Diabetics not allowed on cruise

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Unfortunately, the CDC website doesn't have a definition of what qualifies as a "chronic lung disease," let alone anything that makes it clear what is "severe."

That is why I am so confused, what qualifies as severe. I have asthama. It has never stopped me from doing or trying things. I have kayaked, moution climed, ran a 5k, and skied. All those activites are not advised for people with asthma, so I dont think a cruise will stop me.  Hell, I joined the military at 18 (lied of course about it), but served my country proudly with no issures. I am at risk every flu season, so I wash my hands, cover my mouth, and go on about my day.

9 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Well, lying about having a chronic disease only affects the person with the chronic disease.  But with Canada closing ports to all ships over 500 people through July 1,  other cruise lines shutting down, and ports closing other places, I don't see how much longer Royal can hold out.

They could hold out until About April when boats move to Alaska then I only see them being able to do Caribbean and Bermuda cruises.. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 6:57 AM, sabarwolf said:

Somehow, this sounds very fishy to me. While being diabetic is something that needs to be attended to, and cruise lines likely are sensitive to it, I very much doubt it to be a reason for denial of passage on a cruise ship.

According to RCCL,

Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

9 hours ago, AgentBeth said:

According to RCCL,

Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Carnival began the same restrictions on March 13 and then immediately turned away people with existing chronic conditions who were trying to board the Fantasy on the March 13 sailing out of Mobile, AL. 

“It’s just sad because there’s nothing we can do about it,” said Ashley Maynor, who was one of many who were told they couldn’t board the ship due to underlying health issues.

Maynor says she and her group came from Illinois to cruise out of Mobile, she says they weren’t told they couldn’t board because of the underlying health issue until 9:30 p.m. and weren’t given a hotel room until at least 7 hours later. She had six people in her group, four didn’t get on the ship, two did. She says those two tried to get off the ship, but couldn’t because of long lines at the guest services desks.

“We did typical protocol, got our luggage out, went through security, everything was good to go. Come to find out that they tagged 80 passengers on the boat and they knew from this morning or yesterday morning that those passengers were not going to be allowed to board,” said Maynor.

https://www.wkrg.com/mobile-county/carnival-passengers-say-they-were-denied-boarding-due-to-existing-conditions/

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

One member of our party is leaving on a 2 year service mission for church and will not be able to use his credit.  Not making this transferable even within the family is ridiculous.

Common Questions that have arrived from this post: 

I gave this information to RCCL.  My father is over 70 and a doctor's note would have mentioned his health issues.  Regarding my son, on previous cruises, giving that information helped the cruise line be prepared for meeting his needs.   Personally, I think travelers being dishonest in these matters is a central problem with the cruise industry gaining the public's trust going forward.  

In my first contact with RCCL I was told I would receive a refund.  That story changed when the travel agent called RCCL.  I don't think everyone is on the same page just yet.  We are okay with the credit, but the non-transferable policy with an senior citizen that currently is banned from boarding does not sit right with me.  That policy is very unfriendly.

1 hour ago, Douglas said:

I was just informed my son, type 1, and my father, who has a heart issue, would not be allowed on board  (June 20th, 2020 sailing date) per CDC restrictions.  We were issued a 125% credit with RCCL.  According to travel agent, this credit is non-transferable, even in the event my father passes before they lift the restriction.  i was a big RCCL fan right up until today.  I understand their policy to not let them on the ship, but I do not agree with their policy on the refund.  It is like getting credit to a store but you are not allowed to shop there.

I doubt they'll be sailing by June 20th. Nobody really knows for sure if people with pre-existing conditions will, or will not, be allowed on board when cruises do start up again.

1 hour ago, Douglas said:

This doesn't seem to align with their published restrictions, which were put in place on March 13. At that time, RCL said that anyone denied boarding would receive a full refund. Also, where did RCL get this information? Since there is no firm policy regarding such restrictions extending to June 20, it seems this may not be correct on the part of your agent. Could this have been a credit issued for a sailing that is already cancelled beyond 6/11? Such as one involving a Canadian port?

4 hours ago, Douglas said:

How did Royal even know about these health conditions? Don’t Hipa rules exsist?

• 1 year later...

It all has to do with the fact that the company doesn't want to take responsibility because something could happen to a sick person. Especially now, when tourism has suffered the most and money is very scarce. You can understand them. But then I also agree that there are millions of people with diabetes, hypertension, and other things. Does that mean millions of people can't go on a cruise vacation? My grandma has hypertension, and this summer, I wanted to go on a cruise with my whole family and her. Her doctor from this clinic, melbournefunctionalmedicine.com.au, said it was safe to go, but the company just turned us down. It was very frustrating for all of us because it was my grandma's dream. I will take her on vacation, and no one will stop me.

52 minutes ago, goodionik said:

It all has to do with the fact that the company doesn't want to take responsibility because something could happen to a sick person. Especially now, when tourism has suffered the most and money is very scarce. You can understand them. But then I also agree that there are millions of people with diabetes, hypertension, and other things.

