When does the last payment need to be made?

@CaptainPanda... As @SpeedNoodles stated, check your invoice or call MEI directly to be 100% sure.

If booked through Royal directly, it's usually 90 days from sail date. 

We used a major travel agency for our next 2 cruises and they require final payment 2 weeks earlier than Royal's policy (90 days + 14 days in our case) to make sure Royal is paid in full and to ensure that there are no issues. 

@CaptainPanda~ when the date draws near I do a last price check also, sometimes the price will drop for who knows what reason, maybe even for a day or two so I lock it in BEFORE final payment, nothing worse then seeing a price drop after that final payment. My TA and I both check...just in case! Have a great sailing :)

I never pay early for just this reason

7 minutes ago, CaptainPanda said:

I don't have an invoice yet, we haven't booked the next cruise. I'm trying to budget things out, and wanted to see if there was a buffer zone.

Gotcha. Well, if you let us know how long your sailing will be and where (ballpark), we should be able to give you a better answer.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Gotcha. Well, if you let us know how long your sailing will be and where (ballpark), we should be able to give you a better answer.

Right on! We're looking at a 6-7 Night Western Caribbean. In late January/early February, if it helps.

Everything I've seen indicates 90 days for cruises longer than 5 days. I'll tell ya -- I'll never again pay in full weeks ahead of the final payment date; the travel agency I booked with before I found this blog and MEI has been a pain ever since they got that money. ?

4 hours ago, Chadster said:

I'll never again pay in full weeks ahead of the final payment date; the travel agency I booked with before I found this blog and MEI has been a pain ever since they got that money. ?

This is probably lesson #1 in the professional cruiser manual.  It is also the first and hardest lesson I learned.  Never, ever pay off a cruise early.  Who would even think such a rule could be “a thing” ? It is.  You just have to learn. Sometimes it’s a hard lesson - but it’s one you never forget !

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is probably lesson #1 in the professional cruiser manual.  It is also the first and hardest lesson I learned.  Never, ever pay off a cruise early.  Who would even think such a rule could be “a thing” ? It is.  You just have to learn. Sometimes it’s a hard lesson - but it’s one you never forget !

As a relatively new cruiser do you mind expanding on your statement I’m not sure I understand the between the lines discussion?

2 hours ago, Tim B. said:

As a relatively new cruiser do you mind expanding on your statement I’m not sure I understand the between the lines discussion?

Once you make final payment on a cruise there it is much less flexible.  For instance, a fully paid cruise cannot be transferred to a travel agent.  Under certain circumstances a fully paid cruise cannot be repriced (this is not 100% true in all cases).  It is always advisable to leave at least a small balance on your cruise until right around final payment just in case you may want to adjust price or make other changes. It just provides flexibility that a fully paid cruise does not.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It is always advisable to leave at least a small balance on your cruise until right around final payment just in case you may want to adjust price or make other changes. It just provides flexibility that a fully paid cruise does not.

This is the situation with us. Do to having our cruised re-priced twice, thank you Danette at MEI, we only owe $250. We are waiting until it's due in July, just in case the price drops more. I think with the uncertainty of the cruise market with the Covid-19, I don't know if it makes sense to pay it off early.