Canada bans cruise ships till July from its ports

Just announced.....any ships with over 500 people on board will be banned from docking anywhere in Canada till July.

Not sure how many Royal cruises will be affected.

Just business as normal...nothing to worry about , complain or think there is anything going that will affect the cruise industry with  COVID-10 eh?!:34_rolling_eyes: 

28 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Just announced.....any ships with over 500 people on board will be banned from docking anywhere in Canada till July.

Just business as normal...nothing to worry about , complain or think there is anything going that will affect the cruise industry with  COVID-10 eh?!:34_rolling_eyes: 

Yeah does that include Vancouver because I tried googling it and it said they were still open but Halifax was closed so I was very confused

20 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Well, isn't that a problem for all Alaskan cruises? They either start in Vancouver, end in Vancouver, or have to visit Victoria.

Dear Valued Guest,

We are writing to provide you an update to the itinerary for your XXX of the Seas cruise to Alaska.

Your departure port has changed from Vancouver to Galveston and the cruise will now make stops at the ports of Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

Just now, HeWhoWaits said:

Dear Valued Guest,

We are writing to provide you an update to the itinerary for your XXX of the Seas cruise to Alaska.

Your departure port has changed from Vancouver to Galveston and the cruise will now make stops at the ports of Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan.

Sincerely,

Aurora Year-Rodriguez

You actually just received that? or are you anticipating what it will look like?

43 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

This was definitely the right call, the end date is July 1st from what the Minister tweeted earlier. 

Here is the deployment schedule for 2020-2021, waaaay too many cruises to list.

With the Canada and Alaska news I do wonder what cruise lines will do now.. Will they close? Who knows. All I know is all the uncertainty is giving me so much anxiety. I wish it would just end.. I know Covid-19 is serious but currently all the anxiety and stress from the unknown is worse for me than the actual disease.. 

Just now, AGSLC5 said:

With the Canada and Alaska news I do wonder what cruise lines will do now.. Will they close? Who knows. All I know is all the uncertainty is giving me so much anxiety. I wish it would just end.. I know Covid-19 is serious but currently all the anxiety and stress from the unknown is worse for me than the actual disease.. 

This is probably going to be an extremely unpopular opinion, and I really love this cruise line, but Royal needs to start suspending operations ASAP for the health and safety of their passengers. Human life is more important than cruising.

2 minutes ago, accio7 said:

This is probably going to be an extremely unpopular opinion, and I really love this cruise line, but Royal needs to start suspending operations ASAP for the health and safety of their passengers. Human life is more important than cruising.

I just wish they would make a decision one way or the other.. All the uncertainty is driving me crazy. 

3 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Imagine being a business owner in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, etc.  This is really going to hurt.

Just now, AGSLC5 said:

I just wish they would make a decision one way or the other.. All the uncertainty is driving me crazy. 

Oh totally, dude, I feel for those people booked on a cruise within the next couple of months.

On an unrelated note, my family has now cancelled their trip to Japan in May, better to be safe than sorry. 

51 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

I agree. When I price check my cruises, I just get depressed. Like knowing in the back of my head at least the one in May will most likely be canceled. Then I try suppress a why bother attitude while looking at the cruises I have in November and January. ?

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Imagine being a business owner in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, etc.  This is really going to hurt.

While I am not discounting the economic impact there are some other things to consider.  Imagine being the local health care center Dahl in Skagway.  Since the local population is near 1000, the numbers work out easily.  If the percentages hold, it would mean that 600 town members become ill with the virus, and 200 would need to be hospitalized, not to mention how many would need intensive care.  Dahl would not be able to handle the patient volume.  And most would have to be transported out.  

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

You know, the more things like this I see, the happier I am that I booked a cruise that departs in August for Canada (and Greenland, Iceland, and Ireland). ?

Ugh...if only all this FCC I'm going to end up with could be used with Celebrity! I cancelled my cruise in May and rescheduled for June, and now I'm guessing that one's cancelled, too.

I might see if I can take refund penalties and just get the cash back on my card; if so, I might be joining you!

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

Ugh...if only all this FCC I'm going to end up with could be used with Celebrity! I cancelled my cruise in May and rescheduled for June, and now I'm guessing that one's cancelled, too.

I might see if I can take refund penalties and just get the cash back on my card; if so, I might be joining you!

The prices on that cruise were skyrocketing before all this stuff hit the fan. It's not selling any cheaper with the pandemic hitting things, and I expect that as people look for sailings outside of the shutdown window it'll only get worse. Current pricing on an inside (and there are only a couple left) is $1,900 pp NRD with no perks. OV cabins (again just a couple left) are more like $2,800 pp NRD with no perks.

EDIT: Here’s a screen shot of the current NRD, no perk rates for this sailing. The ship is almost fully booked, so some classes are inflated due to minimum category availability. E.g., the only Verandah left is an aft family balcony cabin on deck 8 that sleeps 6.

11CC28EF-C5F6-4DBA-9C4B-51FF7B38350A.thumb.jpeg.e523208bf08a4a611b9342f8073d4552.jpeg