Possible gov’t restrictions. Nooo!!!!

Jill

1 hour ago, SteveinSC said:

Just got the call from my wife (nurse) that her doctors are "Freaking out" about her going on a cruise. I dont like where this is headed. Never mind that shes exponentially more likely to come in contact with ANY contagious illness AT WORK than on a cruise.  

Steve, I think this kind of thing is developing very swiftly among the corporate bean counters.  My (and Dan...we both work for the same Firm) corporate rulemakers are suddenly putting all kinds of roadblocks up for personal and business travel.  I think we're going to see a lot of this very soon.

In your wife's case, it is pretty funny...and you are SO right.  She is probably waaay more exposed to God-only-knows-what at work than she would be on a cruise.  Kinda silly, really.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Steve, I think this kind of thing is developing very swiftly among the corporate bean counters.  My (and Dan...we both work for the same Firm) corporate rulemakers are suddenly putting all kinds of roadblocks up for personal and business travel.  I think we're going to see a lot of this very soon.

In your wife's case, it is pretty funny...and you are SO right.  She is probably waaay more exposed to God-only-knows-what at work than she would be on a cruise.  Kinda silly, really.

Protecting payroll and production....

44 minutes ago, KenCP said:

Everyone knew that was coming.

THis is not the first pandemic.  H1N1, Swine, ebola, etc..........

This should not surprise anyone 

We are waiting till someone forces our hand. If my wife's employer forces her to self quarantine upon return, we will have to cancel. Shes the nurse manager and it would be cutting off her nose to spite her face to force them to enforce that. She cant manage clinic remotely, and would have a mountain of work after 3 weeks away. So far its just recommendations from above that she not go....but if this goes further, its a sad state of affairs for the family cruise.  #stillgoing #fornow #positivevibes   

1 hour ago, Mike Stephens said:

I actually had this same idea and I am over 70 and my husband is too with a chronic lung condition.  I don't intend to stop cruising, in fact we have recently booked a Christmas cruise. But this virus is a horse of a different color and we are canceling our 12 night Transatlantic.

1 hour ago, mark52479 said:

This is very interesting article from one of the biggest experts on Coronavirus.

Dont know if it has been posted yet.  

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/coronavirus-expert-says-the-virus-will-burn-itself-out-in-about-6-months/679415

One thing I  got out of the article:

Three things the virus does not like: 1. Sunlight, 2. Temperature, and 3. Humidity," 

therefore, cruising to the Caribbean is the thing to do! ??

3 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Three things the virus does not like: 1. Sunlight, 2. Temperature, and 3. Humidity," 

Well, looking at it as a lay person, as of right now it kind of makes sense.  Look at where the big outbreaks are.  Washington damp and cool and Upstate NY damp and cool.  

Southern regions, yes we still have it down here, but not major outbreaks.  

Down here in Florida a lot of us have UV bulbs in our AC units that kills viruses.  As we go into Spring and Summer the sun gets stronger and the UV from the sun will get stronger.  Hopefully that will stop the spreading and help with containment.  

3 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

We are waiting till someone forces our hand. If my wife's employer forces her to self quarantine upon return, we will have to cancel. Shes the nurse manager and it would be cutting off her nose to spite her face to force them to enforce that. She cant manage clinic remotely, and would have a mountain of work after 3 weeks away. So far its just recommendations from above that she not go....but if this goes further, its a sad state of affairs for the family cruise.  #stillgoing #fornow #positivevibes   

Our government has asked all health care workers to avoid international travel.... that's both my husband and I. Didnt have much of a choice to cancel.

15 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

One thing for certain,   the claims made in this articles has not been proven............yet!

There's alot of false claims out there... 

I have yet to see from WHO and CDC to put out a positive claim to the media of what the virus doesn't like.

20 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

One thing for certain,   the claims made in this articles has not been proven............yet!

I have yet to see from WHO and CDC to put out a positive claim to the media of what the virus doesn't like.

Well since it's so new they have nothing to go on. Only thing they can do is try to compare it. 

