Possible gov’t restrictions. Nooo!!!!

Jill

20 minutes ago, gi333 said:

we are supposed to cruise from 19 to 26 apr from san juan. ou return flight is 26 apr and we are goin there th 13 apr. because of this we have to change our plan and will cost us more money to return early or get a condo for second week.     thats why i am fighting with my travel insurrance. i am not blaming rccl because they are nice enought to give credit. 

What are you trying to claim under with your travel insurance?  You deciding not to go isn't typically a covered reason unless you have Cancel For Any Reason coverage on your policy.  

we are arguing the additionnal expenses .  canada government issued a travel advisory recommending not to go on cruise. the insurrance said if they would issued a travel advisory for the country where it leaving from it would be covered.  But we are talking about a boat here. it must leave from a country right?   they are saying that even if government says dont go on cuise its not covered. if goverment says dont go to puerto rico then covered......you see the non sense here?    because of this and if i listen to my country advise and would have to either come back home the 19 apr and loose flight the 26 or come back 26 and pay extra to find a place to stay.

1 hour ago, gi333 said:

we are arguing the additionnal expenses .  canada government issued a travel advisory recommending not to go on cruise. the insurrance said if they would issued a travel advisory for the country where it leaving from it would be covered.  But we are talking about a boat here. it must leave from a country right?   they are saying that even if government says dont go on cuise its not covered. if goverment says dont go to puerto rico then covered......you see the non sense here?    because of this and if i listen to my country advise and would have to either come back home the 19 apr and loose flight the 26 or come back 26 and pay extra to find a place to stay.

Ahhh..I don't have much familiarity with Canadian insurance practices.  I know my annual policy specifically excludes 

Acts, travel alerts/bulletins, or prohibitions by any government or public authority;

I know different countries have different levels of consumer protection, though.

My policy does have coverage for quarantines, however.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Ahhh..I don't have much familiarity with Canadian insurance practices.  I know my annual policy specifically excludes 

I know different countries have different levels of consumer protection, though.

My policy does have coverage for quarantines, however.

My Trip Cancellation/Interruption insurance policy states

"A Government of Canada Travel Advisory is issued during your trip, or after you purchased your insurance but before your departure date, advising Canadians to avoid all or non-essential travel to a destination included in your trip."

I have confirmed with my insurer and they said a cruise ship is not considered a destination.  It will need to be a country or port of call.

There is also an exclusion on my policy:
"An event when, on the purchase date as shown on your confirmation, you or your travel companion knew, or it was a reasonable to expect, may eventually prevent you from going on or completing your trip as booked."

So as of March 5, 2020, my insurer will not pay for any Trip Cancellation/Interruption losses related to COVID-19 as it is considered a known event.  So anyone who did not purchase a plan prior to March 5th, will not have coverage for COVID-19. 

56 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I think a more important question to ask is when are people going to start thinking about suing Japan for the questionable decision to force on ship quarantines and how many extra cases and deaths resulted directly from that decision.  Seems a logical falacy to push for government mandated action by pointing to an 'outbreak' of 700 cases on one ship when the only reason for the magnitude of the outbreak was inept government mandated action (IMO).

I suspect Mr. Azar feel pressure to do something...not necessarily from the President(he feels the risk to America remains low), but from public opinion...which is not a sound reason to take action. Action should be taken based on hard numbers & facts...given that members of the WH Staff don't agree with Mr. Azar suggestion, is enough to say, the President does not agree with those measures either. I can't get over the fact that there appear to be some debating of those measures; so yes, it was considered. I personally, don't see shutting down the cruise industry will help alleviate the spread of this virus. Subway & Airlines are more culpable; and, I don't see a need to shut them down either. I think people are starting to take the onset of this virus much more serious, and are take measures to ensure their own behalf. Is it enough, are there still cracks in the defense...yeah sure; but, it appear more & more people are aware & taking personal measures....that's a good thing. Think Mr. Azar may be moving a little fast, if he enact those measure...I suspect he won't, given the latest press conf. by the President & VP.

We are booked on Rhapsody April 4th.   We are going to ride this out until maybe a week ahead of time then we have to decide.   I think the entire situation is blown all out of proportion by the fear mongering media.   We are not concerned with getting sick but am concerned about some idiot getting a simple runny nose, running to the ships medical, and somehow getting the entire ship quarantined for 2 weeks.   That would be kind of detrimental to both our jobs.    I really feel bad for the cruise industry right now.   If all else fails we are already booked to fly to Florida for the cruise.....we can adjust our airfare and still hang out in Florida for a few days.   

