Prices went up...

Total speculation on my part, but the positive for the people whose cruises were cancelled is they feel like they are getting a better deal (125% FCC), but then the increased prices on the more popular cruises means the value of that FCC isn't worth as much on those cruises.  The FCCs may also mean those cruises are likely to fill, driving up the cost for people without FCCs. This maybe this will drive some of them to book into the emptier cruises where they can get better value on that FCC and spread out the load.

Regardless, I give RCL a lot of kudos for how they are handling this.  I have a June B2B on Mariner and I was hoping for a decent priced upgrade, but now I expect the cruise will be full.  I'd actually be OK if the cruise is full, because it means people are still willing to cruise and that the restrictive policies (like the denied boarding for diabetics and such) will have been lifted.  It is also the path back to full profitability for RCL and hopefully won't delay some of their expansion plans.  

Just a thought.

You will also notice that if you are thinking of taking advantage of the “Cruise with confidence” cancelation, any cruise you book after the deadline of July 31, 2020 is priced at around 50-80% more expensive than the similar Royal Caribbean cruises in 2019. That way your cruise credit is worth a lot less if you want to use it for a like cruise later in the year or next year. For example the cruise I am booked on next month, should I take a cruise credit and book the same cruise next year, the price for the 2021 cruise is almost double. Once again, another example of Corporate greed. RC is the least generous of all the cruise lines. Most of the other lines have cancelled all of their cruises until May or June but not RC. They have been drip feeding their loyal customers with last minute cancellations. Their Cruise with confidence policy is full of small print which amounts to a rip off. Most cruise ports in Asia and South Pacific are closed yet you can still book these cruises from Australia. Then you get on and they tell you "Oh we can't go there now"  I have been a loyal cruiser with RC but they have shown their true colors. Never again.!!

•  

Yes I mentioned this on another thread. My cruise planner choices for my November sailing went up in a few hours, in the morning they were 25% off by afternoon, 10% off. I was watching for the key to drop, instead it went up and the same with the refreshment package from 22pp to 28pp. 

This will not stop me from sailing though, praying for the awful situation to be done with. I have many blessings and this too shall pass, everyone be safe and stay healthy!

bon voyage goodbye GIF by Amy

We rebooked our Anthem cruise from this weekend (March break) for December (xmas break) and the same rooms are a lot more ($1200 more for non-ref, $2500 more for ref). But that could be a few factors as we booked our cancelled cruise almost 2 years ago, Dec is xmas break and Dec is 8 days over 7 days.  

I actually checked today and there is a price drop...but it's not like I'll get through as I can imagine time lines are crazy today.  So will just have to let it go.

For applying our FCC, we do have other cruises booked as well.  But as you say, I imagine prices will go up as this is going to hurt Royal and and any other cruise line .

I  think im done with rcl.   We got cancelled last year same time due to Oasis damage.  They gave us another cruise free except for taxes and fees...but we had to use it before April 5th now they have cancelled this one and we lose our free cruise, and they will not honor the previous discount which was no fault of ours...

On 3/14/2020 at 7:24 AM, mathbees said:

Total speculation on my part, but the positive for the people whose cruises were cancelled is they feel like they are getting a better deal (125% FCC), but then the increased prices on the more popular cruises means the value of that FCC isn't worth as much on those cruises.  The FCCs may also mean those cruises are likely to fill, driving up the cost for people without FCCs. This maybe this will drive some of them to book into the emptier cruises where they can get better value on that FCC and spread out the load.

Regardless, I give RCL a lot of kudos for how they are handling this.  I have a June B2B on Mariner and I was hoping for a decent priced upgrade, but now I expect the cruise will be full.  I'd actually be OK if the cruise is full, because it means people are still willing to cruise and that the restrictive policies (like the denied boarding for diabetics and such) will have been lifted.  It is also the path back to full profitability for RCL and hopefully won't delay some of their expansion plans.  

Just a thought.

I couldn't figure out how to get a comparable cruise with the 125% FCC since the prices have increased.  I just decided to take the refund instead.   

I was thinking about the fact prices are jumping up for 2021 and '22, and I'm honestly trying to figure out if this is because (a) despite all the bad press against the cruise industry, there are still a ton of people who are sold on cruising and immediately rebooked for next year and beyond, causing the spike as supply rapidly dwindles; or (b) Royal is not fully thinking this through long-term and is trying to get a short-term financial shot in the arm to offset the losses hammering them right now.

