Carnival updated cancellation policy due to Covid-19

I saw an article on Cruise Fever this morning indicating that Carnival has changed their cancellation policy because of the current Covid situation. They are allowing guests with sailings scheduled from today through May 31 to reschedule their booking, and they receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the non-refundable cancellation fee. If people decide to stay with their booking, they will receive a small onboard credit. I wonder if other lines will follow this precedent.

https://cruisefever.net/carnival-cruise-line-updates-cancellation-booking-policy/

Wherever Carnival does its PR marketing hiring is where RCL should be looking to do theirs...  I have never once even visited a Carnival website... They must follow me on Facebook or here? They know that I bleed RCL as far as loyalty and man starting in the middle of the night contacted me repeatedly (saying they were travel agents?)... Telling me why I should chose them over us? Describing all the nice things they are doing that RCL isn't... RCL has stepped to the plate with free cancellations up to 48 hours from go time...  They havn't done the OBC (yet) but they have been pretty good about upgrading those that paid high originally (me included)...  I blame this whole mess on the press... Greedy bastard media over sensationalizing  and over hyping this into a panic inducing frenzy. Some say its political? I think its just to draw views and increase their advertising revenues  while not caring what damage it does to industries and entire economies alike... 

13 hours ago, T.FF said:

Would anyone know what it means by having a credit in the amount of the "non-refundable cancellation fee" if we choose to move the date? Is it going to be the full amount we already paid? ?

If you look at the cancellation policy for your cruise it is usually tiered meaning that the further out you cancel after your final payment date, thus the less you lose.  This link shows the cancellation penalty amounts:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/booking-cancellation-refund-policy

So typically if you cancel a cruise past the final payment mark but before 30 days you can get a partial refund.

If your cruise falls under the qualifications of the Cruise with Confidence policy (sail date before July 31, 2020) and you choose to cancel you will get back the penalty amount in the form of a FCC.  You would be refunded the rest to your original form of payment.

You also will get back the $100 charge to your deposits as FCC for cancellation/changing your sailing if you had the non-refundable deposit.

4 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you look at the cancellation policy for your cruise it is usually tiered meaning that the further out you cancel after your final payment date, thus the less you lose.  This link shows the cancellation penalty amounts:

So typically if you cancel a cruise past the final payment mark but before 30 days you can get a partial refund.

If your cruise falls under the qualifications of the Cruise with Confidence policy (sail date before July 31, 2020) and you choose to cancel you will get back the penalty amount in the form of a FCC.  You would be refunded the rest to your original form of payment.

You also will get back the $100 charge to your deposits as FCC for cancellation/changing your sailing if you had the non-refundable deposit.

But if it is less than 30 days and you cancel you get the ENTIRE amount as a FCC is that correct?  Is that how I am reading it with this new policy?

Just now, mark52479 said:

But if it is less than 30 days and you cancel you get the ENTIRE amount as a FCC is that correct?  Is that how I am reading it with this new policy?

Yes!  The penalty after 30 days is 100% so the new policy will cover that.  Each person will get a FCC in their name in the amount of their cruise fare.  Keep in mind if you booked on a BOGO60 sale the FCCs will differ in price between the first and second passengers. 

Port fees get refunded to the original method of payment.

Hi everyone, I have 2 cruises scheduled within the next several weeks, the first is in 2 weeks and the other is in April.  My husband still wants to go, but one of my concerns is we're taking our daughter and her friend. Also I'm worried how people will react when they hear we've been on a cruise,  (not to mention what the schools will think).  I work for a dr and I'm around patients every day, my husband is a small business owner that works in client's homes.  I know cancelling would be the obvious choice, and it's certainly an option, but for the sake of this forum let's just assume we're going anyways, how would you react if my kids went to your kid's schools, or you came into my clinic? 

Available test kits would make this a "no-brainer", but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

BTW, I'm grateful Carnival is trying to save cancellations, and I appreciate the $200, but honestly the money they'd lose from a single empty cabin is ten times the amount of the incentive they're offering, it isn't a deciding factor for us.  

15 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Thank you! We are sailing on 24 March so it'll be 100% penalty. The complication now is that we booked through Cruise1st as a package inclusive of flight and hotel stay, hoping they won't be charging us much ?

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:28 PM, JohnK6404 said:

Too bad they did not add the OBC like Carnival ($200 for 7-night sailings) for those that choose to keep their current bookings...

Yeah, I'm being a little greedy! ?

Hoping for this too......would be some nice extra incentive to stick with current booked cruises for sure...

Is it Carnival or NCL that is offering the drink package for free as well with  this going on?

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Is it Carnival or NCL that is offering the drink package for free as well with  this going on?

I'm not sure...  Right now, I'm just hoping they do not start cancelling cruises at some point due to the mayhem going on now (mass cancellations).

55 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

So has Disney --- but that's probably connected to the closing of the parks since so many of their cruises are part of bundled packages that include park tickets

Forgot about Disney... Because of their prices we tried to instill a 'fear of the mouse' from a very young age with our kids, so I don't even think about them.