US government to suspend all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days

3 minutes ago, accio7 said:

According to this article, this travel ban goes into effect Friday and will impact airlines, cruise lines, freighters. The UK is exempt from this ban, people returning to the US can fly to the UK and then fly to the US.

So I just looked it up Only 3 sailings on Royal would be effected so far by this travel ban.. All 3 on Jewel of the seas.. Now if they extend the travel ban longer than 30 days its a whole different story.. Basically Royals Europe season starts May 2.. So I wonder how long the Europe Travel Ban will last

5 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

So I just looked it up Only 3 sailings on Royal would be effected so far by this travel ban.. All 3 on Jewel of the seas.. Now if they extend the travel ban longer than 30 days its a whole different story.. Basically Royals Europe season starts May 2.. So I wonder how long the Europe Travel Ban will last

I thank you for your diligence in looking this up ? 

17 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

And this may make things a bit complicated for those on the Allure TA right now for getting back home.

I was thinking that as well when I learned about this news, going to be a massive pain in the neck for Americans trying to get home. Hopefully their airline is sympathetic and can/are willing to waive change fees. 

7 hours ago, accio7 said:

I was thinking that as well when I learned about this news, going to be a massive pain in the neck for Americans trying to get home. Hopefully their airline is sympathetic and can/are willing to waive change fees. 

Waive change fees as long as you didn't book using airline miles.  Then normal fees apply, at least on Delta.  Source: Me.  I just spent several thousand to fly on American because they have space.  If I want my Delta miles back I have to a pay a deposit fee.  So don't believe the airlines that claim they are waiving fees.  

1 hour ago, berkeleykel said:

US citizens aren’t affected but I imagine they will have trouble finding flights. I also think it’s a matter of time until the UK is added to the list.

New policy is being developed and will be announced within 48 hours.  US citizens will be required to fly through specific airports that have enhanced screening capability in place.  

So what does that mean?   It's not just a matter of changing air tickets, you may be required to change to a specific routing through a gateway city that can screen US citizens properly.  That has the potential of becoming a challenge for the airlines to manage.  

There is also the possibility of facing quarantines upon arrival.  US citizens don't get a free pass.

it will be more clear when the new policy is released with the next 48 hours.

This is turning into something huge..contrary to many ppl's reactions and statements here a week or so ago.

This has the potential to decimate the cruise and airline industry. And its just in the early stages here in North America.

No, the sky is not falling, but it is pretty bad.

Our travel plans have been affected already......one leg of the flight home from Miami was cancelled(but booked on a  later flight) as airlines are cutting back on flights due to lack of demand. And if you want a ticket now on the amalgamated flight..its like $1400 economy!!

The basketball tickets we have look like they are no good. The final nail in the coffin will be what happens to cruise's in North America. I predict we are one major outbreak on another  cruise ship from something massive happening.

On top of that our dollar has plunged so our vacation is already 10% more expensive then we planned before we even start it.

So our 6mths of planning, saving, booking is turning into hoping for refunds, exchanges and now looking at other vacation options to Cuba or Mexico.

And this is just our 'leisure" time  and money affected..never mind people dealing with this medically and job wise...

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Waive change fees as long as you didn't book using airline miles.  Then normal fees apply, at least on Delta.  Source: Me.  I just spent several thousand to fly on American because they have space.  If I want my Delta miles back I have to a pay a deposit fee.  So don't believe the airlines that claim they are waiving fees.  

New policy is being developed and will be announced within 48 hours.  US citizens will be required to fly through specific airports that have enhanced screening capability in place.  

So what does that mean?   It's not just a matter of changing air tickets, you may be required to change to a specific routing through a gateway city that can screen US citizens properly.  That has the potential of becoming a challenge for the airlines to manage.  

There is also the possibility of facing quarantines upon arrival.  US citizens don't get a free pass.

it will be more clear when the new policy is released with the next 48 hours.

Are you back ?  I was wondering if your return trip was going to be affected.  Sorry to hear about your Delta award miles.  Hopefully you will be able to recoup from insurance.  I’m just glad you’re home safe and sound (hopefully).  I know John and Laura were spending a few days in Spain.  That could be problematic at this point.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Are you back ?  I was wondering if your return trip was going to be affected.  Sorry to hear about your Delta award miles.  Hopefully you will be able to recoup from insurance.  I’m just glad you’re home safe and sound (hopefully).  I know John and Laura were spending a few days in Spain.  That could be problematic at this point.

I was scheduled to fly back Tuesday.  Now I'm coming back Saturday.  AirBNB won't refund so losing that as well.  $3,000 hit for me likely not covered by insurance (pandemic clause).  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was scheduled to fly back Tuesday.  Now I'm coming back Saturday.  AirBNB won't refund so losing that as well.  $3,000 hit for me likely not covered by insurance (pandemic clause).  

UGH.  Are you having to fly through the UK to get home ?  Try and enjoy your time there.  I will worry about you until you get back !!  Safe travels.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

UGH.  Are you having to fly through the UK to get home ?  Try and enjoy your time there.  I will worry about you until you get back !!  Safe travels.

As it turns out, yes.  In theory I could stay but I fear the greeting US citizens have in store next week.  Welcome back, here is you cot in an army base for the next 3 weeks. 

So it was my choice to rid myself of cash at this point.  As I was booking new flights some were going fast.  Some only had first class at $7k available.  Not that airlines would gouge at this point.  

11 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I think the key thing here, no flat out ban on the cruise industry...that has to be promising in itself.

Don't you think that's slightly irrelevant, the dia is cast all sovereign nations will follow suit soon.

30 minutes ago, twangster said:

As it turns out, yes.  In theory I could stay but I fear the greeting US citizens have in store next week.  Welcome back, here is you cot in an army base for the next 3 weeks. 

So it was my choice to rid myself of cash at this point.  As I was booking new flights some were going fast.  Some only had first class at $7k available.  Not that airlines would gouge at this point.  

Nah...the airlines would NEVER do that !!!

I don't blame you one single bit about worrying about your homecoming.  It's realistic and not outside of possibility.  Stay safe.

38 minutes ago, DaiC01 said:

Don't you think that's slightly irrelevant, the dia is cast all sovereign nations will follow suit soon.

I'm guessing you mean: the "Dice is Cast"

I don't see it as "irrelevant"; because, the fact stands, the President did not call for an all out ban on travel via the cruise industry. At some point, what you suggest, make eventually reach fruition and nations across the world could start a domino effect, banning cruises...things are very fluid, at the moment; so, I wouldn't attempt to say with any certainty. Obviously, certain lines are deciding to self quarantine their operation themselves...Viking and now Princess; but, as of this moment, there is no restriction, from our government. People are free to cruise, if they choose to do so, if those passengers meet guidelines that are currently in place.

2 hours ago, monctonguy said:

This is turning into something huge..contrary to many ppl's reactions and statements here a week or so ago.

I suspect China has been "more cooperative & transparent" than before....to what degree, who knows; yet still, I'm guessing, that's what prompting the WHO finally decree, governments putting more restrictive measures in place, & markets reaction to a more lasting effect on the world's economies. We, the world public are not getting the full scope, of what has happen there, in Wuhan, China, for a numbers of reasons; but, are left for us to deduce the seriousness of what happening w/o officials being completely forthcoming.