Canada bans cruise ships till July

50 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Also the Canada/New England early sailings (Royal has 11 through the end of June). 

47 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

I wonder what are they going to do in regards to the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) of 1886. All ships need an international port in their schedules.

Those at least could possibly be converted to a Bermuda / NE (Boston / Portland, ME / Bar Harbor, ME) kind of itinerary or something, at least. Assuming that Bermuda is OK with having the ships come in and doesn't also say, "No passenger ships allowed, thanks." But if they did, that might bump up against Celebrity's similar Bermuda / Newport itinerary and similar from other lines.

This is starting to irritate me, as my Alaska cruise/tour scheduled for 29 May 20, in 87 days, falls into the closed schedule date. RCL said as or right now it’s still a go...hopefully this passes sooner than later and opens prior to our departure.  

I think it was stupid move to announce closure till July 1st, it would have been smarter to say until 1 May 2020 pending reevaluation of current cases and virus status.

I...

Well, there goes my much-needed cruise in June. Now, I guess I just wait for guidance from Royal.

I'm holding out hope that maybe they'll just change the itinerary to cruise the St. Lawrence and back -- because nothing against our New England port visits, but they weren't exactly why I booked the itinerary...

Just now, 711Dave said:

Did I miss something?  I though it was a 30 day shutdown starting at midnight tonight and ending about 13 April.

Two different issues.  Royal is suspending US sailings for 30 days.  The Canadian government is banning all ships over 500 passengers from docking until July 1 (which impacts all cruise lines, including Royal, even after 30 days).

33 minutes ago, CowboyMedic said:

WHAT?!?!?! This day officially sucks.

Yes. Yes, it does. I was originally planning on sailing on Grandeur to New England/Canada on May 14, but I cancelled that last Saturday in favor of a carbon-copy itinerary out of Cape Liberty on Adventure a few weeks later in June. So now, I await whatever odd combination of cash/FCC I'll end up for both of them.

At this point, no changed itinerary could get me to keep the cruise booked. Without the Canadian ports, the cruise is kinda a wash for me, even though yes, it'd still be a cruise.

14 hours ago, CowboyMedic said:

WHAT?!?!?! This day officially sucks. We have a 14 Night B2B on Grandeur in early June to Bermuda/Canada and New England.

We've got a 7 day cruise from Vancouver in June. ... Or had. I don't know if Royal will be able to salvage anything unless the US waives the Jones act. 

Same here - we were sailing 5/15. I'm less concerned about the cruise since the  credit is good til 12/31/2021 and we could just do next May. Where I may get burnt is on airfare. I have $3K in airfare invested with American Airlines on 4 tickets (wife and I and 2 kids). Right now they are giving free changes but you must start trip  by 12/31/2020 and I think it will be 4 tickets so I don't get a $3K lump to use how I want.

SO, what does one do with (4) $750 airfares and $6k in FCC?

As for FCC - do I get a lump? Or is it by cruiser like the airfare?

Funny thing is, 28 years ago my house was being foreclosed on. Now I'm in a situation where I need to figure out how to use $9K in vacation cash. I am truly blessed!

I truly feel like a heel asking this during sicce trying times but at least its a distraction....

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Your FCC will be issued and broken down by guest and can only be applied for that specific guest that it is issued to. 

Thanks! Will help with planning. Since my wife works in a school and the two kids are in college we'll be looking at something in December since American Airlines current offer is free change but fly by 12/31. We're in Philly and airfare now to San Juan is a little less than what we were paying to go to Vancouver and back from Anchorage. Will have to get @michelle to look for Southern Caribbean perhaps!

12 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

I have $3K in airfare invested with American Airlines on 4 tickets

I feel that. We had $2,400 in non refundable airfare with AA for our June cruise out of Seattle. Then they cancelled the original flights a few weeks ago and put us on some crappy redeye where tickets were nearly 50% less. So I push and got a full refund for the non refundable tickets in the mist of all the confusion and free change/cancel period. I figure if the cruise does go ahead and we actually go, it should be easy to snap up some cheap tickets.

Right now I doubt we are going anywhere. The tickets I paid for are currently $1,300 less and I am just waiting for them to cancel so we can get a refund instead of FCC.

Travel insurance also sent something out allowing you to cancel the travel insurance for full refund. 

11 minutes ago, Scrumps said:

So I push and got a full refund for the non refundable tickets

Just to clarify - you got a refund from American Airlines? That would be great! AND would allow us to just move Alaska back to next May or June!

2 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

Just to clarify - you got a refund from American Airlines? That would be great! AND would allow us to just move Alaska back to next May or June!

