Bargain hunting and Solo questions

deep1

Great deals out there right now... Was thinking of doing a solo one to get my points up over the next level. See one listed at 229 + 82 taxes...Ok so I'm figuring 612+- for two. One should be less by taxes? Not sure? I try mock bookings... 2 is indeed around 615... Single though is 860 ????  ? I've never understood RCL pricing but thats just silly...

Sometimes when you put single down it is bringing up studio rooms as an option and those can be a higher price.   It's usually better to just book for 2 and intentionally no-show.  You just have to front the extra port fees for the extra person til after the cruise.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

Sometimes when you put single down it is bringing up studio rooms as an option and those can be a higher price.   It's usually better to just book for 2 and intentionally no-show.  You just have to front the extra port fees for the extra person til after the cruise.

How would I go about getting the double points if I do that? Same way?? As getting the port fees back? Let em know at check in? 

1 hour ago, deep1 said:

How would I go about getting the double points if I do that? Same way?? As getting the port fees back? Let em know at check in? 

Port fees should be automatic but you never know with Royal..and the double points should take a phone call to C&A if it isn't done automatically.   You can also probably legit cancel the other person after final payment with no issues and get the port fees right away refunded..can't imagine that would mess anything up if you're already in a 2 person occupancy room anyways.   But you never know with Royal.

Just as a note -- I was able to track down the cruise I think you're talking about based on the different prices I got on mock bookings. Here's what it looks like to my non-educated eye:

Booking 2 people gives you an option to let Royal pick your room (aka, a GTY). That's $229/person ($622 with tax total). If you pick your own as 2 people, it's $389 each ($778 plus tax).

Booking solo, you don't get the GTY option, and therefore pay the "normal" rate.

14 hours ago, Chadster said:

Just as a note -- I was able to track down the cruise I think you're talking about based on the different prices I got on mock bookings. Here's what it looks like to my non-educated eye:

Booking 2 people gives you an option to let Royal pick your room (aka, a GTY). That's $229/person ($622 with tax total). If you pick your own as 2 people, it's $389 each ($778 plus tax).

Booking solo, you don't get the GTY option, and therefore pay the "normal" rate.

I didn't get the GTY rate but the solo came out to 860 so even more...  What you say makes sense though... Thanks!

2 minutes ago, AnnetteJackson said:

This is it because as soon as you hit 1 - the categories can change on you.  Make sure you are comparing the same categories.

It didn't give me an option... No option to pick or gty either... Just said heres your room 860...

On 3/9/2020 at 12:50 AM, Chadster said:

What is to stop someone from booking GTY for two people and having an intentional no show for the 2nd person? 

1 hour ago, JackL said:

What is to stop someone from booking GTY for two people and having an intentional no show for the 2nd person? 

Nothing at all.  This is quite common as it is often cheaper to book 2 into a room than to pay the single supplement for 1 person.  It is done all of the time.  I can't imagine why GTY would work any differently than a regular cabin assigned room.

3 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Nothing at all.  This is quite common as it is often cheaper to book 2 into a room than to pay the single supplement for 1 person.  It is done all of the time.  I can't imagine why GTY would work any differently than a regular cabin assigned room.

This is actually really helpful, I've only ever searched for one person before.

If I ask my TA, will she be able to book this for me? I have to use this 20% off voucher before the end of July (for the December 2019 cruise I cancelled). 

2 minutes ago, accio7 said:

This is actually really helpful, I've only ever searched for one person before.

If I ask my TA, will she be able to book this for me? I have to use this 20% off voucher before the end of July (for the December 2019 cruise I cancelled). 

Yes. Your agent should be able to help you apply everything

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes. Your agent should be able to help you apply everything

As I've never done this before, should I be honest and tell her to book me into a regular stateroom for two and advise that it's only me that's going? Or keep the solo part to myself and ask her to book a stateroom for two? Tell her that "a friend" will be joining at some point, but I'm not sure who at this point. 

Really appreciate the help with this! 

(I misspoke earlier - the voucher was for the inconveniences I experienced on my 2018 cruise.) 

3 hours ago, DanielB said:

Good luck getting double points for a no show at the port.  I just did this on Symphony (unsuccessfully) and did not get double points.  Was told that this changed in January and if the other person is not cancelled at least 2 days prior to cruise then you will not get the additional points.  

My cruise in December has turned into a solo cruise.  I was going to do the no show but want the double points.  So if i cancel a week or so before nothing will change with my reservation correct?

53 minutes ago, accio7 said:

As I've never done this before, should I be honest and tell her to book me into a regular stateroom for two and advise that it's only me that's going? Or keep the solo part to myself and ask her to book a stateroom for two? Tell her that "a friend" will be joining at some point, but I'm not sure who at this point. 

Really appreciate the help with this! 

(I misspoke earlier - the voucher was for the inconveniences I experienced on my 2018 cruise.) 

I always advise you to be honest with your Agent. It is their job to keep you out of trouble.  Remember....sometimes it is NOT cheaper to book for 2 vs solo so if your Agent really believes there are 2 of you, he/she might not advise you properly.  If you don’t feel you can be honest with your Agent, you need a new Agent. ??

What you are contemplating is not sketchy or semi-illegal.  It is perfectly legal and ethical.  Sometimes the rules the cruise lines make are to our advantage (granted, it’s rare !) and in this case you are just using their rules to your advantage.

I also advise you to discuss the fact that you will be having the second person as a “no-show” or would it be better to cancel them at the last minute so that will get double points.  It would be a shame to go to all of this secret squirrel work and then have them tell you, you won’t get double points, as Daniel recently had happen. Best to maximize all of the benefits here....let’s not find out the hard way that we could have made a very simple change and gotten it ALL !

❤️❤️?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I always advise you to be honest with your Agent. It is their job to keep you out of trouble.  Remember....sometimes it is NOT cheaper to book for 2 vs solo so if your Agent really believes there are 2 of you, he/she might not advise you properly.  If you don’t feel you can be honest with your Agent, you need a new Agent. ??

What you are contemplating is not sketchy or semi-illegal.  It is perfectly legal and ethical.  Sometimes the rules the cruise lines make are to our advantage (granted, it’s rare !) and in this case you are just using their rules to your advantage.

I also advise you to discuss the fact that you will be having the second person as a “no-show” or would it be better to cancel them at the last minute so that will get double points.  It would be a shame to go to all of this secret squirrel work and then have them tell you, you won’t get double points, as Daniel recently had happen. Best to maximize all of the benefits here....let’s not find out the hard way that we could have made a very simple change and gotten it ALL !

❤️❤️?

It's good to know that what is being advised is legal, I trust you guys 100% ? I have a good relationship with my TA, my family has been working with her for a while now. The cost of my cruise is actually more important than the points, just want to get a fair price.

Thanks for your help with this!