Annnd we're back...while we were gone...Royal update their cancel policy

15 hours ago, gi333 said:

We are cruising April 19 from san juan with wife and kids. It's our first cruise. We are arriving in San Juan the 13 and took a condo. We are supposed to fly back the 26. Now if no cruise we are screwed over for the second week there. Insurance won't cover if you decide to cancel your cruise. The insurance would help if the company decided to cancel. But question is when would they take this decision. It's doesn't gives us plenty of time to do plan b.... This situation sucks especially when I booked back in August. Don't have a clue what to do. 

Cruises aren’t being cancelled 

8 hours ago, Jachar said:

Totally sympathise with this situation as customers they take none of this into account regarding parking arrangements, ordering travel money etc.

Waiting in limbo is not nice puts a proper dampener on a holiday you may have been very excited about for a long time. 

Waiting in limbo?? I don’t understand your issue. What are you waiting for?

27 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Cruises aren’t being cancelled 

Some have in Asia for example and we are still a little way out for Europe for them to do so.

I'm waiting to see if they cancel my cruise from Rome.  Be easier and more flexible than a FCC.  If not then we will either go (looks more unlikely by the day given the state of italy) or just take the FCC.  But I'm guessing a 80%+ chance of a cancel based on what I'm reading so will wait and see. 

20 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Agree just good publicity  and on the surface it appears a good thing to offer, but the greatest beneficiary is themselves. 

Sorry but I have to disagree. The individuals that  are not comfortable traveling can now choose to travel at a later, more comfortable time without losing thousands of dollars. I’d say that makes the consumer a pretty big beneficiary. 

On 3/7/2020 at 9:12 PM, TXcruzer said:

Sorry but I have to disagree. The individuals that  are not comfortable traveling can now choose to travel at a later, more comfortable time without losing thousands of dollars. I’d say that makes the consumer a pretty big beneficiary. 

Many people choose a cruise due to the price point and Itinerary, do you really expect the same cruise to be available next year at the same price - I know of many who would rather have their money back in their banks that sitting in RC's. 

Today the Centers for Disease Control issued the following advisory: "CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide."

Also, "Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."

Here's the source:   https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

I think cruises may be cancelled. I cancelled my cruise and got 25% back as a refund and the rest as Future Cruise Credit.

12 hours ago, DaiC01 said:

Many people choose a cruise due to the price point and Itinerary, do you really expect the same cruise to be available next year at the same price - I know of many who would rather have their money back in their banks that sitting in RC's. 

Well sure I’d rather have the cash back as well (no way I’d be cancelling however) but this just isn’t happening. The industry is making a very noble effort in the offer they are making especially when, contractually they don’t have to offer anything if you choose not to cruise. 
It may not be exactly what you want but it is still very generous. 

I booked the cruise via Costco Travel. So if I decide to cancel it (based on new policy, I will get the FCC), should I call Costco Travel or call the Cruise support line?

Another question: If I get the FCC, will it be associated with the agency (Costco Travel)? That is, in the future, if I want to book cruise, do I must use Costco Travel or can I book it on RCL site directly?

Thanks!

Welcome to the blog !

Since you are booked through a travel agency, you must do everything through them. That’s a very good question about whether the Agency will have control over the FCC.  My guess is, yes, they will have control over the FCC and they will have to apply the FCC to whatever future booking you make.

30 minutes ago, aberfoylespring said:

I booked the cruise via Costco Travel. So if I decide to cancel it (based on new policy, I will get the FCC), should I call Costco Travel or call the Cruise support line?

Another question: If I get the FCC, will it be associated with the agency (Costco Travel)? That is, in the future, if I want to book cruise, do I must use Costco Travel or can I book it on RCL site directly?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!

You need to call Costco Travel to initiate the process.

Also ... RE:  the FCC, you may need to ask Royal to confirm that you can use it with a new Costco cruise booking, but you *should* be able to.  I had a similar issue several years ago with a cancelled sailing on Empress that Royal whacked 10 days before departure.  We are airline employees, and usually book via ID90 travel (or another interline agency where the rates are highly discounted for us).  The cancellation got us an FCC of around $200, and originally I was told it had to be redeemed through Royal.  I called again, and explained that the ID90 rates we get are better than the rack rate usually available, so if we HAD to book directly next time, it really wasn't much compensation if I could just book a cheaper rate with ID90 without the voucher.  Royal agreed, and clarified that I could use the FCC with another ID90 travel agency booking.  So if they tell you no, ask again, and reference my story ?