I'm guessing that it's more A than B, though still a mix, and certainly hope that's the case. Every cruise line has a big black eye after this, even if they've done nothing to warrant it up to this point, simply because the media has decided to dog-pile on the industry as a whole and continue to refer to ships as petri dishes and floating incubators and the like. I seem to recall statements here and quoted from quarterly financial calls noting the high percentage of first-time cruisers that make up Royal's annual booking numbers each year; if they expect to continue to draw in new cruisers and grow their customer base, they can't go and do things like spike prices at a time when people may be looking nervously at whether they should book or not. Thinking of this image that my wife sent me a few days ago:

87485869_3297883966906934_5089084290646409216_o.thumb.jpg.c7dad504a9c2a1fcb409b9e1c48307cc.jpg

I definitely notice prices have gone up as I keep trying to upgrade my Liberty sailing in Oct. But I am wondering if it has nothing to do COVID 19 and everything to do with ship amps. I have been stalking RCCI for years and prices of cruises have increased after every amp across most ships. They go down the closer it gets to sailing for some but there always seem to be a spike. Even before the cruise industry hit hard times my Liberty sailing has been almost double what I paid for during black Friday.

I doubt RCCI plans to gouge consumers because they want people to cruise. I am sure they will offer some great deals to get repeat and new customers aboard.

Cruising is about disposable income and it used to be just for the rich. Since we are in a time where the middle class has more money than anytime historically the cruising industry has answered the call and has developed huge ships to meet the need. RCI is a for profit company with publicly traded stock and has to answer to stock holders.

This time is a historic period in our lives and they have to figure out a way to stay profitable. As I look above and read the posts I don’t understand the conversations about price increases and being upset. RCI and other cruise  companies have to figure out a way to make money and so there is no choice but to raise prices to make up for lost revenue.  The only way to counteract that is don’t cruise and they will have to lower the price to entice people to return to cruising. It is about supply and demand...it’s about the elastic part of the economy. As a product is demanded beyond its ability to supply the price increases. When demand exceeds existing stock they build more ships. That’s why we have Oasis class ships. There was a demand so they built them and they have to price the voyage to make a profit.

I have no problem with the pricing structures and it seems to me RCI is operating as they should. If cruising returns to normal the Allure of the Seas will get upgraded. That’s capitalism at its best.

Cruise fares have always been governed by supply and demand principles.  At the end of the day the market decides the price but that doesn't happen instantly.  There is no standard price for a cruise.  

If cruise fares are published too high fewer people will book.  It's that simple.

If we examine the theory that they are artificially increasing prices to cover losses the risk they take is fewer bookings.  This causes a drop in short term revenue with fewer deposits coming in.  One thing they need right now is cash flow so if they did raise prices to "make up for it" they run the risk of seriously reducing the cash flow they need to help them weather through this.

In the end the market determines the price.  If the fares are too high people won't book, period.  Cruises are a luxury vacation item, not an essential form of transportation like buying a car.  There is no guaranteed booking, people will book when it makes sense for them to do so individually.

Royal can sleep about 80,000 guests every night currently.  Over the 30 day cancellation there are 2.4 million people "sleep nights" that are being missed.  Some of those will take the refund option, some will take the 125% FCC option.  Many are now rebooking future cruises.

53 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I predict that FCC will be worth about 50% once people are ready to rebook and prices are jacked....sucks!

Not sure why you think prices will go up. Even if coronavirus ended tomorrow, the cruise industry is going need quite a lot of time to recover to get back to old booking numbers.

My June 2020 and August 2020 sailings have dropped in price, while the cruise planner offerings have rocketed up. I just booked a cabin for Thanksgiving on a previous sold out category on the Odyssey, the category is sold out again and these prices seem to be holding, but cruise planner offerings went up since I booked. My Allure 2021 in August remains the same price BUT Sharla at MEI was able to allocate 300.00 OBC. 

We LOVE to sail, came over as platinum from DCL and were astonished at the amazing experience on RCCL. I personally can not fathom lovers of cruising not returning.

I love holding hands with my best friend of 30 years looking out into the ocean, with the breeze and a libation in the other hand. Counting our blessings and being oh so thankful for our incredible lives.

This too shall pass, wishing everyone here positive karma, good vibes, amazing health and many happy future sailings to come.......Just please; wash your hands.

ocean sunset GIF by Living Stills

An avid cruiser here. Wife and I were cancelled out of our Australian B2B 3/27 and 4/7. Thankfully we had enough time to realize things were going down hill and we had a refundable air ticket. Was originally going to take the 125% credits for both cruises or at least one for refund and the other as a credit. Looked ahead to see available bookings for 2020/2021. "Sticker shock" at seeing the prices for cruises to the Caribbean even in off season of September/November 2020 and 2021. Way higher especially for ocean view balconies. Soooo... have just sent in form for 100% refund for each cruise. Just priced out All Inclusive(4* resort) to Cancun/Playa de Carmen area, air included for under $2000. Sorry Royal, but Diamond + or not, we will be off to Mexico. A dollar is only going so far these days!! Back to shopping for the best value vacation deals. Never thought I would give up a cruise! " Bless me Father for I have sinned'.?