Age 70 or Greater Need A Form

rcdave

Okay, so I am over 70 and now RC, along with other cruise lines, say I need a note from my doctor before I can get on their ship; really?

So, at a time when the medical offices are being inundated with calls and office visits you want me to walk into the office with your form and have a doctor sign it. I thought the CDC was recommending that you not visit your doctor’s office unless it was absolutely necessary.  Also, is a doctor going to expose themselves to possible legal action by signing the form without doing a very thorough exam of the person at the time of presenting it?  

After briefly reading through the document at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554776/  it appears (in this study) that 15% of the fatal Covid-19 cases were in the > 79 and 8% of the fatal cases were in the 70-79 age groups.  Kind of makes me wonder what age groups made up the other 77% of fatal cases. It looks like the only age group you want on the ship is 9 and under, need additional water slides.

Oh, temperature is not a very reliable indicator of the severity or existence of the Covid-19 virus infection within an individual.

In my opinion if cruise lines need to resort to using age related medical qualifications in order to board their ships then they should cancel all cruises until the Covid-19 event is under control.

24 minutes ago, rcdave said:

need a note from my doctor before I can get on their ship

You can download the form on this page: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates. It is in subparagraph "a" under the CORONOVIRIS (COVID-19) HEALTH PROTOCOLS  heading. And I agree with you regarding the busy doctors at this time. :27_sunglasses:

56 minutes ago, rcdave said:

Also, is a doctor going to expose themselves to possible legal action by signing the form without doing a very thorough exam of the person at the time of presenting it?  

This is probably why RC is doing this! It's almost certain that if an elderly person went on a cruise and contracted Covid -19 the family of those concerned would be taking legal action against RC for allowing them on the ship knowing there was a chance they could get it.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

This is probably why RC is doing this! It's almost certain that if an elderly person went on a cruise and contracted Covid -19 the family of those concerned would be taking legal action against RC for allowing them on the ship knowing there was a chance they could get it.

I might be wrong but I thought any age group can contract Covid-19 However older folks have a higher mortality rate. So everyone has a chance they could get it

1 hour ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I might be wrong but I thought any age group can contract Covid-19 However older folks have a higher mortality rate. So everyone has a chance they could get it

True, anyone can catch it and for the young and healthy, it most likely won't affect them.  The problem is the young people would just end up spreading it to the older people.