75% Off Isn't Necessarily a Great Deal

When we were on Freedom two weeks ago, I decided to buy myself a watch.  I don't wear one all the time, but mine

is getting some age and I wanted a nicer one.

I was perusing the specials on the Promenade and found a pretty Invicta that was 75% off of the "retail" cost of $525.

I ended up paying $149 for it and was pretty happy (Mattheus was super helpful and nice, BTW).

A couple of days after I got home, I looked on the net to see just how much I saved...to my huge disappointment, 

every site I saw had it for less money.  Some of them a good bit less.  

So, my advise is to be smart when you shop.  If you have connectivity, research before you buy.  I know that, in the end, 

it's my fault for not knowing any better, but nonetheless...  It's still a lovely watch, and I'm going to enjoy it.

When we were on Freedom two weeks ago, I decided to buy myself a watch.  I don't wear one all the time, but mine

is getting some age and I wanted a nicer one.

I was perusing the specials on the Promenade and found a pretty Invicta that was 75% off of the "retail" cost of $525.

I ended up paying $149 for it and was pretty happy (Mattheus was super helpful and nice, BTW).

A couple of days after I got home, I looked on the net to see just how much I saved...to my huge disappointment, 

every site I saw had it for less money.  Some of them a good bit less.  

So, my advise is to be smart when you shop.  If you have connectivity, research before you buy.  I know that, in the end, 

it's my fault for not knowing any better, but nonetheless...  It's still a lovely watch, and I'm going to enjoy it.

This is the one thing about my first cruise that has me turned off about the next one. The constant selling of the same items on the Promenade gets my brain jaded as I start to think of it as a mall I've already walked three times that day. I suddenly am not seeing the fun of the promenade but a boring done that mall. I love the little pocketbooks and cover up I got there but now, I have to remind myself that the ship isn't boring. Just the 'mall' I walked too much. And when they overide the lovely music during my coffee break for the yelling sales over the microphone and count down to the sale like we're all lemmings....well you can see....the 7days of looking at the same watches and plastic jewelry really got to me.

Sorry. :(

I like invicta watches, but I buy them from Amazon.  

Yes...Amazon carries them from $55 to $4500.   I would feel better dealing with a vendor that I have a rapport with in case there was a problem.  Impulse buying on a cruise can be a very expensive lesson.  The only thing I will buy are consumables.  

Sorry. :(

I like invicta watches, but I buy them from Amazon.  

evine.com has them also and they have their own shopping channel.  Just had a sale last weekend.  They also have a place on their site for watches (and other things) that aren't selling too good and have them discounted even more.  I go by them when they pull them out, most are older models so I just look.

In this day and age no reason you should make any larger purchase without checking on the web. If you just enter the name and model and hit search you can have the real pricing within a few seconds. I do this with the seller standing in front of me. And then use the interest price as the basis of what I will pay.

In this day and age no reason you should make any larger purchase without checking on the web. If you just enter the name and model and hit search you can have the real pricing within a few seconds. I do this with the seller standing in front of me. And then use the interest price as the basis of what I will pay.

Well, of course.  And had I had voom I could have done that right at the counter, but since I was internetless, I decided to bite that shiny lure on that hook.

I am, however, relatively comfortable with the prices of the liquor I bought, both on the ship and in port.

I just can't believe just how much I brought home.  I don't even drink a lot of mixed drinks, 

but I know these prices were solid, and some aren't sold in the U.S., so I did it.

13166027_1121889764498333_23039515524450

Y'all come over for a mojito!

If you'll re-invite me during the holidays, I'll take a nogretto.  This is a concoction that I created - Eggnog and Amaretto.  Liquid candy !

Think of me when you have one.  They are SOOOOOOOO good.  ...but you'll probably only want 1.  They are so sweet and so rich. ...but yummmmmmm

Did you visit the Cruzan factory in St. Croix ?  That was extremely interesting and they were so hospitable and happy to have us come to the factory.  Don't miss it if you go to St. Croix.

If you'll re-invite me during the holidays, I'll take a nogretto.  This is a concoction that I created - Eggnog and Amaretto.  Liquid candy !

Think of me when you have one.  They are SOOOOOOOO good.  ...but you'll probably only want 1.  They are so sweet and so rich. ...but yummmmmmm

Did you visit the Cruzan factory in St. Croix ?  That was extremely interesting and they were so hospitable and happy to have us come to the factory.  Don't miss it if you go to St. Croix.

Last year, during the holidays, I discovered the nogretto (love that name)!  Seems the axiom about great minds is at work here!

I also created a drink that has yet to be named - 43 and eggnog.  43 is a Spanish liqueur that tastes a lot like butterscotch.

licor43cuarentaytres__88782__17203.13585

Definitely has to be made in a tiny glass or sugar shock can result!

