Diabetics not allowed on cruise

After checking our bags in about 10:30 we went for a walk around the rocks came back to the terminal lined up and filled out our medical forms. After lining up we were checked at the first check in gate, the gentlemen read our medical papers checked for our sea pass and id’s. said all good and sent us along. 

We then went up to the gates and were checked again to be told we had to go to see someone else. Once seen we were told we couldn’t go on the cruise because my wife is a diabetic. After the shock of that we were then told it was going to take up to four hours to retrieve our language.  (took 4hours and 45minutes)

The quest relations manager was no help and refused to give direct answers. Originally said they’d pay for accommodation then reneged on that. He was told and shown there were others already on the ship and didn’t seem to care. No compassion what so ever.

we are not very happy coming all the way here to find out we are not on the cruise, that aside we could probably live with. BUT, why weren’t we stopped or asked at luggage drop off about any medical problems so we didn’t check our bags and had to wait nearly 5 hours to collect our bags rubbing more salt into the wound.  No offers of water/food or any understanding or compassion at all. Disgraceful performance !  Shame Shame Shame.  

1 hour ago, benfalconer said:

After checking our bags in about 10:30 we went for a walk around the rocks came back to the terminal lined up and filled out our medical forms. After lining up we were checked at the first check in gate, the gentlemen read our medical papers checked for our sea pass and id’s. said all good and sent us along. 

We then went up to the gates and were checked again to be told we had to go to see someone else. Once seen we were told we couldn’t go on the cruise because my wife is a diabetic. After the shock of that we were then told it was going to take up to four hours to retrieve our language.  (took 4hours and 45minutes)

The quest relations manager was no help and refused to give direct answers. Originally said they’d pay for accommodation then reneged on that. He was told and shown there were others already on the ship and didn’t seem to care. No compassion what so ever.

we are not very happy coming all the way here to find out we are not on the cruise, that aside we could probably live with. BUT, why weren’t we stopped or asked at luggage drop off about any medical problems so we didn’t check our bags and had to wait nearly 5 hours to collect our bags rubbing more salt into the wound.  No offers of water/food or any understanding or compassion at all. Disgraceful performance !  Shame Shame Shame.  

That is very frustrating and disappointing.  Policy changes need to be communicated up front, and they should be handled with sensitivity.

FAKE POST

From the RCL policy:

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16:

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

7 minutes ago, Gears said:

FAKE POST

From the RCL policy:

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions.  Therefore, effective Monday, March 16:

a.  Boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.

Because Royal employees always follow the policies correctly? I'm not saying this happened, but I can definitely see that it might have.

9 minutes ago, SnickerTail said:

Because Royal employees always follow the policies correctly? I'm not saying this happened, but I can definitely see that it might have.

"... we went for a walk around the rocks came back to the terminal..." Ahhhh....no. You don't get to wander around...unless someone has never been on a cruise and thinks you can. Fake post.

4 minutes ago, Gears said:

"... we went for a walk around the rocks came back to the terminal..." Ahhhh....no. You don't get to wander around...unless someone has never been on a cruise and thinks you can. Fake post.

Gotcha, I've only cruised out of two ports, so I don't know how it works everywhere. I thought you were focused on the effective date of the policy.

Just now, SnickerTail said:

Gotcha, I've only cruised out of two ports, so I don't know how it works everywhere. I thought you were focused on the effective date of the policy.

It doesn't work like that...anywhere. Been cruising for almost 20 years...

I’m still skeptical of how they would even know. The form that they cite is for persons over 70...there is no way that they are going to require a signed doctors note from EVERY passenger.  If you are under 70 and have borderline Type II diabetes, how would they ever confirm that ?  If they are counting on people being honest....I have a bridge for sale.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m still skeptical of how they would even know. The form that they cite is for persons over 70...there is no way that they are going to require a signed doctors note from EVERY passenger.  If you are under 70 and have borderline Type II diabetes, how would they ever confirm that.  If they are counting on people being honest....I have a bridge for sale.

Exactly!!

56 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m still skeptical of how they would even know. The form that they cite is for persons over 70...there is no way that they are going to require a signed doctors note from EVERY passenger.  If you are under 70 and have borderline Type II diabetes, how would they ever confirm that.  If they are counting on people being honest....I have a bridge for sale.

Exactly - are they going to add an additional form or questions during check in? Are they simply going to ask each person if they have any of these conditions? While I agree that if I'm sick with a transmissible, infectious, disease, I should not cruise because it would affect others.  If I had some other chronic affliction, it does not, so it's on me if I want to cruise.

