can get a full breakfast menu, including Eggs Benedict (hubby's fave).  The waiter even hopped over to the WJ and got grits for me, even though grits is not on the menu.  He had to change legs though...it was a long hop to do on one leg. (just a little breakfast humor there).

Just to let you know, if you feel you want to contact the Concierge BEFORE he or she contacts you, you  can do that at any time.  The Concierge email for Enchantment is EN_concierge@rccl.com.  The format for all concierges is basically the same.  The first 2 letters of the ship's name, underscore, concierge@rccl.com.  The only exception is for the Oasis class (and maybe the Quantum class....not sure), where there are multiple concierges.  For Allure, for example, it's AL_concierge01 or 02@rccl.com.  If you know for sure that you want a certain cabana and you don't want to take the chance that someone else will reserve it before you, just send them an email ahead of time and let them know which one you want.  They WILL write you back (I have never had them fail to do so)...and they will let you know that they are "holding" it for you.  If it is too far ahead then they cannot actually reserve it (they can't charge your seapass account if it's still far in the future) but they will make a note of it and when the time comes, they will make the reservation and let you know.  If you decide to contact them before they contact you, be SURE that you include your names, sail date and reservation # so that they know which sailing you will be on.

Another nice perk for suites guests who are going to Coco Cay is that the Concierge will give you priority access to the tender.  Basically, they take you down to the disembark area and you "cut" in line and get on the tender ahead of everyone else.  Be warned, however, that this only works for the OUTbound portion.  Coming back to the ship, you are on your own ! There is also a similar disembark procedure at the end of your cruise.  Only trouble is, no matter how much you try, they will NOT let you get back on the ship !  :lol:

Perhaps there are people who hate cruising...but I would have them committed for obviously being out of their minds !

You either love or hate Donald Trump.  Cruising is nothing but pure love.

:P

My wife used to dislike cruising, but after we had a child she learned to appreciate what a cruise could offer.  In addition, cruises have changed since we first started cruising.  Cruises are now less formal and less regimented than in the past, which were her two biggest complaints.  In addition, we've been able to find itineraries that offer either late nights in port or even overnights, which really allows us to enjoy a port more than in the past (i.e., get off and hurry up and get back on).  Last summer, we took a trip to Northern Europe that stayed late in port most days and even overnighted in Iceland.  This summer, we're taking a trip that has several late night stops and two ports that have overnight stays and one port that has a double overnight stay.  Thus, even if the first trip isn't stellar, it is very likely that you can analyze what you did or did not like and find another ship or itinerary that might address any dislikes.