Question for those who have sailed on Royal last couple of weeks

My family and I are scheduled to sail on Independence April 13th.  If things go as planned,  this will be Indy's first sailing once operations resume. Here's my question.  Should I expect strong chemical/disinfectant smells on the ship? My wife has asthma and is severely allergic to chemical smells and fragrances. To those who have recently sailed, what has it been like the last couple of weeks in regards to this?  Has there been a strong smell all over the ship because of the extra cleaning?  We're trying to decide whether to cancel or not because of this.

Hi - I’m currently on the Anthem. There has been  increased cleaning routinely around the ship but I have not noticed any harsh smells (and I’m pregnant, my nose smells everything)!  Just lots of hand sanitizer everywhere! Tough call but good luck! 

My wife currently on Ovation out of Sydney. Was going to New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands for 11 days. 

New Zealand has stopped any ships docking at any port, South Pacific has 'storms', so the ship just sailing to nowhere. Captain said he would let them know later, maybe today.

No known sickness on board. 

I was on the Explorer last week and walked past numerous crew while they were cleaning. We didn't notice any chemical scent. I think Royal Caribbean is being very careful to use non-scented cleaners for those of us who are sensitive to that kind of thing. My cabin mate has severe reactions to cleaners and she was fine all week.

14 hours ago, Dodger said:

My wife currently on Ovation out of Sydney. Was going to New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands for 11 days. 

New Zealand has stopped any ships docking at any port, South Pacific has 'storms', so the ship just sailing to nowhere. Captain said he would let them know later, maybe today.

No known sickness on board. 

I hope you're at least having a good time!

We just returned from the Symphony yesterday and I believe it was the cleanest place to be! No smells at all, but staff were constantly wiping and cleaning railings, doors, walls. We really felt like it was very safe and clean everywhere! Hoping that sailing do begin again in April as the staff who rely on tips have no income coming in ?

Just now, Jilybean23 said:

We just returned from the Symphony yesterday and I believe it was the cleanest place to be! No smells at all, but staff were constantly wiping and cleaning railings, doors, walls. We really felt like it was very safe and clean everywhere! Hoping that sailing do begin again in April as the staff who rely on tips have no income coming in ?

I joked that they were wiping down parts of Symphony that probably haven't been touched since they were originally painted in 2018! 

15 hours ago, smap said:

Hi - I’m currently on the Anthem. There has been  increased cleaning routinely around the ship but I have not noticed any harsh smells (and I’m pregnant, my nose smells everything)!  Just lots of hand sanitizer everywhere! Tough call but good luck! 

Hi @smap and welcome to the blog.  We too just got off Anthem this morning and are home in MA now.  Yes, we saw extra cleaning.  It seemed like whenever our stateroom attendant Roynald had free time, he was wiping down all of the railings and door handles on our floor (7th).  He looked to be using a water-based solution which was a bit sticky when wet.  But there was no smell at all.  This morning he was preparing all staterooms for fumigation.  He had placed the beds in the middle of the room and put the mattresses up on edge and against each other making sort of a tent.  I have no idea how that will smell when completed.  But there will be plenty of time for any of that smell to dissipate within the next month.  @plasticmasterGood Luck with whatever you do.  BTW, our Anthem cruise was great with no know issues.  It was our first time to the new Coco Cay and it was awesome.