1 Person in our Group Cancelling Question

With all the crazy information I figured I would come here and ask the experts. We (My 2 kids, 72 yo Mom and I) will be cruising on Independence in July. My Mom has health/breathing issues, only 1 lung, COPD, a few other issues and has already said she's not going. She is very definite in this.  The kids and I are going no matter what (desperate for a vacation). We all planned to stay in the same room but now we will be 3 instead of 4. So my question is, do I see about getting a credit for her fare? Will my room cost go up if we do this? Should we just do her as a no-show and if we do this who do I tell and when? Right now we're booked into a balcony room but not a Jr Suite. I'm happy with the room and don't want to change unless it's an upgrade, of course. Since we're still so far out I'm sure a lot will change and it's really like being in an auction and wanting to hit the timing just right to maybe get perks or avoid pitfalls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Happy Sailing!

Kate

Hey, Kate -

Since final payment date has not yet passed, you can cancel your cruise and rebook.  That would get your mother's money back....but then you are faced with having to rebook at perhaps (or perhaps not) a higher rate.

Your other option is to let things go and just have her be a "no-show".  In that case, the only refund you would get would be her gratuities (if they have been prepaid) , taxes and ports fees.  If you choose to have her be a no-show, there is no need to do anything.  In fact, it is probably advisable NOT to tell them ahead of time.  This is b/c you are in a cabin that can accommodate 4 people - and those are pretty rare.  If you tell them that you are losing one, they MAY try and snatch your 4-person room from you and move you to a 3-person room (much more plentiful).  Why let them do that ?  Unless the rules change between now and July, there is absolutely no penalty for someone being a no-show.  Why have the uncertainty of them maybe moving you when you don't have to.

Do you have a good travel agent ?  If you do, simply have them price out the options for you.  They can tell you how much it would cost you to rebook just the 3 of you.  That may be a good option or it may be very costly to do that.  You won't know until you look into it.

I'd say you have two choices...

No-show with them. No price change, but no money back either (other than port fees and taxes).

Or, use the Cruise with Confidence program and you can get a Future Cruise Credit for just her. No adjustment to your price. No money back, but her fare can be used in the future after things calm down.

Just now, Matt said:

Or, use the Cruise with Confidence program and you can get a Future Cruise Credit for just her. No adjustment to your price. No money back, but her fare can be used in the future after things calm down.

They allow this?  I had been told the entire cabin has to cancel under this policy.

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

They allow this?  I had been told the entire cabin has to cancel under this policy.

There was a webinar with Vicki Freed (RC's head of sales) and she discussed this option. 

Granted, I don't see it spelled out in the FAQs, but I would pursue this as an option.

Very interesting information, Matt.  Thanks.  Like Ashley, I had also been under the impression that one cancel, all cancel.  If it works out the say you are suggesting, it would be very good news for some people who are trying to remove only 1 person from the reservation.  Thank you !!!