In my best SpongeBob narrator voice:
image.png.1c29edbaf82cb60bf6dd37eccd809868.png

On 3/13/2020 at 9:09 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m still skeptical of how they would even know. The form that they cite is for persons over 70...there is no way that they are going to require a signed doctors note from EVERY passenger.  If you are under 70 and have borderline Type II diabetes, how would they ever confirm that ?  If they are counting on people being honest....I have a bridge for sale.

I'm not following? Why is this outlandish? We see exactly this happening before our eyes? Did you ever think you'd need a negative test or vaccination papers to board a cruise? Yet this is happening in real time right now. Forget the Doctor's note we need cards with dates, vaccination lot numbers, and signatures. The burden of proof for every passenger as left the doctor's note far behind. Show your papers please! 

While I agree that the OP is fishy at best I don't see why everybody is having such a hard time believing this can happen or revealing all medical records before a cruise vacation isn't in the future. As pointed out by multiple responses the language, at least, was once very much written in RCCL policy. 

For those saying "NO WAY", it can't happen, well it can, and it is. Right now.  It's precisely what the majority of posters here are asking for in thread after thread in terms of forcing their fellow royal Caribbean blog community members/family to be vaccinated, and show proof there of, to have as "normal" of a cruise as possible these days.

This is just the start, which is why the lines including our beloved RCCL should not have dealt with attempting to appease the impossible standards placed on them by big pharma tainted bureaucracies. 

13 minutes ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

I'm not following? Why is this outlandish? We see exactly this happening before our eyes? Did you ever think you'd need a negative test or vaccination papers to board a cruise? Yet this is happening in real time right now. Forget the Doctor's note we need cards with dates, vaccination lot numbers, and signatures. The burden of proof for every passenger as left the doctor's note far behind. Show your papers please! 

While I agree that the OP is fishy at best I don't see why everybody is having such a hard time believing this can happen or revealing all medical records before a cruise vacation isn't in the future. As pointed out by multiple responses the language, at least, was once very much written in RCCL policy. 

For those saying "NO WAY", it can't happen, well it can, and it is. Right now.  It's precisely what the majority of posters here are asking for in thread after thread in terms of forcing their fellow royal Caribbean blog community members/family to be vaccinated, and show proof there of, to have as "normal" of a cruise as possible these days.

This is just the start, which is why the lines including our beloved RCCL should not have dealt with attempting to appease the impossible standards placed on them by big pharma tainted bureaucracies. 

So true !  How things have changed in the past 1 1/2 years !!

@CruiseRoyalDad So very well said. As a loyal RC cruiser who also misses cruising very much, RC no longer welcomes me on their ships  because I don't have the proper papers. I have perused this blog for a while, reading time and time again posters saying "just let me on a ship", "I'll do anything to cruise again" and then are shocked at some change in protocol which, ultimately, they justify and go along with... 

Don't be surprised when the chronic conditions that cruisers have (diabetes, heart condition, COPD, etc) are the next one's that, like me, will be ineligible for cruising. And don't be surprised when your fellow blog members don't give a darn that it's happening.

17 hours ago, fireclan said:

@CruiseRoyalDad So very well said. As a loyal RC cruiser who also misses cruising very much, RC no longer welcomes me on their ships  because I don't have the proper papers. I have perused this blog for a while, reading time and time again posters saying "just let me on a ship", "I'll do anything to cruise again" and then are shocked at some change in protocol which, ultimately, they justify and go along with... 

Don't be surprised when the chronic conditions that cruisers have (diabetes, heart condition, COPD, etc) are the next one's that, like me, will be ineligible for cruising. And don't be surprised when your fellow blog members don't give a darn that it's happening.

When you give a mouse a cookie it wants a glass of milk....Its already started and unfortunately its probably to late to go back, especially when people have no clue what's going on. 

Is this policy still being enforced?  I am a type 1 "Brittle" Diabetic on an Insulin pump and thus far have infected no one with my Chronic Illness.  I also understand that it places me in the "High Risk" category for Covid.  I am willing to take that risk to be able to cruise once again. Since no one else is at risk because of my condition I would be willing to state my current medical condition even though it is information covered by HIPPA to clear them of any liability. I do not understand the reason to refuse boarding because of a "Diabetic" condition.  I hope that this is no longer the case or I will be instantly CURED of Diabetes.

20 minutes ago, BigKarl said:

Is this policy still being enforced?

As far as I can tell, this policy only temporarily appeared in some documentation AFTER the global shutdown (and back when people thought it would last a few weeks and they might need some extra policies while restarting).  It has not been reported since then.  Somebody replied to the year+ old thread so people are reading about it like it is current news.

26 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Somebody replied to the year+ old thread so people are reading about it like it is current news.

I like to refer to these as "zombie threads". They appear, go dormant for a year or more, and then someone (usually a new member, sorry pre-golds, just an observation) raises it from the dead.