Proposed Restrictions for Guests Over 70

Watch out over 70’s - even if your doctor signs that you are fit to travel on a cruise holiday, if the government guidelines are saying that 70 and overs should not travel, then if you don’t follow the guidelines it may invalidate your holiday insurance cover.

Honestly, I think this ridiculous paperwork requirement is going to have much longer negative impact on cruising than the CV19 will.  How short-sighted !  The only thing this did was make the bean counters feel better in the short term.  In the long term it's going to ruin cruising for the cruiselines' bread and butter.  Utter nonsense.

On 17 March 2020 at 1:17 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Honestly, I think this ridiculous paperwork requirement is going to have much longer negative impact on cruising than the CV19 will.  How short-sighted !  The only thing this did was make the bean counters feel better in the short term.  In the long term it's going to ruin cruising for the cruiselines' bread and butter.  Utter nonsense.

Yes, it is rediculous. Many fit and well 70's and over will not be able to cruise while RCCL persist with this requirement. I know that I will not be able to cruise again on RCCL until they remove this requirement and I have two more cruises booked at the moment. I may have to cancel them and I certainly won't be booking any more until the situation changes.

Seems like RCCL may have shot themselves in the foot this time.

36 minutes ago, Jim S said:

Yes, it is rediculous. Many fit and well 70's and over will not be able to cruise while RCCL persist with this requirement. I know that I will not be able to cruise again on RCCL until they remove this requirement and I have two more cruises booked at the moment. I may have to cancel them and I certainly won't be booking any more until the situation changes.

Seems like RCCL may have shot themselves in the foot this time.

CLIA made the recommendation based on the meeting with the VP.  The cruise lines followed the White House and CLIA on this one.  

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

I understand.  That doesn't make it any less of a knee-jerk reaction in times of crisis that accomplishes nothing...

If you see the interview that Goldstein did he offers it was "suggested" by Pence in the meeting so they submitted it as a recommendation.  At the time the White House was trying to find a compromise instead of a complete cruise ban.  It's easy to look back now and say the White House should have just shut down the cruise lines.  At the time we all believed it primarily or only impacted elderly so in that context it was an olive branch to allow cruise lines to stay open.  Hindsight is 20-20.   

On 3/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, Jim S said:

I took the letter to my doctor today and he refused to sign it. He had no problem in confirming that I was not suffering from any of the listed chronic illnesses but he said he could not attest to me being fit to travel on a cruise ship since the UK government had issued guidance to all over 70’s advising not to travel on a cruise ship. Looks like I will not be allowed to travel on our March 23 cruise. ??

Legality issues with signing.....I suspect more physicians will be leary about signing such a decretive.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

CLIA made the recommendation based on the meeting with the VP.  The cruise lines followed the White House and CLIA on this one.  

Well, we also have 3 upcoming cruises with P&O (Carnival Group) and they have not asked for this declaration.

12 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

It doesn't take much to figure out that RCI doesn't want folks over 70 on their ships as they don't spend a lot of money onboard.

The same hypothesis could be said for cruisers in their 50's or 60's.  For any seasoned cruiser at any age.

The true spenders tend to be new-to-cruise.  Anyone Diamond or above doesn't spend much on board relative to new to cruise.  Diamond happy hour drinks take away a lot of on board revenue.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The same hypothesis could be said for cruisers in their 50's or 60's.  For any seasoned cruiser at any age.

The true spenders tend to be new-to-cruise.  Anyone Diamond or above doesn't spend much on board relative to new to cruise.  Diamond happy hour drinks take away a lot of on board revenue.  

I agree.

• 1 month later...

I am 70 and have chronic heart failure that is stabilized. I walk 4 miles every day and am very fit. Yes people over a certain age (65) are more susceptible to more severe symptoms and death but so are those under 70 who are obese, hypertensive, diabetic or immune compromised. This Has not been well thought out as there will be quite a few older cruisers who cannot meet this criteria and therefore, their cruising days are over with RCCL and some other cruise lines. 

45 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Is this mandated by the CDC or Royal Caribbean's own guidelines?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-cruise-ship

I think based on the CDC's advisement the CLIA came up with those restrictions and the cruise lines implemented their guidelines. 

With the situation being fluid, there's no telling how it might change once cruising resumes.  If they start back up sooner rather than later I can see the guidelines sticking for to remain on the conservative side. 

My mother is in the same situation with several cruises booked and right now is just waiting to see what happens.