Allure Amp Not Now!!!

Update on Allure Amp

Royal Caribbean has decided to reduce the scope of the redevelopment of the 'Allure of the Seas' at the Navantia Cádiz shipyard. The shipping company has postponed the renovation of the cabins and the intervention will be limited to the propulsion elements and the hull, according to sources from the shipyard.
The 'Allure of the Seas' plans to arrive this Sunday at Cádiz from Barcelona to start the beaching. With this reprogramming, the stay of the cruise ship in the Cádiz shipyard will be significantly reduced.”

Although many will be disappointed I am sure that what is happening Is close to worst case scenario for the cruise industry.  On the bright side, from past comments, the boardwalk rooms will have a better view of the ocean, maybe the full Sabor stays and is unique. Less rooms means slightly less people. An Oasis class ship as originally intended. 

Just trying to stay positive as my 2 day romantic getaway on Celebrity has been cancelled.  

6 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

Any word if it will be re-scheduled? Or it will not sail amped for the next five years?

Nobody knows right now, of course.  But it seems to me that they are going to have to do something with all of the materials that they have purchased and staged in Cadiz - stuff like the water slides and everything else that they were going to install.  It would make sense that they are just going to wait for the port to re-open and then go in for a modified amplification OR delay the start of the summer European itin and complete the amplification.  Of course, this would only happen if the dry dock is available to extend the scheduled dry dock and this would seem doubtful.  My guess....they fix the azipods and do whatever else they can fit into their shortened dry dock and the rest will have to wait, something like Adventure experienced a few years ago.

Ummm.....I'm hoping it's real apparent that it's not the time to re-decorate something you already own. But rather, it is a golden opportunity to maintain those assets.

It should be expected that every ship for the next 30 days is completely repainted, re-carpeted, and re-gasketed.

New water slides and restaurants? Wrong answer.

6 hours ago, bobroo said:

Ummm.....I'm hoping it's real apparent that it's not the time to re-decorate something you already own. But rather, it is a golden opportunity to maintain those assets.

It should be expected that every ship for the next 30 days is completely repainted, re-carpeted, and re-gasketed.

New water slides and restaurants? Wrong answer.

Perhaps.  However I think Royal was doing pretty well with their buzz related to amplification.  I'm booked on Allure in November and was anticipating an amplified ship.  I guess I can look at Oasis sailings.

Just my two cents, taking into consideration that RCL borrowed  a considerable sum, stock price is down over $100 per share. The suspension of cruise operations, still needing to pay employees at HQ and else where, they need to conserve capital to stay liquid. Won't be surprised if more amplification's are postponed or delayed. They equipment will most likely go into storage. Any improvements to their private islands will be delayed. Just my thoughts...

9 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

My guess....they fix the azipods and do whatever else they can fit into their shortened dry dock and the rest will have to wait, something like Adventure experienced a few years ago.

I'm in agreement a majority of the supplies and pre-fabrication has been completed. Mothballing the "AMP" work wouldn't make much sense. 

Having already done Oasis I'm sure the ship yard and Royal know where the time sinks are.

If I had to guess the largest would be new deck 14 staterooms. Same time those rooms will be money makers. Another one would be the Spa stateroom makeovers. Once again those bring in a revenue increase. Flip side they don't require the major work a deck redesign does.

In the end I really think it comes down to manpower availability once the shipyard allows Allure to come in and work can start. With Allure being Amped a sales pitch for the summer season I'm sure stuff will fly if that part of the drydock isn't completed.

As someone who has just returned from the transatlantic taking Allure over to be Amped ...( great job RCI by the way had a great time & all was well) . This is not bad news ..ship was in good shape no need for a stupid Robo Bar & the Abyss spoiling the Boardwalk. Diamond Club stays where it is ?. Maybe some new furniture needed around and about other than that just fix that engine. 

11 hours ago, gatorskin76 said:

Perhaps.  However I think Royal was doing pretty well with their buzz related to amplification.  I'm booked on Allure in November and was anticipating an amplified ship.  I guess I can look at Oasis sailings.

Agree I was booking Allure for March 2021 and wondering why it was thousands less than Symphony (which I had booked for 4/4 so obv need to reschedule) but I am not adding 2 or 3 grand to get the same cabin I had already booked for this year. I was hoping it would have the new slides etc. Will Sabor be there either way? That was a favorite.

10 hours ago, CGTLH said:

I'm in agreement a majority of the supplies and pre-fabrication has been completed. Mothballing the "AMP" work wouldn't make much sense. 

Having already done Oasis I'm sure the ship yard and Royal know where the time sinks are.

Adding that in this day of lean business processes (thanks Toyota) there is quite a bit of “just in time” supply.  While some of the items may have been ordered or even made, they might not be onsite.  In lean processes having the necessary material lying around waiting for use is wasted money, space, etc.  That can help the port by reducing unnecessary supplies from laying around and wasting space.  Looking at lean processes for Royal this means the project manager could have a timeline that does not require the new materials to be available until after the removal and cleaning of the space that will be remodeled.  As a byproduct in this situation, it is possible that the supplies were on order but not actually purchased.  That could mean the capital is still with RC and the higher ups are choosing to keep that capital.  That is just speculation but does seem to fit with the situation.

