Royal Caribbean Suspends all US Operations

A no win situation for everyone.  Shut it all down, slow the virus and "flatten the curve", and make it manageable and everyone will be bitching that it wasn't that bad and why'd we go to such extreme measures.  Keep everything operating and have this thing rip thru the country taxing our health care system and everyone will bitch about not shutting everything down. 

I'd be curios to know how many cancellations they've had.  Probably cheaper having these ships going no where with skeleton crews than sail at the occupancy levels they might have been seeing.

Just now, Ampurp85 said:

Wow I never expected things to get this far. I guess since there is talk of a certain amount of government bailout it is easier to suspend operations than to garner any negative press.

I did notice a couple articles saying people felt forced to go because they were not getting refunds so the bad press was starting.

5 minutes ago, mark52479 said:

There is such a big debate going on about this.  

I am curious too what they will give back now.

My SO and I would be fine using the credit but the 3 family members going with us would have been first timers and may not share a cabin if they rebook. It would just be easier if their money was returned.

@Christine 67  I don't really consider that bad press. The cruise contract basically tells you that there are associated risk and what would constitute as reasons to get money book or not. A national emergency had not been declared where it was said to be good practice NOT to travel. I meant bad press as in people actually getting COVID-19 on a RCCI ship.

I am more worried about how much higher fares will be after this pandemic. I was planning to update my balconies to suites for the double C&A points. The difference between the two staterooms is already more than $1000. I have 2 cruises scheduled for Oct/Nov and I am now worried that the ban may still be in affect and my 80 y/o grandmother may not be able to go.

Just confirmed with customer service that our sailing on vision of the seas scheduled to depart San Juan tomorrow is included in this. We arrived in San Juan yesterday. Currently changing our flights to return home tomorrow instead.

Any thoughts on whether crown and anchor points will still be awarded for cancelled cruises? 

13 minutes ago, elizbit said:

Any thoughts on whether crown and anchor points will still be awarded for cancelled cruises? 

No, I really have no idea if you will get any C&A points or not.  I can tell you that for our shortened Feb Anthem cruise, we received all of the original 8 cruise points rather than the 5 points, which was the number of nights we actually cruised.  But we actually sailed, where you will not.  Truthfully, I’m thinking that you will not get any points for a cruise that never happened.

3 hours ago, Rene Desmarais said:

Well crossing my fingers for my Sailing on Oasis May 3rd will be a go

Rene, every time I see your name I take extra note as I am on this same sailing! I just booked a 4-night on Oasis for November today (refundable) just in case we get the boot too. Now I've beat those 5,000+ people to the next available 4 night Oasis! 

On 3/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, Ampurp85 said:

I am more worried about how much higher fares will be after this pandemic. I was planning to update my balconies to suites for the double C&A points. The difference between the two staterooms is already more than $1000. I have 2 cruises scheduled for Oct/Nov and I am now worried that the ban may still be in affect and my 80 y/o grandmother may not be able to go.

I think the industry will be focused on recapturing guests who may choose other forms of vacationing after this nightmare is over. Supply and demand will keep cruise fares at a reasonable level.