Kids and separate room

Fran H.

Hi there,

I need some assistance, we're booked to sail in Nov. on LOS.  We have an aft balcony booked on deck 10 and an interior on deck 6.  There are 2 adults and 2 kids - 12 y/o.  Can the girls stay in the interior cabin and the adults in the balcony?  I know we cant change the booking, but will the ship care?

Just now, Fran H. said:

Hi there,

I need some assistance, we're booked to sail in Nov. on LOS.  We have an aft balcony booked on deck 10 and an interior on deck 6.  There are 2 adults and 2 kids - 12 y/o.  Can the girls stay in the interior cabin and the adults in the balcony?  I know we cant change the booking, but will the ship care?

Why would you allow your children to be that far away from you?   It's a ship, do you realize how many strangers will be between you, and your children?   Oh, and to answer your question, no the ship won't care until after the lawsuits begin. ? 

3 minutes ago, Fran H. said:

I know we cant change the booking, but will the ship care?

I'm not sure booking policy would allow the girls to be booked officially be in their own room as minors unless it was adjacent or relatively near to the other room.

However, you can go to Guest Services and get extra keys made and they won't bat an eye or even question it.  

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Isn’t there a rule requiring at least 1 person in the room to be 18 ?  I’m surprised they allowed the booking to process with the children’s ages.

I read it as they booked 1 adult, 1 child in each room; probably how they get around the age rule.  But typically it's age at least one age 21 in a room.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

One adult per room is correct, but they do make an exception for connecting rooms, non-connecting rooms adjacent to the adults, and rooms across the hall from the adults.

I have booked several cruises with the kids in connecting rooms, adjacent rooms and our next cruise will have the kids across the hall. I have also been required, when the kids were younger, to book with one kid with each parent even in connecting rooms.

That being said at twelve years of age, I would not have placed my children so far away from me.  My youngest would escape from Adventure Ocean when she was younger, I would have hated to see what trouble she would have gotten into if we were not close enough to check on her.

Technically one there needs to be at least one person over 21 booked in the cabin.  With one exception: Connecting rooms can have under 21 as long as there is someone over 21 booked in the connecting room and they are under the same reservations.  According to the rules, the rooms must be connecting and not just next door or near each other.  However, many times my son and I were booked in one room and my wife and daughter booked in another.  The kids actually stayed in one and we stayed in the other.  However, we were always in cabins directly next to each other (sometimes connecting, sometimes not) or grown ups got a balcony and kids directly across the hall in an inside cabin.  I would be wary of having kids a couple of decks away.

We just had this issue with our NYE cruise.   Booked our balcony room and kids room on same floor but four doors down.  RCI would not permit it even though our kids are 17 and 20!

Had to book one parent in each room. 

The only exceptions are the adjoining rooms or one directly across the hall.   

• 1 year later...
On 3/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Isn’t there a rule requiring at least 1 person in the room to be 18 ?  I’m surprised they allowed the booking to process with the children’s ages.

It’s actually surprisingly not 18. It’s 21. So for me and my boyfriend who are both 18, I had to invite his cousin because it wouldn’t let us book without a 21 year old. So me and my boyfriend slept in one room and his cousin slept in the adjacent one just to keep it in compliance with the ship’s rules.

58 minutes ago, Aaliyah said:

It’s actually surprisingly not 18. It’s 21. So for me and my boyfriend who are both 18, I had to invite his cousin because it wouldn’t let us book without a 21 year old. So me and my boyfriend slept in one room and his cousin slept in the adjacent one just to keep it in compliance with the ship’s rules.

My 19 year old couldn’t even board solo to join me on the second leg of a back to back.  I had to meet them in the terminal and board together. 

I have booked connecting rooms for my kids around the same age, booking one with me and one with my mom, but letting them have one room. That said, we leave the door open between the rooms. If your 12 year olds are mature enough to handle the responsibility of having their own room, that’s one thing, but mine would not be mature enough. ?

On 3/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, Fran H. said:

Hi there,

We have allowed our kids to stay in non-connecting rooms many times. You may need to have 1 adult registered in the deck 6 room but once you are on board go to guest services and they will give you extra keys for both rooms so the adults can have keys to the kids room. You might feel more comfortable if the interior was on deck 10 as well if that’s on option but as long as you and your kids are good with is go for it, have fun.