State department said avoid cruise travels?

First, @Lisa0710, welcome to the forums!

Next, it's an advisory, not a mandate.  If you fall into the categories of susceptible people (elderly, immunocompromised, underlying health issues), then you may want to take that advice seriously.  I would personally still go if I had a cruise booked (assuming I could get a letter of agreement signed by my petsitter that she'd stay on the job should I end up on a quarantined ship!), because I don't fall into any of those high-risk categories.  The choice is really up to you.  

Happy cruising (whenever that will be!)

33 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

First, @Lisa0710, welcome to the forums!

Next, it's an advisory, not a mandate.  If you fall into the categories of susceptible people (elderly, immunocompromised, underlying health issues), then you may want to take that advice seriously.  I would personally still go if I had a cruise booked (assuming I could get a letter of agreement signed by my petsitter that she'd stay on the job should I end up on a quarantined ship!), because I don't fall into any of those high-risk categories.  The choice is really up to you.  

Happy cruising (whenever that will be!)

We're going on Freedom on Mar 22 out of San Juan and we always kennel our dogs. Since its Spring Break, the kennels are usually completely full with a waiting list in Mar / April and they probably don't want to hold our dogs for 2 more weeks. The cost would be pretty ugly.  If your a normal healthy adult you should be good to go. That's our plan at least.

We are still going on our Aprill 11th SOTS cruise. I have asthama, and I am still going.  I'm going to bring a doctors note, as a precaution because of my breathing and oxygen level sometimes. I always  travel with a portable nebulizer. With 4 grown kids, it's hard to be in the same place at the same time.  We are ready to go!

We were just on the Symphony of the Seas last week out of Miami.  The ship was full. No health questionnaires to fill and no screening of any kind.  I have to say I was a bit nervous throughout because a lot of people were coughing ( including me ) since the east coast is in full swing cold and flu season.   My nightmare scenario was what happened to the Westerdam or the other ship that had a suspected case and were being denied ports.  I don’t think being QT on a ship is no big deal.  When you see what the folks on the Princess Diamond went through and those on the Westerdam it was awful. Add that to the stress of not knowing what lies ahead ...  I think it was also terrible that the crews were made to work even though they should also be considered potential patients.   Add the logistical nightmare of disembarking ( the ship in Oakland ) and being taken to a military base .... none of it sounds good.  If you feel comfortable with the possibility of this happening then that is certainly your personal decision but it is very possible that no country will want to take responsibility for thousands of potential patients / carriers  after what happened in Japan.   It is possible that the cruise industry might have to take a hiatus if any more ships have cases.   

16 minutes ago, blueship said:

We were just on the Symphony of the Seas last week out of Miami.  The ship was full. No health questionnaires to fill and no screening of any kind.  I have to say I was a bit nervous throughout because a lot of people were coughing ( including me ) since the east coast is in full swing cold and flu season.   My nightmare scenario was what happened to the Westerdam or the other ship that had a suspected case and were being denied ports.  I don’t think being QT on a ship is no big deal.  When you see what the folks on the Princess Diamond went through and those on the Westerdam it was awful. Add that to the stress of not knowing what lies ahead ...  I think it was also terrible that the crews were made to work even though they should also be considered potential patients.   Add the logistical nightmare of disembarking ( the ship in Oakland ) and being taken to a military base .... none of it sounds good.  If you feel comfortable with the possibility of this happening then that is certainly your personal decision but it is very possible that no country will want to take responsibility for thousands of potential patients / carriers  after what happened in Japan.   It is possible that the cruise industry might have to take a hiatus if any more ships have cases.   

Just so you know Starting this past weekend when you got off they started implementing screenings.. They started taking everyones temperature before getting on and doing health screenings.. So I understand what happened to you made you nervous but Royal has addressed this and is fixing it.