49 minutes ago, klc317 said:

We are booked on Rhapsody April 4th.   We are going to ride this out until maybe a week ahead of time then we have to decide.   I think the entire situation is blown all out of proportion by the fear mongering media.   We are not concerned with getting sick but am concerned about some idiot getting a simple runny nose, running to the ships medical, and somehow getting the entire ship quarantined for 2 weeks.   That would be kind of detrimental to both our jobs.    I really feel bad for the cruise industry right now.   If all else fails we are already booked to fly to Florida for the cruise.....we can adjust our airfare and still hang out in Florida for a few days.   

Theyre going to have to cancel on us. My parents are considering canceling/rescheduling.....but still not definite. Theyre going to wait and see, as the 48 hour policy is a nice security blanket. As for us, if they cancel on us, we already paid for a hotel and our kids are out of school for the week....we too figure we will do SOMETHING if we cant cruise! But, I suspect the hysteria will die off some by then (even though the actual virus and spreading wont). 

55 minutes ago, klc317 said:

Italy just took a drastic step of total lockdown because its hospitals are overwhelmed with cases.  Not sure you can blame that on a fear mongering media. If anything maybe it proves the media right in being hyper focused on this.  I don’t think the issue in Italy will by any means stay confined to Italy.

But best of luck on your cruise. I have a vacation planned in a couple of weeks to France/Germany and my fingers are also crossed that it can go forward. 

13 minutes ago, berkeleykel said:

Italy just took a drastic step of total lockdown because its hospitals are overwhelmed with cases.  Not sure you can blame that on a fear mongering media. If anything maybe it proves the media right in being hyper focused on this.  I don’t think the issue in Italy will by any means stay confined to Italy.

But best of luck on your cruise. I have a vacation planned in a couple of weeks to France/Germany and my fingers are also crossed that it can go forward. 

My daughter is in Prague right now and she texted me that the premier cancelled all schools and there can be not gatherings over 100.  I hope you make your trip to France/Germany.

It's interesting to hear all the anti-cruise rhetoric from the media and people who listen to them.  

I came back from my last cruise on Feb 1.  I felt fine all day traveling, but when we were on the bus a couple hours from home, I started feeling miserable.  By the time we arrived at the local station, I had to be helped out to my truck, and my son had to drive us home.  On Feb 2, I tested positive for Influenza...then I tried to go back to work too soon and got pneumonia, but that's another story.

All of the doctors I interacted with were of the same thought...cruising isn't as big a deal as flying.  My own doctor told me that she sees many people who get sick after flying or being in contact with someone who recently flew.  

If we were lucky enough to be able to cruise in the next few months, the only thing I'd consider doing differently is driving to the port instead of flying.  I would cruise in a heartbeat if we could get the time off with such short notice.

15 minutes ago, AndrewPunch said:

They are raising the prices on future cruises so that credit might not go as far as you think.

You are right! I just priced a cruise that I priced last week and it has gone up $300.00.

Can someone tell me how the credit works? I haven't been able to get through to cancel my cruise yet so I don't know what to expect. If I have another cruise I want to book, do I have to pay the $900.00 deposit and then wait for the credit to come in the mail to pay the remainder? Or should I wait until I get the credit and will it cover the deposit?

16 minutes ago, AndrewPunch said:

They are raising the prices on future cruises so that credit might not go as far as you think.

They have always had dynamic pricing per sailing (same room, same ship, same date would fluctuate...usually up until 90 days out) and same room, same ship, different date also was also a different price....so should be no surprise to anyone if the next cruise is more expensive....especially now that there is significant more demand for the same amount of rooms ?

16 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

You are right! I just priced a cruise that I priced last week and it has gone up $300.00.

Can someone tell me how the credit works? I haven't been able to get through to cancel my cruise yet so I don't know what to expect. If I have another cruise I want to book, do I have to pay the $900.00 deposit and then wait for the credit to come in the mail to pay the remainder? Or should I wait until I get the credit and will it cover the deposit?

It depends on how quickly you want to book the replacement cruise.  If you want to lock something in right away (advisable) then yes, you would have to front the down payment and then apply the FCC once they are delivered.  Certainly, you can wait until the FCC are delivered and THEN book your replacement cruise but every day that you wait the prices are likely to increase as everyone else is also trying to reschedule their cruise.  Remember that @twangster told us, FCC canNOT be used for taxes or ports fees so no matter what, the FCC will not pay for everything.  There is going to be some out-of-pocket expense no matter how much the FCC is.  Conversely, the taxes and ports fees from the original cruise will have already been credited to the original form of payment, so it's something of an overall "wash".