But, saying that, scientifically, it makes sense. UV is known to kill all viruses and bacteria. And dense air when it is humid viruses cant travel that far. All of that is a fact. 

hey guys. we decided to postpone our cruise to march break 2021 on the harmony . we were suppoed to be on feedom april 19th from san juan. 

too bad because this was supposed to be our first cruise and we bring our children  8 months and 5 yrs old. this anxiety was too much to handle. 

we are now still heading to puerto rico april 13 for a week....  now lets hope that will work ......

I have some “insider” info from a former high up officer with RCCL. I asked if he thought Royal would follow Princess: 

I dont think Royal will at this point but you never know.  They laid off some contractors today but other projects like dry dock for Allure still happening.  Things will get dicey at the end of the month when ships are due to reposition to Med and Alaska.  I think Princess had to as they have had 5 ships impacted and did not stop crew from moving amongst fleet.  If I hear anything I will let you know.  

24 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

The problem with the warm weather theory is it's gonna get cold in the southern hemisphere and people travel everywhere.

Princess Cruise lines has suspended global operations. Others will follow. Royal may be next. We were so looking forward to Oasis in May to Coco Cay. 

Yeah I have a may trip on oasis I am on the fence about myself. 

20 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Princess Cruise lines has suspended global operations. Others will follow. Royal may be next. 

Hmmm....I dunno about that. There's no indication as of yet, that other lines are contemplating such measures; they trying increasingly hard to weather the circumstance. Princess on the hand has been hit with incident after incident after incident, that very difficult to recover from in the public eye, in the mist of a fluid situation. Their struggles no doubt may ultimately help precipitate the collapsing industry; but, it just seem other major lines are trying to better position themselves for the long haul.

However, you may ultimately be proven right....there's a number of people who share that sentiment.

4 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Hmmm....I dunno about that. There's no indication as of yet, that other lines are contemplating such measures; they trying increasingly hard to weather the circumstance. Princess on the hand has been hit with incident after incident after incident, that very difficult to recover from in the public eye, in the mist of a fluid situation. Their struggles no doubt may ultimately help precipitate the collapsing industry; but, it just seem other major lines are trying to better position themselves for the long haul.

However, you may ultimately be proven right....there's a number of people who share that sentiment.

You make good points and I hope you are right. I want to go in May. Been looking forward to this since last July. So looking forward to Coco Cay! Viking cruises shut down to. 

1 minute ago, RCIfan1912 said:

You make good points and I hope you are right. I want to go in May. Been looking forward to this since last July. So looking forward to Coco Cay! Viking cruises shut down to. 

I'm right there with you...we have two cruise coming up. One in several weeks the other later in the year...which will be our 1st experience, hopefully, of Coco Cay. We missed out on it this past September on Symphony, because of the Hurricane...it did not re-open before our schedule stop there; so, we missed out. Our biggest concern has now graduated from possible quarantine on a ship to possible 14-day force quarantine by employers....everything is fluid & unfortunate.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

I have some “insider” info from a former high up officer with RCCL. I asked if he thought Royal would follow Princess: 

I dont think Royal will at this point but you never know.  They laid off some contractors today but other projects like dry dock for Allure still happening.  Things will get dicey at the end of the month when ships are due to reposition to Med and Alaska.  I think Princess had to as they have had 5 ships impacted and did not stop crew from moving amongst fleet.  If I hear anything I will let you know.  

That was my thought too.. They have no reason to stop Caribbean sailings and they might as well make a decision in April when ships get moved around.. There really is no reason for them to stop now.. Like your insider said Princess had a PR nightmare and had no choice.. Royal has not had that problem thank god. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Princess Cruise lines has suspended global operations.

Princess Cruises has not had the best track record.  They have experienced the most norovirus outbreaks (and other gastrointestinal illnesses) of any other cruise line over the last decade. 
https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

1 hour ago, mark52479 said:

With Disney now canceling, you have to figure ALL will soon follow.

I would think by weekend Royal will also suspend operations.

I don't think so they just sent out emails for the new protocol beginning March 16.. Why would they do that if they were just going to cancel