Drink Packages and Their Lack of Consistency

JasonD

I was just looking thru my cruise planer and found that the drink packages are on sale, "20% off" for my 3 upcoming sailings out of Southampton.. The price for the first two sailings on Harmony are cheaper at 46.37/day, while the sailing on the Navigator is more expensive at $50.13/day for the Select Package.. A few interesting points...

1) The drink packages should not vary in price when from the same departure port. I know that when you sail to certain places in Europe the VAT is different, but should be all based off of the departure port. 

2) In March the package went on sale for the Navigator sailing and was much different than it is now.. It was also a 20% off sale, and the price, once added to the cart broke down to be $37/day. Why would the package prices ever change in price so drastically? I get that this is their money maker, and I get varying the prices on the rooms based on demand, but fluctuating the package prices for drinks is crazy... FWIW - the ultimate package on the Nav sailing is 75/day.. I think its getting a bit out of control... They've jumped by about 10/day based on rates from the summer... 

$46.37/day for Harmony 4 night sailing on 5/22

$46.37/day for Harmony 3 night sailing on 5/26

$50.13/day for Navigator 7 night sailing on 5/30

I've had a similar issue for my sailing on Oasis out of Ft Lauderdale. I've been told it's a system glitch as pricing listed doesn't reflect 20% off. Oddly enough, mine says 20% off but is maybe 3-4% less than normal price if I add it to my cart. I'm not sure how it works outside the US, but in my experience the premium package here at regular price should always be $49/day plus 18% gratuity for a 7 day total of $404.74. I'll check back if I get any more info from them today on the glitch.

Prices are not standard across the fleet or even within a single ships. Prices change based upon cruise, time of the year, taxes, number of passengers purchasing packages, and many other factors. The way these prices change for the most part is through promotions and discounts. This is a normal way of doing business, you cannot look at the cruises overall, you need to look at each sailing as it own offer.