We are scheduled to be on the 1st cruise following the amplification and Royal have yet to confirm whether this is cancelled or going ahead. The amplification was a big factor for me choosing this cruise and if it's not going ahead I may have to reconsider. This isn't helped by the fact Spain and Italy are both in lockdown and are also the countries with the highest volume of cases in Europe and these are where some of the stops are. Looking at cruise mapper it would appear Allure has been sailing for nearly 2 days from Barcelona heading towards Gibraltar which could be an option since all Spanish ports are refusing entry. 

not looking great at the moment ? 

Given the dry dock is scheduled to be happening now, at what point will there be more clarity on exactly what is and isn't being completed? And where would the best place to get that information be?

We just booked Dec. 20 on the Allure and a big reason for doing do was the water slides and some of the other additions. We love the Oasis-class ships but that stuff is big for our kids. If the slides aren't put in, there's a good chance we might consider changing boats.

7 hours ago, jeffmw said:

Given the dry dock is scheduled to be happening now, at what point will there be more clarity on exactly what is and isn't being completed? And where would the best place to get that information be?

We just booked Dec. 20 on the Allure and a big reason for doing do was the water slides and some of the other additions. We love the Oasis-class ships but that stuff is big for our kids. If the slides aren't put in, there's a good chance we might consider changing boats.

Jeffmw we're in the same boat, no pun intended.... 

According to this, the ship is headed back to the US and the work is canceled. The ship appears to still be hanging out around Gibraltar, so doesn't yet seem to be headed across the Atlantic, but it definitely is not docked at Cadiz.

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/cadiz/coronavirus-crucero-cancela-reparacion-astillero-Cadz_0_1446455562.html

Translation: 

The Allure of the seas cruise , which was due to arrive this Sunday at the Navantia shipyard in Cádiz, is heading today to the port of Hampton in the United States after suspending its planned repair in this factory. Union sources have confirmed to Efe he cancellation of this contract for this ship of the Royal Caribbean company, which was to join the reform that began to run last week in Puerto Real of the Carnival Victory. Royal Caribbean had already decided to reduce the scope of the Allure of the Seas remodeling.

11 hours ago, jeffmw said:

And where would the best place to get that information be?

The best place to get information is going to be from official cruiseline announcements -- straight from the horse's mouth.  Even that translated story above may not have the full picture and scope of the situation as they don't know what Royal has in the works to find alternate solutions.  You really won't know for sure until Royal announces it.

I was on the Allure transatlantic to Spain.  Since they removed the propellor blades from the starboard azipod there is a pronounced shimmy and shake resulting from the defunct azipod floating in the slipstream when underway.  

Royal needs that azipod fixed.  I'd be highly surprised if they come back to America with the azipod untouched as they have no choice but to cross again to get it fixed. 

I can see the amplification being postponed but the dry dock marine maintenance work is essential.    It costs a lot to move a ship across the Atlantic.  They are better to find a commercial dock to hangout or float just off the coast and wait through this.  In a few weeks time US cities will be where some European cities are now with respect to the virus so there is no point coming back to America.  

55 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The best place to get information is going to be from official cruiseline announcements -- straight from the horse's mouth.  Even that translated story above may not have the full picture and scope of the situation as they don't know what Royal has in the works to find alternate solutions.  You really won't know for sure until Royal announces it.

Another article about the suspension of the dock work across the board: 

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/noticias-provincia-cadiz/astilleros-cadiz-navantia-periodo-suspension-coronavirus_0_1446755495.html

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was on the Allure transatlantic to Spain.  Since they removed the propellor blades from the starboard azipod there is a pronounced shimmy and shake resulting from the defunct azipod floating in the slipstream when underway.  

Royal needs that azipod fixed.  I'd be highly surprised if they come back to America with the azipod untouched as they have no choice but to cross again to get it fixed. 

I can see the amplification being postponed but the dry dock marine maintenance work is essential.    It costs a lot to move a ship across the Atlantic.  They are better to find a commercial dock to hangout or float just off the coast and wait through this.  In a few weeks time US cities will be where some European cities are now with respect to the virus so there is no point coming back to America.  

I'd imagine you're correct that they have to make the operational repairs no matter what. I suppose the question is, if the ship has to be docked long enough for that to take place, what additional manpower do they have to do the other updates and what are the priorities? And to what level is this a decision based on the workforce (the ability for people to work together in the dock) vs. an attempt to curb budget given the current state of the industry?

The article states that the "he cancellation of this contract for this ship".  That does not mean that a new modified contract could not be executed.  Cadiz is one of the only shipyards in the world (in the west, anyway) where the azipod work can be completed so it would make no sense to send the ship back to Hampton.  No dry dock work could be completed at Hampton. I agree with @jeffmw that, if the ship does go to dry dock, they probably will do SOME of the amplification work, but certainly they will not have the full amplification that had been planned.

53 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

I'd imagine you're correct that they have to make the operational repairs no matter what. I suppose the question is, if the ship has to be docked long enough for that to take place, what additional manpower do they have to do the other updates and what are the priorities? And to what level is this a decision based on the workforce (the ability for people to work together in the dock) vs. an attempt to curb budget given the current state of the industry?

