Rhapsody Damaged In Storm

Yesterday morning Rhapsody apparently suffered some substantial damage during a storm off the coast of France.

Taking in seawater? YUCK! That is a far worse situation than a flooded basement. 

Cruise Critic article # 6981 has some further details.

If this in anyway could be humorous. I texted my wife this link. Her response: "See what happens on little ships" ;0)

I have a question, perhaps some here might have an answer.

The Cruise Critic article states 44 passengers departed the ship. We can assume they left because no accommodations were available for them or they simply chose to leave. Seems to me like fair compensation was being given by RCL. Some folks will be able to handle this disappointment better than others. I think a generous olive branch was extended. 

However (and here is my question), 45 passengers were relocated. Relocated where??? Meaning, there were about 20 cabins unoccupied? Well, that could be true but I am of the thought that nearly RCL sailing is at or above capacity; so about 20 idle rooms for this sailing seems unusually high. Did they bunk up with other passengers willing to take in a roomie? If so, were the unaffected passengers either 1) told they had to accept a relocated passenger by RCL or 2) the unaffected passengers compensated in one form or another? What happens in situations when passengers are required to be relocated???

Yes it seems a large wave hit the ship and took out in some form five cabin windows. If not completely gone at least enough to allow ocean water in and to cause damage to those five cabins and the area around them. It was the first night of the cruise repairs were made in port and the ship is cruising again. Yes some passengers have been moved to other cabins and some left the ship. For those who have free time it is a good deal to leave the ship. Full refund plus a future cruise for free. So pend the time from the cruise touring Europe, using the refund and get another cruise later. Sounds like a free vacation to me.

Really many of us think of these ships as big hotels but they are still ships and all the normal problems of ships can and do happen. It happen to Roayl this time next time another line. But it seems Royal handled this one well.

As irritating as that situation would be, not to mention scary, I'm glad that some were able to remain on the ship and finish out their vacation... Even if it had kind of a wet start. Certainly a story to bring home!

• 4 weeks later...

when there are problems with a RCL Cruise - major problems, they'll give you a full refund plus a certificate of credit - in the amount you paid for your Cruise Fare (without port charges and taxes - just the base cost of the cabin). 

You do not get a free future cruise. 

Unfortunately, I know this for a fact.  I sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas back in May 2013 when they had that terrible fire on Deck 3 - the one that burned, and damaged all the way up to Deck 6, and scorched the balcony railing for my Aft Cabin. 

At first we were told by RCL Representatives that we would get a full refund and a Certificate for a Free Future Cruise, we were told that by two different people.  But later on, we were told no - we would only get a certificate in the amount of the actual Cruise Fare.  Since we had a Junior Suite that trip, we did fairly well.  (Well enough that the refund and Cruise Credits allowed us to do a Back to Back the following Spring - a Transatlantic followed by a Norwegian Fjords cruise aboard the Legend).

It's unfortunate that these things happen, but luckily no one was killed or injured, and Royal Caribbean always came through for it's customers.  Not unlike Carnival and what their passengers suffered a number of years ago. 

Korian