Honestly I believe they don't really expect that people will answer honestly, and it's just something their legal team came up with to give them some coverage (Hey, we asked and we weren't going to let them board. They lied, so it's on them).  Either way it won't affect the fellow cruisers.

52 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Honestly I believe they don't really expect that people will answer honestly, and it's just something their legal team came up with to give them some coverage (Hey, we asked and we weren't going to let them board. They lied, so it's on them).  Either way it won't affect the fellow cruisers.

Bingo!!  This is the answer, I'm sure.  It's a CYA thing.

Just now, Mljstr said:

Read the RCCL website. It is a new policy. 

A new policy that doesn't go into effect until Monday. So this either shouldn't happen or didn't happen (and considering it's a new user who hasn't come back to reply and maybe never will, I suspect it's a made up story by someone who read the policy and decided to make waves).

12 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

A new policy that doesn't go into effect until Monday. So this either shouldn't happen or didn't happen (and considering it's a new user who hasn't come back to reply and maybe never will, I suspect it's a made up story by someone who read the policy and decided to make waves).

I didn't catch the date, I was focused on the intent of the post.  But to answer some who say how will they know? The notice clearly states,  if you are over 70, you will go through a special screening and you will have to present a letter from your doctor that you do NOT have certain medical conditions. Anyone over 70 will have an additional form  

Just now, Mljstr said:

I didn't catch the date, I was focused on the intent of the post.  But to answer some who say how will they know? The notice clearly states,  if you are over 70, you will go through a special screening and you will have to present a letter from your doctor that you do NOT have certain medical conditions. Anyone over 70 will have an additional form  

They won't know.  I suspect this has been drummed up by the legal team.  Anyone could have diabetes, or any other chronic health condition, and either tell the truth, and be denied boarding (so Royal doesn't have to worry about something happening to them) or they lie, and they can say "hey, we asked and they said no.  They lied, it's on them."  In practicality it's a meaningless policy, but it makes the lawyers happy.

4 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They won't know.  I suspect this has been drummed up by the legal team.  Anyone could have diabetes, or any other chronic health condition, and either tell the truth, and be denied boarding (so Royal doesn't have to worry about something happening to them) or they lie, and they can say "hey, we asked and they said no.  They lied, it's on them."  In practicality it's a meaningless policy, but it makes the lawyers happy.

Yes, I am sure the lawyers have required this. But it clearly states in the policy: 

If you click on written verification, it includes name and sail date and this language from a DOCTOR:I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency state due to HIV?AIDS or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus...

I attest this person is fit to sail on a cruise vacation.

Signature of treating physician.

It is not just a question. You must present this form.

Just now, Mljstr said:

Yes, I am sure the lawyers have required this. But it clearly states in the policy: 

Yes, for those over 70.  Then below that it addresses everyone else. That's what I'm talking about.

"b. Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer."

Boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC...chronic ... lung, ...disease

Unfortunately, the CDC website doesn't have a definition of what qualifies as a "chronic lung disease," let alone anything that makes it clear what is "severe."

3 hours ago, Gears said:

Who decides severity of a person's condition?

And don't the majority of people have one one of those listed health issues?  Hypertension, Afib, CHF are all chronic heart conditions and people live happy, healthy otherwise lives every day with those. And how many millions of people have diabetes? Or cancer? And are just fine? 

I think the word "may" is the key word and as @WAAAYTOOO has said, it allows Royal Caribbean to cover their a**.

2 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

And don't the majority of people have one one of those listed health issues?  Hypertension, Afib, CHF are all chronic heart conditions and people live happy, healthy otherwise lives every day with those. And how many millions of people have diabetes? Or cancer? And are just fine? 

I think the word "may" is the key word and as @WAAAYTOOO has said, it allows Royal Caribbean to cover their a**.

Except before that it says Boarding WILL be denied. So it's really unclear.  And that's why anyone who wants to risk it will just lie.

8 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

I believe the doctor does, and I doubt a doctor wants to say a patient with any chronic disease is "fit to go an a cruise" in the midst of this coronavirus and put his license on the line.

17 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Unfortunately I think they should completely shut down for 30-60 days. I will be affected but it’s for the good of the country. Then no worries about lying. 

Well, lying about having a chronic disease only affects the person with the chronic disease.  But with Canada closing ports to all ships over 500 people through July 1,  other cruise lines shutting down, and ports closing other places, I don't see how much longer Royal can hold out.