8 hours ago, aberfoylespring said:

If I get the FCC, will it be associated with the agency (Costco Travel)? That is, in the future, if I want to book cruise, do I must use Costco Travel or can I book it on RCL site directly?

It is my understanding that Costco just serves as your travel agent.  You can rebook your cruise with whoever you like.  The FCC will be issued in your name and you can choose to apply it a cruise you book with anyone.  You should get an email with the FCC number on it and the amount once it has been processed.  

11 hours ago, tiny blonde said:

Today the Centers for Disease Control issued the following advisory: "CDC recommends travelers, particularly those with underlying health issues, defer all cruise ship travel worldwide."

Also, "Older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships."

Here's the source:   https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/covid-19-cruise-ship

I think cruises may be cancelled. I cancelled my cruise and got 25% back as a refund and the rest as Future Cruise Credit.

I will say point blank -- if this is still in effect on August 2nd and the reality of the situation isn't any worse than it is right now, i will be boarding my cruise ship. I'm neither elderly nor at increased risk, nor is anyone in my family who's traveling with me. I've waited too long for this bucket list cruise, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let fear of a virus stop me from living my life.

Absolutely no one knows when their ticket is going to be punched, no matter how careful you are. Stupid as it may sound, Luke Perry's unexpected death at nearly the same age I am now made me realize I have to stop putting things off until it's a "safer" or "better" or "more opportune" time. To paraphrase The Shawshank Redemption, I've decided to get busy living rather than get busy dying.

Yes, if this turns into a full-blown pandemic come August, with people dropping like flies and the world gone to hell in a handbasket, then I'm SOL and trip has to be canceled. But I imagine if it comes to that, I'll have too much else on my mind to be too PO'ed about canceling my cruise. But I will still be PO'ed.

@WAAAYTOOO@PurdueFlyer@AshleyDillo

Thanks for your answers and help!

I called Costco Travel then Shore Excursions  in the morning, here are the outputs:

1) Taxes and fees will be refunded; Cruise charge will be FCC. RCL will send me an email about the FCC, and I can use it with any agents or RCL directly (of course, Costco Travel's agent said they expected me to book with them?). Cancellation email from Costco was received. Waiting for email from RCL about FCC.

2) I also booked excursions via Shore Excursions  group (Costco Travel's Partner). Had to call them directly, because Costco Travel's agent could not access the excursions. No hassle, they cancelled and will refund (email was received immediately), although the excursions are within 14 days.

My family looked forward to the trip next week (Oasis, hhhhh????), but had to press the STOP button. I think 90% or 99% the trip will be fine, but we just cannot take the risk because of the vulnerability of elders and kids in the family. 

Oh, the only "complaint" is the waiting time. I was on the call for 2-hour 16-minutes!! then finally spoke to the agent.?

19 minutes ago, aberfoylespring said:

Oh, the only "complaint" is the waiting time. I was on the call for 2-hour 16-minutes!! then finally spoke to the agent.?

I'm sure they are pretty overwhelmed these days with calls. And I'm sure the calls are not one question and on to the next caller.

20 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I think a more important question to ask is this

"If my cruise is cancelled and I get FCCC....can I apply that to the balance owed on an existing booking I already have"  ?

My understanding is, yes.  I’ve received 2 sets of FCC here recently and in both cases I was able to apply them to cruises already booked.  I have no reason to think that these CV-related FCCs would be any different but I don’t know that, for sure.

with me i am high risk candidate according to the guidelines from CDC but i am not going to live in a bubble.  i leave in less than a month for a 10 night Caribbean sailing and my suitcase is packed and cant wait for some much needed relaxation.  after that will be back a short time then off for European cruise with some time on land before and after cruise.  i am by far not elderly and continue plan on enjoying life to the fullest.  heck maybe the ship will be so empty thats more for me to enjoy without chaos.  i personally cant be in dry dock too long and if i am going to get sick it could be literally anywhere whether home based or cruise based.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I will say point blank -- if this is still in effect on August 2nd and the reality of the situation isn't any worse than it is right now, i will be boarding my cruise ship. I'm neither elderly nor at increased risk, nor is anyone in my family who's traveling with me. I've waited too long for this bucket list cruise, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let fear of a virus stop me from living my life.