In situations when an airline cancels a flight they typically offer an alternate flight or a full refund.  If AA cancels your flights a refund should be an option.  If they don't cancel, travel waiver rules may apply or standard cancellations fees may apply.

Even in cases where the airline cancels and rebooks you on other flights, they rarely give a refund for non refundable tickets. At best, they will put the funds into a some thing like FCC. I kept telling them that the new flights were bad and none of the ones available were acceptable. In the mist of them being slammed, somehow they got cancelled and provided me with a link to request a refund. I had to enter a reason and I received the refund just a few days later.

24 minutes ago, Scrumps said:

Even in cases where the airline cancels and rebooks you on other flights, they rarely give a refund for non refundable tickets. At best, they will put the funds into a some thing like FCC. I kept telling them that the new flights were bad and none of the ones available were acceptable. In the mist of them being slammed, somehow they got cancelled and provided me with a link to request a refund. I had to enter a reason and I received the refund just a few days later.

That's the problem with AA.  Try another airline.  

18 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Delta Airlines also does the FCC or eCredit as they call it and not a refund.

I loved the way that Delta handled our whole mess last week.  Both my parents (who cancelled their Panama Canal cruise) and I booked through them and could not be happier.  

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I loved the way that Delta handled our whole mess last week.  Both my parents (who cancelled their Panama Canal cruise) and I booked through them and could not be happier.  

Could you elaborate?  Did they do something above and beyond?  Refund or credit? Etc.?

1 minute ago, vanelli56 said:

Could you elaborate?  Did they do something above and beyond?  Refund or credit? Etc.?

No refunds.  But I did not get a run around from them, zero nonsense.  They let us re-book another flight that was less than the one we lost.  And the remainder of the money can be used at any time, no questions asked.  I just really appreciated that compared to some of the run around things I have heard from some other companies.

It was very easy to change my flight on the United app......However I am still trying to figure out what to do with my Air Allegiant flight as they do not offer refunds......credits only and we have nothing planned or booked in the next year that works with their flight routes/schedules.

You know, I'm honestly a bit concerned that even if this restriction is lifted on July 1, Canadians are not exactly going to be welcoming of visitors from other lands. I posted on Facebook that I was sad that I wouldn't be able to visit Canada at the moment because of the restrictions, but I was looking forward to doing so in the future (via a cruise of some form), and I was nearly tarred and feathered, at least virtually. ?

35 minutes ago, Chadster said:

I posted on Facebook that I was sad that I wouldn't be able to visit Canada at the moment because of the restrictions, but I was looking forward to doing so in the future (via a cruise of some form), and I was nearly tarred and feathered, at least virtually. ?

Maybe those people weren’t Canadian. Hardly a warm and friendly response. ?

1 hour ago, Chadster said:

You know, I'm honestly a bit concerned that even if this restriction is lifted on July 1, Canadians are not exactly going to be welcoming of visitors from other lands. I posted on Facebook that I was sad that I wouldn't be able to visit Canada at the moment because of the restrictions, but I was looking forward to doing so in the future (via a cruise of some form), and I was nearly tarred and feathered, at least virtually. ?

Well as a Canadian I hope to be joined by many Americans (and other world travellers!) sailing from Vancouver on Serenade August 30!! 

Clearly both the US and Canada are going to need tourist dollars when this is over. The negative commenters are being impractical. We welcome you once the borders open! 

I'm annoyed that RC is still advertising Canadian itineraries as "Canadian Itineraries" prior to July 1st in the Find a Cruise section.  There's no mention there about those ports being closed until then.  You have to find info like that in their Travel Restrictions area, or be on a website like this to know that.  I realize they still want to fill the ships, but wouldn't you think they'd put a little asterisk or something in the booking section explaining what their plans are for ports they already know are going to be closed?

12 minutes ago, Brobbins246 said:

I'm annoyed that RC is still advertising Canadian itineraries as "Canadian Itineraries" prior to July 1st in the Find a Cruise section.  There's no mention there about those ports being closed until then.  You have to find info like that in their Travel Restrictions area, or be on a website like this to know that.  I realize they still want to fill the ships, but wouldn't you think they'd put a little asterisk or something in the booking section explaining what their plans are for ports they already know are going to be closed?

You would think. Celebrity has several similar itineraries that are already being shown as having their ports changed to Nassau or Bermuda.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article about airlines and refunds.  They are required to offer refunds but are trying to find ways around the rules in many countries and requesting changes to refund rules.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/07/829091394/airlines-want-to-cancel-rule-requiring-them-to-refund-fares-for-canceled-flights