Just missed the cut off

My husband and I were due to cruise on Oasis of the Seas April 12th. As of today, we’re 29 days away so we’re in the 30 day mark. Why is RCCL saying they’ll resume sailings on April 11th when that is only 28 days away if the suspension just started today? We planned on waiting a bit and cancelling about 2 weeks prior just in case anything changed. Got news today that DOD stopped all domestic travel and that included cruises through May. The military won’t approve him leaving so my question is, do you think there is a chance we can get the full refund or will it most likely just be a FCC? I’m currently on hold with them. 

I don't think the "30 days" was meant to be literally exactly....sorta like if it's 12:57pm, you naturally convey, it's 1 o'clock or if you paid $49.11, you naturally would say you paid $49. I suspect, that's where the confusion stems; therefore, just look at the resume operation date they give, as your barometer.

14 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I don't think the "30 days" was meant to be literally exactly....sorta like if it's 12:57pm, you naturally convey, it's 1 o'clock or if you paid $49.11, you naturally would say you paid $49. I suspect, that's where the confusion stems; therefore, just look at the resume operation date they give, as your barometer.

Fingers crossed they extend the suspension so we have the option for a full refund. Military won’t let us cruise even if we wanted to lol

Here is part of the release from the DOD pertaining to travel, both national and international. As I read it, it only is for the military deployment so how it is going to affect us civilians remains to be seen. 

DOD bans all domestic travel for personnel and families amid coronavirus crisis. Pentagon officials late Friday announced a total domestic travel ban for all troops, civilian personnel and their families until May 11 in an effort to limit their potential exposure to the coronavirus. 

The Department of Defense issued a stop movement of all personnel to, from or through locations designated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as Level 3 COVID-19 areas effective March 13 and for the next 60 days.
The stop movement applies to all forms of official travel, such as permanent change of station, temporary duty and government-funded leave for uniformed and civilian personnel and includes personal leave and other non-official travel for uniformed personnel. Level 3 locations currently include most of Europe, South Korea, China and Iran. However these are subject to change as determined by the CDC.

https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2111550/dod-directs-stop-movement-in-response-to-covid-19/

4 hours ago, CherishH said:

The military won’t approve him leaving so my question is, do you think there is a chance we can get the full refund or will it most likely just be a FCC? I’m currently on hold with them. 

Most likely a FCC.  I would hold off on voluntarily canceling in case they extend the blackout period.  You have 48 hours to cancel..I would wait it out until then since you would get the same FCC whether you cancel today or then.  If Royal cancels you will get the refund.

They never said 30 days.  Others who reported it may have applied the 30 day term but Royal was careful to avoid using a count of days in their announcements.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL VOLUNTARY SUSPENSION OF CRUISING

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. After the decision was made on March 13th to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, we've now made the decision to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide, effective at midnight, March 15th. If you are currently onboard a cruise, there’s no need to worry. We will complete our current sailing and debark as planned. Our goal is to resume operations on April 11th, 2020.

If you do the math that is 27 days.  Since they intend to be fully operational on 4/11/2020 that day isn't included.  

Having said that, my gut thinks the country hasn't reached bottom yet.  This will get worse in the coming weeks.  An extension is highly likely IMO.

Dr. Michael Osterholm (noted Epidemiologist, University of Minnesota) was interviewed last week and said that he's concerned that people think this will pass in 3-4 weeks.  I won't say how long he expects it to impact us (you can go look up the talk on YouTube if you're interested - Joe Rogan/Michael Osterholm), but I wouldn't plan anything for April or maybe even May.   ?

3 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Dr. Michael Osterholm (noted Epidemiologist, University of Minnesota) was interviewed last week and said that he's concerned that people think this will pass in 3-4 weeks.  I won't say how long he expects it to impact us (you can go look up the talk on YouTube if you're interested - Joe Rogan/Michael Osterholm), but I wouldn't plan anything for April or maybe even May.  There was just a case of a person who was confirmed recovered from Corvid-19 who was confirmed reinfected, so there may not be any immunity to it once you get it, either, which will complicate things.  ?

I’m not sure why they didn’t suspend for 60 days minimum. To be honest, I still would have gone on my cruise if not for the DOD suspension. It was supposed to be our first anniversary trip. 

1 minute ago, CherishH said:

I’m not sure why they didn’t suspend for 60 days minimum. To be honest, I still would have gone on my cruise if not for the DOD suspension. It was supposed to be our first anniversary trip. 

Why would anyone dispose of 60 days income when one does not know of it is necessary? There is tremendous benefit to Royal waiting 3 weeks, re-evaluating the landscape and extending the “blackout”; no harm - no foul.

1 minute ago, TXcruzer said:

Why would anyone dispose of 60 days income when one does not know of it is necessary? There is tremendous benefit to Royal waiting 3 weeks, re-evaluating the landscape and extending the “blackout”; no harm - no foul.

I agree.  Plus it breaks up the number of people they have to deal with.  If they did 60 days, they'd be having a lot more people calling them within the first 2 days to deal with the issues - now they just have to deal with the first wave of complaints.

10 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Original press release for the suspension of United States operations had stated 30 days.

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/84/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/

That was dated March 13 going into effect at midnight for US ports.  April 12 is still outside of that. Same effect.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Dr. Michael Osterholm (noted Epidemiologist, University of Minnesota) was interviewed last week and said that he's concerned that people think this will pass in 3-4 weeks.  I won't say how long he expects it to impact us (you can go look up the talk on YouTube if you're interested - Joe Rogan/Michael Osterholm), but I wouldn't plan anything for April or maybe even May.   ?

OMG I saw this video, I also have a cruise for April13 and have not canceled yet. My guess and hope is that RCC will extend the blackout date!

On 3/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, Zambia-Zaire said:

Baloney, they are lying now because they don't want to lose money that weekend. Here's the proof...they said it themselves and, now, they are going back on their word. We already cancelled our travel arrangements, etc., because we were going to take the 125% credit (our cruise leaves on April 11th).

1584198195_ROYAL-CARIBBEAN-ANNOUNCES-VOLUNTARY-SUSPENSION-OF-CRUISING-03132020.pdf

On 3/14/2020 at 7:59 AM, Zambia-Zaire said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21179109/royal-caribbean-cruise-suspension-coronavirus-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR15Kv03xgbyMsBR0G_abqxM_-Dom23e8rNYsv6aAQ48ohAnsEqwV9BAw70   Hmm this story says 30 days and so did the story that Trump said they would pause for 30 days. I believe carnival was also included in the 30 day pause and I believe they are scheduled to return 4/11 and the 30 day did not start until 3/14

Image may contain: text