Well yesterday was interesting for us.  Unfortunately for us, its not the CDC recommendations stopping us from our 5 Apr cruise...Its Work!!!  We are cruising with our son and family.  Yesterday our sons boss informed him he would be required to self quarantine for 14 days after he returns.  Barb who is an RN found out yesterday also that she will have to self quarantine for 14 days after we get home.  I work for Uncle Sam and so far have no requirement to self quarantine...YET.   

So since Royal has offed the 48 hour cancellation rule...We are going to chill and see what develops.   Then decide if we want to cancel or spend the extra leave.

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It depends on how quickly you want to book the replacement cruise.  If you want to lock something in right away (advisable) then yes, you would have to front the down payment and then apply the FCC once they are delivered.  Certainly, you can wait until the FCC are delivered and THEN book your replacement cruise but every day that you wait the prices are likely to increase as everyone else is also trying to reschedule their cruise.  Remember that @twangster told us, FCC canNOT be used for taxes or ports fees so no matter what, the FCC will not pay for everything.  There is going to be some out-of-pocket expense no matter how much the FCC is.  Conversely, the taxes and ports fees from the original cruise will have already been credited to the original form of payment, so it's something of an overall "wash".

Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering how this would work.

Do you happen to know that if you booked through Costco Travel it would be the same thing?  So if I cancel and change my cruise through Costco I would still have to pay the new deposit and wait for the FCC?  And I can apply the FCC through costco? Or do I do that through Royal themselves?

thank you

I'm sorry.  I am not familiar at all with CostCo or how their policies work.  I originally thought that the FCC would have to be applied through the agency but I have read subsequent posts that now lead me to believe that the FCCs do NOT have to go through the agency.  I do not know for sure which is true.  I have always just had my TA do all of the footwork with applying FCC but I do not know if you MUST use the original TA or not.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm sorry.  I am not familiar at all with CostCo or how their policies work.  I originally thought that the FCC would have to be applied through the agency but I have read subsequent posts that now lead me to believe that the FCCs do NOT have to go through the agency.  I do not know for sure which is true.  I have always just had my TA do all of the footwork with applying FCC but I do not know if you MUST use the original TA or not.

Thank you

13 minutes ago, mark52479 said:

Do you happen to know that if you booked through Costco Travel it would be the same thing?  So if I cancel and change my cruise through Costco I would still have to pay the new deposit and wait for the FCC?  And I can apply the FCC through costco? Or do I do that through Royal themselves?

thank you

When you use a travel agent you must use the travel agent for all FCC or cancellation related activities.  

To cancel the existing cruise call your travel agent.  To inquire about any FCC you will receive or when it might be issued you must continue to call your travel agent.  Once the FCC has been issued the FCC is yours, not your travel agents, it isn't bound to that travel agent.

To book a new cruise you don't have to continue using the same travel agent.  You could book through a different agent and using the confirmation number of the cancelled cruise they should be able to locate your FCC assuming the FCC has already been issued. 

Your new agent can't inquire when your anticipated FCC will be issued, only your original travel agent can do that.  If you use the same travel agency then it isn't an issue.

2 hours ago, teddy said:

It's interesting to hear all the anti-cruise rhetoric from the media and people who listen to them.  

I came back from my last cruise on Feb 1.  I felt fine all day traveling, but when we were on the bus a couple hours from home, I started feeling miserable.  By the time we arrived at the local station, I had to be helped out to my truck, and my son had to drive us home.  On Feb 2, I tested positive for Influenza...then I tried to go back to work too soon and got pneumonia, but that's another story.

All of the doctors I interacted with were of the same thought...cruising isn't as big a deal as flying.  My own doctor told me that she sees many people who get sick after flying or being in contact with someone who recently flew.  

If we were lucky enough to be able to cruise in the next few months, the only thing I'd consider doing differently is driving to the port instead of flying.  I would cruise in a heartbeat if we could get the time off with such short notice.

I could not agree more.  We are cruising April 5th from Miami.  We are driving from NC to Miami, not because of the virus scare but because I can't stand flying.  No control over when you leave, when you can stop, how much you can pack, etc.  Ugh!  Not to mention the germs floating around in all that recycled air.  No thanks!  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

When you use a travel agent you must use the travel agent for all FCC or cancellation related activities.  

