Category not on the website, would it also be unavailable for call-in upgrade?

I'm posting this to entertain myself while I'm on hold with RCCL.  If a cabin category is shown as sold out on the website, does that also mean it wouldn't be available to upgrade to when calling in?

The same class is still listed in the 453403 Royal Up emails they've sent me so it seems like those rooms wouldn't be sold out.

Just now, TheSteveK said:

I'm posting this to entertain myself while I'm on hold with RCCL.  If a cabin category is shown as sold out on the website, does that also mean it wouldn't be available to upgrade to when calling in?

It is not a 100% sure thing that the category is actually, completely sold out.  I have read of people who got upgrades even though the category is showing "sold out".

Just now, TheSteveK said:

The same class is still listed in the 453403 Royal Up emails they've sent me so it seems like those rooms wouldn't be sold out.

Conversely, (to the above), just b/c RoyalUp sends out an offer to bid on a cabin category does not mean that there are actually any cabins available in that category.

So...the truth is...nobody really knows.  Keep the faith.  Call, hold, upgrade !!!

This same circumstance happened with a cabin I desired, there are only two on the ship and it appeared after not being there previously, so I called MEI (Sharla) and sure enough it was available, someone had just cancelled so yes it can occur, good luck!

Yes stay on hold, read more posts, the cruise compass can help pass the time too. Oh and amazing pics with trip reports.......

More often than not, the cabin categories are in waitlist status when customers get a "RoyalUp" offer (t/a gets a copy of the offer too). It does limit the chances but I call it reshuffling the deck. If someone moves from your requested category, by bidding up themselves, or even a cancellation, you will be in line right away.

1 hour ago, ebeck88 said:

When do they allocate the upgrades via RoyalUP?  I put bids in but hoping to secure a free upgrade before they allocate.  If I do, am I able to cancel my bids?

You can cancel your RoyalUp bid at any time up until your bid has been accepted.  I have been reading of some peoples' bids have been "frozen" so I'm not sure what happens then...guess you have to call and do it "in person".

2 minutes ago, TheSteveK said:

Just reporting back. On holld a little over two hours.  There's nothing above my current category (junior suite) but it does sound like there are some opportunities to upgrade from a lower category to a Jr Suite if anyone happens to be going on the Empress this Sunday ?

GO GET 'EM !!!