Cruise line canceling a cruise?

basil

18 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Not that many people are cancelling ?

I have been following the occupancy of my upcoming cruise that leaves in two days.  There is a particular online consolidator that will list the number of cabins available for each category.  Three weeks ago, some friends were thinking of joining us.  The ship had less than two dozen cabins available and prices were high so they decided not to book.  I am a nerdy engineer and three days ago I started a spreadsheet to track availability.  I did this basically to see how much additional elbow room I will have while onboard.  When I started the spreadsheet two days ago, there were 260 cabins available.  Currently there are 590 cabins available giving roughly 65% occupancy.  In any particular category, I have never seen more than 50 cabins available.  None were showing 50 available two days ago and now 20% of the categories are showing 50 available.  My guess is the max it will show available is 50, so there is a good chance there are even more empty cabins than what is shown. 

1 minute ago, CruiseWeaver said:

I have been following the occupancy of my upcoming cruise that leaves in two days.  There is a particular online consolidator that will list the number of cabins available for each category.  Three weeks ago, some friends were thinking of joining us.  The ship had less than two dozen cabins available and prices were high so they decided not to book.  I am a nerdy engineer and three days ago I started a spreadsheet to track availability.  I did this basically to see how much additional elbow room I will have while onboard.  When I started the spreadsheet two days ago, there were 260 cabins available.  Currently there are 590 cabins available giving roughly 65% occupancy.  In any particular category, I have never seen more than 50 cabins available.  None were showing 50 available two days ago and now 20% of the categories are showing 50 available.  My guess is the max it will show available is 50, so there is a good chance there are even more empty cabins than what is shown. 

Are you able to share the website that you get this information from?  I'm going on Symphony in 2 days and interested to see how it's looking.  Think it will make for a better cruise with less people, but a really large number of empty cabins may make it feel like a ghost town on a ship that big

3 minutes ago, ebeck88 said:

Are you able to share the website that you get this information from?  I'm going on Symphony in 2 days and interested to see how it's looking.  Think it will make for a better cruise with less people, but a really large number of empty cabins may make it feel like a ghost town on a ship that big

When we had our abbreviated Anthem cruise in Feb (what started this whole mess !!), we were at 65% capacity and there was absolutely NO “ghost town” feeling at all.  It was a GREAT cruise.

16 minutes ago, CruiseWeaver said:

Sounds like you should be calling to see about a cost neutral upgrade to a higher category.

Is the 500+ rooms for the Symphony sailing on March 14th?  We contacted our travel agent yesterday to see if they could get us an upgrade, but apparently they are swamped as we were told they are calling people back in the order they received our call.  Haven't heard from the travel agent yet, fingers crossed that they are able to try and get an upgrade for us

Just now, ebeck88 said:

Is the 500+ rooms for the Symphony sailing on March 14th?  We contacted our travel agent yesterday to see if they could get us an upgrade, but apparently they are swamped as we were told they are calling people back in the order they received our call.  Haven't heard from the travel agent yet, fingers crossed that they are able to try and get an upgrade for us

No. It is for Harmony.

22 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

When we had our abbreviated Anthem cruise in Feb (what started this whole mess !!), we were at 65% capacity and there was absolutely NO “ghost town” feeling at all.  It was a GREAT cruise.

That's because you two were on the cruise!  I follow your post on this site and I will testify that you all are my "ideal" of how to travel.   "if it comes let it, if it goes let it, enjoy the ride!"

32 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Sounds like you should be calling to see about a cost neutral upgrade to a higher category.

I tried for an upgrade but without success.  The problem I had is with excessive hold times with my TA (a large online consolidator).  I am booked in a Junior Suite and the price for a Grand Suite was less than what I paid.  I called at 10AM yesterday and the electronic receptionist said wait times were long but I could have them call me back without losing my place in line.  I get that things are busy with everything going on, but I was called back at 7PM!!?!!!???!  At that time, Grand Suites were sold out.  After a short discussion, she put me on hold. After an hour, I was disconnected.  Fortunately, they called back an hour later but, unfortunately, told me no upgrade.  Shortly after that call, I looked online and Grand Suites were again available for less than the cost of my Junior Suite.  (Sigh)  Although, I am not sure I would have taken the upgrade.  My son (18-yr old) and I are booked in one cabin and my wife and daughter (15-yr old) are booked next door since someone over 21 needs to be booked in each cabin.  The intention is that the kids will actually stay in one and my wife and I in the other.  I'm not sure if a better cabin on the other side of the ship is worth being separated.