To cancel the existing cruise call your travel agent.  To inquire about any FCC you will receive or when it might be issued you must continue to call your travel agent.  Once the FCC has been issued the FCC is yours, not your travel agents, it isn't bound to that travel agent.

To book a new cruise you don't have to continue using the same travel agent.  You could book through a different agent and using the confirmation number of the cancelled cruise they should be able to locate your FCC assuming the FCC has already been issued. 

Your new agent can't inquire when your anticipated FCC will be issued, only your original travel agent can do that.  If you use the same travel agency then it isn't an issue.

Thank you so much!!!

1 hour ago, Flacruiser99 said:

I the past you could not use an FCC for a deposit. I'm not sure how it works with the new 48hr cancellation policy

It's still the same.  You have to have an existing booking to apply a FCC to it.  In order to create the booking the deposit has to be put up so effectively the FCC can't really be used towards a deposit.  If you are booking past final payment, you can go back and have them refund you with the FCC if you want to take the time to have them do that.

2 hours ago, mark52479 said:

Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering how this would work.

thank you

I was just listening to the webcast Vicki Freed does for Travel agents... This question was answered.. Unfortunately their computer systems make you put down a deposit and the FCC cant be used for a deposit... Now here is another annoying example.. Lets say the cruise you want to move to is $900 and you have an FCC for $1000.. You still have to put down the deposit and you can use the entire FCC but they will have to refund you back your deposit.. It makes no sense and very annoying.. 

1 hour ago, AGSLC5 said:

It makes no sense and very annoying.. 

They also state over and over again that the FCC has to be used for a new booking.  Well technically you have to put this deposit down to create a booking to apply the FCC..and then there's no definition of what a "new booking" is and this leaves it so you can apply your FCC to anything that still needs a payment.

19 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Well yesterday was interesting for us.  Unfortunately for us, its not the CDC recommendations stopping us from our 5 Apr cruise...Its Work!!!  We are cruising with our son and family.  Yesterday our sons boss informed him he would be required to self quarantine for 14 days after he returns.  Barb who is an RN found out yesterday also that she will have to self quarantine for 14 days after we get home.  I work for Uncle Sam and so far have no requirement to self quarantine...YET.   

So since Royal has offed the 48 hour cancellation rule...We are going to chill and see what develops.   Then decide if we want to cancel or spend the extra leave.

We are supposed to cruise March 30, we have the same situation.  3 of our group are being told they will have to self quarantine if they go.  Sadly we are being forced to cancel and take FCC.  This was going to be a first cruise for most of our group.  ? 

5 hours ago, Diane.M said:

We are supposed to cruise March 30, we have the same situation.  3 of our group are being told they will have to self quarantine if they go.  Sadly we are being forced to cancel and take FCC.  This was going to be a first cruise for most of our group.  ? 

Personally, from what I've been gathering for the last week, Cruise lines knew such "suggested" policy would come down pike, ahead of eventual government mandate....which is the reason why I suspect, cruise lines have take such measures, like what cruise lines are offering..."Cruise with Confidence" for an example. This allow them to get ahead of the curve & try to minimize some of their losses, before more draconian measures eventually goes in effect, as thing proceed to worsen. So yes, I do suspect cruise lines knew businesses, would start enforcing "self quarantine" of their employees if the travel abroad or not...which would lead to some percentage of cancellation. Airlines are facing the same situation, no doubt, reason why they had started reducing the number of flights in service since early February...less non-stop & more 1 & 2 stop flights. Also, they will be getting some assistance from the government, no doubt, in the form of "Government Backing"

6 hours ago, Diane.M said:

Just got the call from my wife (nurse) that her doctors are "Freaking out" about her going on a cruise. I dont like where this is headed. Never mind that shes exponentially more likely to come in contact with ANY contagious illness AT WORK than on a cruise.  

i am in a little dillema. If i cancel my cruise my insurance wont cover my additional expenses like returning earlier from destination for example. we are arving in puerto rico 13 apr and suppse to come back apr 26 . supposed to have a cruise from 19 apr to 26.  

if lets say the cruise line would cancel the cruise then insurance supposed to cover some cost ....

do you guys think its possible that cruise will cancel before i go ahead and do it myself so i dont get screwed afterwards?

i hope i am clear.....  thanks