Well, of course.  And had I had voom I could have done that right at the counter, but since I was internetless, I decided to bite that shiny lure on that hook.

I know was not a negative comment against you.....I to have swallowed those hooks. Somehow the hook always is easy going in but painful in the end.  

Floski, you are not alone. I did the EXACT same thing. Got caught up in the excitement and bought a watch for my wife and myself. Upon returning home to my wifi enabled iPad, I did my research. Lesson learned. The watch I paid $225ish for was available all over eBay for $120ish. Very disappointed in RC for allowing it. They have the guy who does all those seminars about "port shopping" and all the pitfalls running non stop on the ship tv, but allow a scam like that right on the promenade deck !!! Very disappointing

Floski, you are not alone. I did the EXACT same thing. Got caught up in the excitement and bought a watch for my wife and myself. Upon returning home to my wifi enabled iPad, I did my research. Lesson learned. The watch I paid $225ish for was available all over eBay for $120ish. Very disappointed in RC for allowing it. They have the guy who does all those seminars about "port shopping" and all the pitfalls running non stop on the ship tv, but allow a scam like that right on the promenade deck !!! Very disappointing

I definitely put that into my post-cruise survey, but I know it doesn't mean anything to them. 

After all the BS I've see you guys going through with these cancellations prove to me that RCCL doesn't really give a flip about their customers.  Sadly, like every other business in the world, it's no longer about "how we can improve things for the customer so that they will stay with us", it's more like "how much can we get in our pockets right now, and we'll worry about the future later".

To quote Michael - very disappointing.

Floski - May I ask how you transport all the alcohol home? Do you fly? I thought there was a limit. Hoping I'm mistaken.

We somehow managed to all fit into my and my wife's carry-ons.  I don't know how they did, but they did.

We had driven down from Charleston, so once we got out of the terminal and back to the hotel, we were golden.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to Total Wine just to try and gauge how we fared.  All of the ones that were comparable, 

I saved some money - not a lot, but I'm not disappointed.  Some of the bottles (the special Amaretto, the special Malibu,

obviously the Guavaberry and the Sheridan's) weren't there for me to compare.

Okay, one more whine and I'll be done.

I was looking on the Invicta website and they have a link to their store, so I was curious and went there.

I looked up the watch I got onboard the Freedom, and the list price is $149, and it's now selling for $111.75.

So, where the hell did RC come up with a list price of $525?  Man, I feel like I've been duped, big time.

Okay, I'm done.  Thanks.

Yesterday, my wife and I went to Total Wine just to try and gauge how we fared.  All of the ones that were comparable, 

I saved some money - not a lot, but I'm not disappointed.  Some of the bottles (the special Amaretto, the special Malibu,

obviously the Guavaberry and the Sheridan's) weren't there for me to compare.

When I used to haul back booze from the Caribbean, I found buying onboard wasn't worthwhile as the savings wasn't very significant vs. the hassle of bringing it home (this was back when you could carry on 5 liters in a carry-on onto the plane).  The biggest savings for me was to be found at A.H. Riise in St. Thomas, and pretty much anyplace in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, but I'm a rum drinker so I gravitated to places with the largest selections of rum.

Now-a-days I buy perhaps one new bottle per cruise, and pray it survives the flight in my luggage.

Rather than buy stuff you can get at home, may I suggest exploring brands or expressions you can't get there (such as the guavaberry you mentioned, though to be honest I couldn't drink the stuff).  Or instead of a generic bottle of Bacardi, try something like Admiral Rodney Extra Old rum from St. Lucia - something you can't get here.  That way each time you drink it you'll be reminded of your great cruise!

When I used to haul back booze from the Caribbean, I found buying onboard wasn't worthwhile as the savings wasn't very significant vs. the hassle of bringing it home (this was back when you could carry on 5 liters in a carry-on onto the plane).  The biggest savings for me was to be found at A.H. Riise in St. Thomas, and pretty much anyplace in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten, but I'm a rum drinker so I gravitated to places with the largest selections of rum.

Now-a-days I buy perhaps one new bottle per cruise, and pray it survives the flight in my luggage.

Rather than buy stuff you can get at home, may I suggest exploring brands or expressions you can't get there (such as the guavaberry you mentioned, though to be honest I couldn't drink the stuff).  Or instead of a generic bottle of Bacardi, try something like Admiral Rodney Extra Old rum from St. Lucia - something you can't get here.  That way each time you drink it you'll be reminded of your great cruise!

Yeah, I didn't mean to get so much, especially stuff that I can get here.  We loved the Sheridan's, so that was a no-brainer, but I don't know why I got the amaretto or Malibu when it's readily available.

I guess I just got caught up in the vacation spending spree.  Next time, I'll definitely tone it down.