Absolutely no one knows when their ticket is going to be punched, no matter how careful you are. Stupid as it may sound, Luke Perry's unexpected death at nearly the same age I am now made me realize I have to stop putting things off until it's a "safer" or "better" or "more opportune" time. To paraphrase The Shawshank Redemption, I've decided to get busy living rather than get busy dying.

Yes, if this turns into a full-blown pandemic come August, with people dropping like flies and the world gone to hell in a handbasket, then I'm SOL and trip has to be canceled. But I imagine if it comes to that, I'll have too much else on my mind to be too PO'ed about canceling my cruise. But I will still be PO'ed.

Hi @JLMoran 100% +1 HOWEVER!!! You are overlooking one major detail and it is why we cancelled our cruise for next week, the mandatory QT that may occur, even if you are not sick. With our son being in Honors Math, H. English, and H. Biology as a freshman in HS, we felt we couldn't risk a QT situation. Once again, not afraid of the virus. Very very annoyed from the hysteria. Once again, good luck everyone driving to work, errands, and the grocery store. You have a greater chance of being killed or hurt in your car than you do from Covid-19. Let's get some perspective people! @JLMoran if we were not traveling during the school year or didn't have our son (love him, by the way!), we would still take this trip.

Edited by Baked Alaska
grammar police

8 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

HOWEVER!!! You are overlooking one major detail and it is why we cancelled our cruise for next week, the mandatory QT that may occur, even if you are not sick.

This is a possibility, yes, but a gamble I'm willing to take. Partly because of the expiration date on Royal's / Celebrity's 48-hour cancellation offer -- July 31, two days before my sail date. This says to me that even they are expecting that by this time the madness is going to have settled down. If it doesn't, I would expect to see an update that the offer has been extended through August / September / whenever.

To your specific comment about school timing -- My high schooler doesn't start until after Labor Day, while my daughter in college starts Sept 2. Her college is literally 10 minutes from our house, so if we got held on the ship for whatever reason, we'd still be home (just) in time for her to pack up her things and move back in to her dorm, or she could just commute for a few days while we got settled back down and wait to move until that weekend.

I will say that the one part of a potential quarantine that bothers me is that we're staying in inside cabins for this cruise. Like the guy in that video shared here a while back said, I can't imagine being stuck in a comparative broom closet with no windows or fresh air will be any kind of fun. But, I would also expect that by the time we sail all of the cruise lines will have come up with much more effective protocols for quarantine that will give guests in the inside cabins improved chances to get outside for fresh air and sunshine breaks while still saying effectively isolated from others and keeping any spread under control.

22 minutes ago, JennyB said:

am i the only one who wishes I had the time and a bit of extra money now to go on one of the cruises that people are now NOT going on?  do you think they'll drop prices to try to get others to cruise as people cancel?

?‍♀️  I only wish I had the time off to take advantage the cheaper last minute pricing.

29 minutes ago, Nemmie said:

I have cruise coming up in June, final payment in 10 days and I simply don't know what to do. Anyone else in this situation where the cruise seems far out but you're having to make a decision now to commit or not?

You are aware that Royal has changed its cancellation policy, right ?  You can now cancel as late as 48 hours prior to sailing and receive Future Cruise Credits for your cruise fare, regardless of whether it’s refundable or non-refundable.  Of course, your only option to get a full cash refund is still to cancel prior to final payment date and have booked a fully refundable cruise fare...

1 hour ago, JennyB said:

am i the only one who wishes I had the time and a bit of extra money now to go on one of the cruises that people are now NOT going on?  do you think they'll drop prices to try to get others to cruise as people cancel?

No. An extra grand and an extra week of vacation time and I'd be gone tomorrow... Scratch that, today!

Just now, AndrewPunch said:

Talked with my TA today.  He said he is noticing that prices for 2021 cruises have gone up 10-20% depending on the cruise.  So, that future cruise credit might not go as far as you think.

Noticed the day they announced their temp cancellation policy that an ALMOST identical sailing was $2k greater than the one I just cancelled.