51 minutes ago, ebeck88 said:

cruise.com  However, I would avoid actually booking with them.  Their reviews are terrible and my experience with them supports the reviews.  A while back I booked on a trip with them a couple years ago, they tried to charge me a cancellation fee when their website specifically said they wouldn't.  They have since changed their policy and state there are cancellation fees.  Yesterday it took over 9 hours to reach a human when calling them.  I get things are busy, but 9 hours is a little much.

17 minutes ago, CruiseWeaver said:

cruise.com  However, I would avoid actually booking with them.  Their reviews are terrible and my experience with them supports the reviews.  A while back I booked on a trip with them a couple years ago, they tried to charge me a cancellation fee when their website specifically said they wouldn't.  They have since changed their policy and state there are cancellation fees.  Yesterday it took over 9 hours to reach a human when calling them.  I get things are busy, but 9 hours is a little much.

Unfortunately that's who we booked with.  Can't get in touch via phone which I can understand with the chaos, but our agent emailed back that she is going to contact them.  First time cruisers (other than when I went as a kid multiple times) so lesson learned for the future.  Up until now they have been very good, but we didn't have any special requests before now

1 hour ago, ebeck88 said:

Unfortunately that's who we booked with.  Can't get in touch via phone which I can understand with the chaos, but our agent emailed back that she is going to contact them.  First time cruisers (other than when I went as a kid multiple times) so lesson learned for the future.  Up until now they have been very good, but we didn't have any special requests before now

Good luck.  I hope that you have a good outcome.  Big travel conglomerates are excellent for certain things, but unfortunately, quick, personal service is not usually one of them.  In times of crisis (and we will all be faced with at least one, eventually), there is just no substitute for a good, personal Agent that can respond promptly.  I wouldn't give mine up for a million bucks.

This has been going a little off of the original topic but...

We've had good luck with cruise.com.  I guess it all comes down to your agent.  We only deal with one particular agent and I always call her directly.  If I get her voicemail, I send an email and she responds in a reasonable amount of time.  We almost always get extra OBC from them (usually posted at the end of the first day of the cruise) and sometimes get lower prices because they often book a block of staterooms from RC.  If you need to call any agent to solve a problem or answer a question, I opt for the call-back option (I hate to wait on hold), and usually get a call-back within an hour. 

3 hours ago, ebeck88 said:

I went to seascanner.com and you can check availability for each class pretty easily.  I went through and by my rough count, Symphony has 269 empty cabins for Saturday's sailing as of now.  More elbow room at dinner I guess

I guess Im not using seascanner correctly - cant find that info

13 minutes ago, Robert B1 said:

I believe You would have to click on each stateroom category and count the number of cabins highlighted as available to pick

On Edit: I did it and found about 111 open cabin on my April 16th on Grandeur....and many of the cabin where 'blocks' of 3 or 6 open....so it looks like some 'groups' may be cancelling ?

12 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I believe You would have to click on each stateroom category and count the number of cabins highlighted as available to pick

On Edit: I did it and found about 111 open cabin on my April 16th on Grandeur....and many of the cabin where 'blocks' of 3 or 6 open....so it looks like some 'groups' may be cancelling ?

appreciate your help - thanks

48 minutes ago, Robert B1 said:

Yep, just pick your ship and date using “cruise finder” and then select availability and pricing and you have to select each category and count.  Putting in 2 people will show different results than if you put 3 or 4 people, so it’s not perfect, but gives you a pretty good idea of what it looks like 

41 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Same cruise we will be on. Really hope our TA can get us an upgrade.