April Royal Caribbean Cruise

hail73

I have a cruise booked for mid-April and I am unsure of whether or not to cancel. This cruise ports from Galveston, Texas and heads through the western caribbean (Cozumel, Mexico - Roatan, Hondurus- Belize City, Belize)

Any thoughts? 

46 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is a personal decision to make. I have a cruise on Sunday to similar ports, and I am going.  Of course, no one in my family is elderly, very young, or has underlying health conditions.

@Matt  Can you explain how the cruise credit works? When rebooking, do I have to put a deposit down and then wait for a certificate to arrive and use it to pay the balance or can I wait for the certificate and use it to pay the deposit? I can't get through to ask these questions and cancel my April cruise. I was on hold 1 1/2 hours yesterday and gave up.

54 minutes ago, Matt said:

This is a personal decision to make. I have a cruise on Sunday to similar ports, and I am going.  Of course, no one in my family is elderly, very young, or has underlying health conditions.

hey @Matt,  any chance you're on Anthem this Sunday?   It would be fantastic to meet you!

21 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Can you explain how the cruise credit works?

I've not seen an FCC from this situation because I haven't cancelled anything.  I don't have direct knowledge of these FCC so it's not clear if the regular FCC rules and process apply.   

Up to this point future cruise credit typically can only be applied to a booking.  To have a booking one must pay a deposit.  Consequently FCC typically can't be used to pay the deposit to create a booking (what comes first the chicken or the egg?).  FCC also can't be applied to port fees or taxes.  FCC can only be applied to the base cruise fare.  Prepaid gratuity can't be paid using FCC.  

The 'normal" FCC process is to have a future cruise booked with a deposit paid and then an FCC can be applied towards that booking.  The FCC amount is applied towards the base cruise fare leaving the port fees and taxes as a balance plus any amount of the base cruise fare that the FCC didn't fully cover.  In cases where the FCC covers the entire base cruise fare the already paid deposit is applied towards the port fees and taxes.  Depending on how much those are you might have a balance remaining. 

As you can imagine a 3 day cruise costs less than a 12 night cruise and port fees and taxes tend to be less on a 3 night cruise but so is the deposit so there isn't a one size fits all scenario regarding applying FCC.  It depends on the amount of your FCC and the details of the cruise you want to apply it towards.  

In the past I've used FCC when booking a cruise after final payment due date.  When booking close to the sail date you have to pay for the entire cost of a cruise with a credit card - there is no deposit because it's after final payment due date.  In this specific scenario once the cruise is paid in full using my credit card the FCC was applied to the base cruise fare (not taxes or port fees) and that was amount was refunded to my credit card several days later.  

I work in the hospital industry and have been engulfed in coronavirus preparedness for the past 2 weeks. As long as you're healthy I personally would go. In the US alone this season the Flu has hospitalized 350,000 and is blamed for 20,000 deaths. The flu is much more prevalent than Coronavirus and no one is cancelling anything because of it. 

We have a late April cruise on Harmony and are planning to still go and will re-evaluate it about a week prior to sailing. 

I have no issue sailing due to catching the virus. The issue I have is whether we want to risk an outbreak (or even 1 case) onboard and then being quarantined for 2 weeks or more.  

We are hoping in the next 4 weeks we see the virus spread stalling but that may be wishful thinking. 

13 minutes ago, Thrifty99 said:

We have a late April cruise on Harmony and are planning to still go and will re-evaluate it about a week prior to sailing. 

I have no issue sailing due to catching the virus. The issue I have is whether we want to risk an outbreak (or even 1 case) onboard and then being quarantined for 2 weeks or more.  

We are hoping in the next 4 weeks we see the virus spread stalling but that may be wishful thinking. 

I think that is what we are seeing people cancel because of more than the virus but the fear of being quarantined.  Many people cannot miss work or work from home for 14 days.  This is a personal decision for everyone and only you know your health, family and work situations.  The great news is you dont have to rush to make the decision.

We are leaving on our next cruise out of Galveston on March 22. We have less fear of the virus as we are both hyper cleanliness nuts and even though we are older (+65) we are in excellent health and to prepare went to our physician this week and were cleared by him. Fortunately for both of us we can work remotely for extended periods so we are leaving to relax and enjoy ourselves whatever may happen. Seeing the status of the booking availability on our voyage I am anticipating that there will be fewer people aboard which is fine by me. Shorter lines for the wave rider, fewer people by the pool, shows and dining.

32 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Seeing the status of the booking availability on our voyage I am anticipating that there will be fewer people aboard which is fine by me. Shorter lines for the wave rider, fewer people by the pool, shows and dining.

I had a friend on Navigator last weekend and he said while there was a spring break atmosphere it definitely wasn’t full.  I agree with you that if you’re able to still go there’s some advantages in that aspect.

This is also our dilemma.   We are riding it out until a couple days prior to our April 4th sailing.   We really want to go but as with many we simply cannot miss work for 2 weeks after for a possible quarantine situation onboard the ship if one single person gets sick.   It’s a hard decision to make but we will continue to wait and see how things are going

22 hours ago, klc317 said:

This is also our dilemma.   We are riding it out until a couple days prior to our April 4th sailing.   We really want to go but as with many we simply cannot miss work for 2 weeks after for a possible quarantine situation onboard the ship if one single person gets sick.   It’s a hard decision to make but we will continue to wait and see how things are going

I contacted the customer service line about what procedures they would take if someone WAS to get sick on-board and hopefully that will give me a little relief (if they are able to help me at all).  What also is giving me some relief is that none of the ships that have been quarantined were Royal Caribbean. Just reading over their updated screening procedures made me feel a bit better!