Different aspects of the planned amplification have different levels of effort. 

Adding water slides required opening the pool deck and installing water tanks.  it's a pretty significant effort to rip up the pool deck, drop in the support equipment underneath it, then rebuild the pool deck.

Adding the Ultimate Abyss is by no means "easy" but it doesn't require the same level of effort as the water slides take.  

Adding new cabins above the bridge is a pretty significant level of effort.

Converting Sabor into Playmakers is an effort but does not involve major structural work relative to some of the other amp changes.

Once challenge they will have is scheduling shipyard time.  Other shipyard work for cargo, tanker and other ships is also being interrupted.  That will all have to be rescheduled.   In many cases the materials for the amp were designed to be delivered just in time.  Coordinating all the supply chain effort to a new schedule isn't going to work out for all elements of the amp.

38 minutes ago, twangster said:

Different aspects of the planned amplification have different levels of effort. 

Adding water slides required opening the pool deck and installing water tanks.  it's a pretty significant effort to rip up the pool deck, drop in the support equipment underneath it, then rebuild the pool deck.

Adding the Ultimate Abyss is by no means "easy" but it doesn't require the same level of effort as the water slides take.  

Adding new cabins above the bridge is a pretty significant level of effort.

Converting Sabor into Playmakers is an effort but does not involve major structural work relative to some of the other amp changes.

Once challenge they will have is scheduling shipyard time.  Other shipyard work for cargo, tanker and other ships is also being interrupted.  That will all have to be rescheduled.   In many cases the materials for the amp were designed to be delivered just in time.  Coordinating all the supply chain effort to a new schedule isn't going to work out for all elements of the amp.

I’d be happy with just playmakers, bbq and music hall? I think they will do money generating works, But happy if they leave it alone as long as we can cruise in November I’m a happy bunny ?

17 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I suspect Royal would like to have Allure Amped "no later" than Nov 2021 for Galveston...sure they will amp her as soon as possible however.

The question is timing. The dry dock was supposed to be from now through May 10, at which point the boat returns to an ongoing schedule with nonstop passenger cruises through Spring 2022, at least. In other words, whatever they don't get done in the next 8 weeks they'd have to either cancel more cruises [which they really can't afford to do] to make time to do the work, or it won't get done at all for the foreseeable future.

2 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

The question is timing. The dry dock was supposed to be from now through May 10, at which point the boat returns to an ongoing schedule with nonstop passenger cruises through Spring 2022, at least. In other words, whatever they don't get done in the next 8 weeks they'd have to either cancel more cruises [which they really can't afford to do] to make time to do the work, or it won't get done at all for the foreseeable future.

They have canceled cruises to do work on a ship before.  I believe it was Adventure that ended up with its remodel getting split into 2 stages due to a hurricane.  When an opening appeared in a dry dock's schedule, they canceled several cruises with not much notice to take advantage.  Of course, it may be harder to do that in the next couple years because a LOT of dry dock time is getting delayed.

5 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

My guess and it’s only a guess, with the May sailing selling very cheap and people are cancelling I’d say they will do the works and start cruises once completed..

10 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

A nice spot of fish and chips? Who knows. Maybe it's the only place that'll let them let the crew off occasionally to stretch their sea legs.

You appear to be correct. It's a good 200 miles west of where it said it was this morning. It had been inside the Strait and now it's sailing up the coast of Portugal. It could certainly turn around at any time, but it appears it's going somewhere north. Southampton is a huge port. I'm no expert by any means, but is it possible it could be one of the only other ports capable of executing the propeller repairs?

1 minute ago, jeffmw said:

You appear to be correct. It's a good 200 miles west of where it said it was this morning. It had been insight the Strait and now it's sailing up the coast of Portugal. It could certainly turn around at any time, but it appears it's going somewhere north. Southampton is a huge port. I'm no expert by any means, but is it possible it could be one of the only other ports capable of executing the propeller repairs?

I'm only going by what it  literally says on marrinetraffic.com

allure.PNG.8b386333ae70c6c47adb0dfb72af1f64.PNG

34 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Yeah...I get that...no one can give an answer of certainty. Again I suspect at the "Latest" Royal will "like" to have her amp before going to Galveston & the new facility that will be built there...just my guess. However, I suspect they will amped her as soon as possible, when that opportunity, undoubtedly, present itself. They have done it before; I anticipate they will do it again, even after all this mess, short of a global depression.

Saw this update today:
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2020/03/18/royal-caribbean-puts-allure-of-the-seas-and-explorer-of-the-seas-amplifications-hold-due

Bit of a non-update, but it does confirm that things are on hold for now. I suppose the fact that there are physical operational issues with Allure would give it precedent to have at least some of the work one, but sounds like it could be cut back considerably. ?

Any word on the new amp date ,  I was on the allure a few months ago and it need refurbishment very bad even running on one engine ,  i booked the allure this February 2021 only because it was getting a complete over haul ,  any ideas if this refurbishment will be done this year 2020 ??????????